Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Diesel Dash Dilemma (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1288256-diesel-dash-dilemma.html)

Tugly 01-03-2014 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 13909305)
Composite Video.

Yes - Composite video. That is the type of video that is sent over a cable with an end that looks like it belongs in the back of a VCR (the yellow one). That is an RCA plug. Every head unit I've seen has an RCA plug, a BNC jack (another composite video connector - like for home security camera systems), or something proprietary for their "exclusive" camera they want you to buy.

The Boyo has an RCA plug at the head end of the cable and a funky-tiny connector nearest the camera. This small connector makes sense for two reasons: It's easier to pass the wire through a smaller hole (if needed), and it's easier to seal with the shrink tubing included in the package. The Boyo carries the power and the video in the same cable from the cab, so no need to string two cables down the length of the cab, or tie in with the B/U lamps.

This brings up an interesting point: Whatever backup cam you get, really seal the connector(s) outside the cab... and make sure the camera is waterproof. My last camera was drowned many times at the boat launch (very low mount) and had zero issues. It even worked after the Instalift incident, but the lens was cracked... so a Boyo now sits back there.

I am not saying "Boyo is the one true camera - we must all buy them." I'm saying I've dealt with more analog cameras than the average Joe, and the Boyo is of the quality that impresses me. If you find a camera you think can work for you, compare the reviews to those of the Boyo and you will have a reference point.

Caveat here: I can't remember if the cable was long enough. Sorry. I can't remember how the install went... but I recall dancing around the area near the oil cooler for some reason. For me personally, a short cable would be a non-event (making it unmemorable)... because I have so many cables in my inventory. If the cable is too short, Radio Shack will have the cables needed to extend the length of the video/power cable at the front of the truck.

Tugly 01-03-2014 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by caedo (Post 13909371)
Sorry to bring this back up, but this was referring to a gopro streaming to an idevice. If someone were too install an iPad in the dash as Jason pointed out on the first page,

one could potentially set up a couple gopros in certain areas to periodically monitor load or any other thing you could possibly imagine that you can't see through your mirrors. How sweet!!

The GoPro is $300 a pop, and I have never set mine up for streaming live video... so I'm unsure if it can even do it. If you get past that point, you would then need to have an intermediate device to make it stream to an iPad or Android. This is all a very expensive/complex way of doing something that is easily done with equipment design to specifically do what you ask: [LINK] You're looking for a multi-channel unit.

Dan V 01-03-2014 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 13909026)
So when I do find one that will work for my needs I'll need someone to set up for me. Because after reading some of the treads on xda I am even more lost then when I started.....but due to this tread I know more than I did about the subject. Thanks :-wink

That Android unit link, and that the xda forum folks are "rooting" appear to come ready to play, right out of the box. They are apparently rooting these units to enable other mods that they deem worthy. And quite likely something they deem worthy *we* may find worthy.

Mongo INTERESTED!!

Tugly 01-03-2014 07:12 AM

At the bottom of that link: "The iPad does not support a wired video input. IP/wifi camera's require a router and have an unacceptable lag for use in a car. We suggest a rear view mirror replacement. I like the Rydeen™ mirrors because of their OEM appearance."

caedo 01-03-2014 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13909478)
The GoPro is $300 a pop, and I have never set mine up for streaming live video... so I'm unsure if it can even do it. If you get past that point, you would then need to have an intermediate device to make it stream to an iPad or Android. This is all a very expensive/complex way of doing something that is easily done with equipment design to specifically do what you ask: [LINK] You're looking for a multi-channel unit.

Yes, $300, right in line with any good quality multi-channel (which themselves are--as stated--notorious for bad picture quality). A GoPro has unmatched picture quality.
Yes they can live stream.
Yes, you would need an internet connection of some sort to stream. But woopty doo, almost all smart phones are capable of producing a hotspot. So I guess if you dont have a smart phone or designated WiFi hotspot in your vehicle then you are out of luck.
And what system can be mounted on the back of a 35' toy hauler as easily as a GoPro? and then removed with a little unlatching... without having to be wired?

I'm not completely familiar with mobile electronics or vehicle camera's, but this makes sense to me (I think).

Tugly 01-03-2014 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by caedo (Post 13909525)
And what system can be mounted on the back of a 35' toy hauler as easily as a GoPro? and then removed with a little unlatching... without having to be wired?

Ah... a specific goal. So you're saying the GoPro now has an attachment that broadcasts wirelessly and fits inside the waterproof case... with a battery life that will support broadcasting to your truck for the duration of your usual drive. I need to look into this, it's news to me.

I actually planned for something similar: I have two powered video cables going to the back of the truck (if you're going to run cable - run cable): One is for the B/U cam on the license plate, the other is to connect to a cam on the back of the boat. Stringing wire on a trailer is a minor event... then it's just a matter of a waterproof connector and an appropriate mount on the trailer.

Dan V 01-03-2014 07:52 AM

Rich...I can see a market for live feed video....in the horse compartment of horse trailers.

caedo 01-03-2014 07:58 AM

Yeah, the GoPro sends in itself. Battery life doing this.... Idk. And unlike a wired camera mounted on a trailer, it's easily transportable.

Exactly Dan.

Tugly 01-03-2014 09:16 AM

I absolutely agree that having a camera on a trailer is a great safety feature, and there are IP cameras on the market that will do this just fine, without having to jump through the GoPro hoops where you are limited by a battery. The GoPro camera itself is not weatherproof, only a sealed case makes it so... and that does not lend itself to a power cable.

[LINK]

The most basic unit with a halfway-good image and signal is at least $150 for each camera... so watch out for "bargains". Lorex, Q-see, Swann, and the like are not bottom of the barrel, but they're on the threshold of "don't go below this line".

dn29626 01-03-2014 10:31 AM

Sounds like GoPro is still in the running. I like the idea of transportable to where it is needed.

Tugly 01-03-2014 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dn29626 (Post 13910166)
Sounds like GoPro is still in the running.

Let us know how that works out.

Skip1970 01-03-2014 10:48 AM

people would steal the gopro off the back if you left it on there.

A/Ox4 01-03-2014 10:52 AM

The GoPro can wirelessly stream video no problem. It broadcasts its own wifi network. That is fine, and I have done it to android and idevices all the time. But using a GoPro as a back up camera is still a silly idea to me. I dont know WHERE you are seeing backup cameras for $300 but I wouldnt buy them. Yeah, sure, they are multi channel... But so are mine (with special custom modifications). As for on the back of a toy hauler or in the horse trailer... You must not be familiar with the range of the GoPro wifi. You pretty much have to be standing within 10-15 feet. With no obstructions. Also.. GoPro Hero 3 battery life is terrible. I dont know what GoPro says it is, but real world time is 30min-ish with no way to hardwire power if it is in the case.

Here is how my system is set up. One camera on the front, one on each mirror, and one on the rear. Very easy to add more cameras, or you could have it set up to be in the trailer, behind the trailer, etc. And these are just standard back up cameras that cost almost nothing. Only side cameras are shown because thats all that was hooked up at the time.

caedo 01-03-2014 10:52 AM

Yeah, they would, as they could also steal the camera with a couple blows to the bracket and a snip of the wires. The difference is that when parked. The GoPro can be removed and stowed securely. Also, in the case that a person has more than one trailer. Such as a contractor like my dad who has 3 dump trailers, a gooseneck, a car trailer, and a handful of other pieces of equipment that get hooked behind or trailers that get borrowed. The GoPro works on all of them.

caedo 01-03-2014 10:54 AM

Hmm, okay. I was not familiar with how limited the wifi signal was.