Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Diesel Dash Dilemma (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1288256-diesel-dash-dilemma.html)

JT250 01-02-2014 08:28 AM

Rich I am almost positive my head unit has an HDMI input on the back. The reverse specific is old analog so guess you would have to manually select it for the hd which I do anyway.

Tugly 01-02-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by JT250 (Post 13905768)
Rich I am almost positive my head unit has an HDMI input on the back. The reverse specific is old analog so guess you would have to manually select it for the hd which I do anyway.

Sorry... that is most likely an HDMI output for a separate screen. An HDMI input for a small screen that has its own video sources (SD, DVD, MPG, camera, etc...) would be a bit weird.

A/Ox4 01-02-2014 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13905796)

Sorry... that is most likely an HDMI output for a separate screen. An HDMI input for a small screen that has its own video sources (SD, DVD, MPG, camera, etc...) would be a bit weird.

I was thinking the same but even an HDMI out is weird when you think that it's probably going to a headrest monitor.

I would be interested to see if it actually has an HDMI port at all. I can't imagine that it would.possibly just the input for compatibility. I know they like to be compatible with game consoles but I dont think there are any consoles that have abandoned the component connectors as an option.

Regardless.. That doesn't make the gopro a logical or feasable choice.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Tim Hodgson 01-02-2014 10:36 AM

Newsflash!

Tarzansg is willing to play ball and post his experience with a headunit that looks like BadDogKuzz's. See post #16 and following where he responds to E350's (my) query and promises to post his results:

E-257AGNR Android 4.1 Double DIN Head Unit - Page 2 - xda-developers

Hey Tugly, is that USB cord which was shipped with the unit which Tarzansg is holding a OBDII dongle?

(Hmmm, I am on my way to earning the same lack of respect on that forum as I have earned here . . .)

Tugly 01-02-2014 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson (Post 13906132)
Hey Tugly, is that USB cord which was shipped with the unit which Tarzansg is holding a OBDII dongle?

It took me a while to suss out what I was seeing in the photo, because the inputs don't match what I thought I saw. There is a micro-USB port on the front of the unit, presumably for the iPhone or whatever. There is what's called a CAN connector from the back... this needs more looking into. If you look carefully at that picture with the cable, that's not two ends of one cable - that's two cable ends. The diagram in one of the photos shows a big proprietary wire harness that has a Medusa's head.

In my reading... Jellybean is being phased out, and Kitkat takes the Android to the next level. I suspect we're seeing China "clearing the shelves" for the next generation of Android that may also have the next generation of processor... which is a substantial leap. The more I read, the more I want to wait on the OBDII-capable head unit.

Did anybody ever buy an HDDVD? We're there again.

jackstraw 01-02-2014 01:37 PM

I had to skip over most of the thread, cuz I can't afford to be putting in wonderful new electronics in the front as much as I would like.

But I was lucky when I bought my truck used that the stereo in there had a line-in jack. That was key to moving from discs to using iPods in the truck. I used to drive around with a box of a dozen folios holding discs. Now I have three iPods with 2 ~ 5K tracks on each one, though I usually plug my phone into the iPod controller and play tracks from there, so when the phone rings the music shuts off automatically, and message chimes come in over the music too.

I use a little wireless controller that sits on the steering wheel. That is a key way to enjoy music driving down the road. It's not much farther to reach over to the stereo or just pick up the iPod and run it from the screen….but that little controller on the steering wheel is the best piece of road music technology I have ever owned.

timmyboy76 01-02-2014 05:51 PM

with an Android unit, i wonder if the have a USB port? If so, i wonder then, if the Verizon or T-Mobil "hotsticks" will then, turn the unit into a mobile internet devise as well?

Tugly 01-02-2014 07:00 PM

A little reading is in order for that one.

Tim Hodgson 01-02-2014 07:10 PM

Timmyboy, I don't know what this actually means, but the first picture in the post shows a schematic on the back of the unit and letter "D" shows two separate 3G wifi's.

Dan V 01-02-2014 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13907875)
A little reading is in order for that one.

Ain't that the truth!

Tugly 01-02-2014 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 (Post 13907654)
with an Android unit, i wonder if the have a USB port? If so, i wonder then, if the Verizon or T-Mobil "hotsticks" will then, turn the unit into a mobile internet devise as well?

Things are getting a bit weird with the wireless nomenclature and what I perceive as some confusion.

Bluetooth - Extreme short-range (within a room). Good for linking things nearby, like a phone to a head unit or an OBDII port - or like a wireless keyboard to a PC.

WiFi
(or Wireless Local Area Network)- Short range (within a suburban property line). This is 802.11 B/G/N (the higher the letter, the faster the connection). This is what laptops and portable devices use to wirelessly connect to in a home or business. This is not the internet per se... it is a local network. If the LAN/WLAN is connected to a cable or DSL modem, then you get a convention home broadband internet connection.

Modem - This is the device that ties in with the world and brings it to your PC or Local Area Network. There is the plain ol' phone modem that peaks out at 56K baud, the DSL modem that can get upwards of 1 Meg baud, and the cable mode with connections in my area at up to 100 Meg baud... but I don't know the limits. Most of these are wired, but there are short-range wireless variations (like house to telephone pole)

3G/4G - Intermediate range - within a few square miles of each cell tower. This is internet access over the cellular network, so this is really the only true "wireless internet" that we're talking about for consumers.

With that being said: Your USB port is good for peripheral equipment to attach to the Android - like a GPS bud... but you would use the built-in WiFI to connect to the "hotstick". The hotstick would then provide internet through 3G/4G. Think of it as a modem/router in one piece.

ztodd377 01-02-2014 10:12 PM

Tugly, do you know how the boyo hooks up to the head unit? Is it through RCA cable or another connection?

BadDogKuzz 01-02-2014 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13908677)
Things are getting a bit weird with the wireless nomenclature and what I perceive as some confusion.

Rich first of all thank you for teaching me a new word "Nonmenclature" And it is the perfect word for where I have a huge learning curve. So thank you for explaining some of the terms which most of them I understood. Because the nonmenclature like Jellybean, Kitkat, Elm dongle,OBDII dongle,USB-ROM, rooted, linux modules, fox-fi and Medusa head (LOL) is where I get lost. Here is the thing even if I do get all the hardware and softwares figured out as far what will work with what. I still will never be able to set up these units. So when I do find one that will work for my needs I'll need someone to set up for me. Because after reading some of the treads on xda I am even more lost then when I started.....but due to this tread I know more than I did about the subject. Thanks :-wink

A/Ox4 01-03-2014 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by ztodd377 (Post 13908816)
Tugly, do you know how the boyo hooks up to the head unit? Is it through RCA cable or another connection?

Composite Video.

caedo 01-03-2014 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by A/Ox4 (Post 13904410)
It would take a lot of work to get it to work, and its way more camera that you need for something like that. No one needs a 1080p backup camera for a screen that is most likely 640x480 lol. Besides, there is no direct interface that would work.

You can stream to an iApple device, or an Android device, but there is no way to hard wire the camera to power while its in the case.

Sorry to bring this back up, but this was referring to a gopro streaming to an idevice. If someone were too install an iPad in the dash as Jason pointed out on the first page,

Originally Posted by mechelement (Post 13902325)

or even stream over a laptop, one could potentially set up a couple gopros in certain areas to periodically monitor load or any other thing you could possibly imagine that you can't see through your mirrors. How sweet!!