Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Spark Coils....when to replace? Test? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1287452-spark-coils-when-to-replace-test.html)

ToMang07 12-28-2013 09:17 AM

Spark Coils....when to replace? Test?

Ok, trying to get my brother's 04 F-150 5.4L running better for him. He's currently based in NY with no access to tools, so I can only work on it when he's on leave. I KNOW he needs plugs....it has ~125k and they have never been done. (Runs like it's missing/skipping.) I plan on 8 Autolites and buying a Lisle plug removal tool.

Is there a way to test coils to see if they need to be replaced?

Or do you just replace the rubber boots and call it good?

Any other important maintenance stuff we should do? o2 sensors?

When I do the plugs, I plan to run the engine till warm, soak them with PB Blaster, set for an hour, crack them 1/8-1/4 turn, spray with PB again, set for another hour then attempt removal. For reinstall I plan to coat the plug (not the electrode part) with silver high temp anti-seize.

Any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance!

Stewart_H 12-28-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 13888523)
Is there a way to test coils to see if they need to be replaced?

There are testers available.

Coil-on-plug Cop Quick Ignition Tester | anyscancncoltd | TradersCity

General Technologies TA500 SmarTach tool review

Just to show two examples.

Stewart

ToMang07 12-28-2013 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 13888672)

Yeah....I think I'll stick to the "Replace the plugs and see what happens next" method, lol

Stewart_H 12-28-2013 11:52 AM

Run your AE on it and see if there are any codes before you do the wrenching, then check it again after.

Stewart

ToMang07 12-28-2013 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 13888939)
Run your AE on it and see if there are any codes before you do the wrenching, then check it again after.

Stewart

P0306 is the re-occurring code I get with AE...he had it scanned at Autozone and they had code P0174 (Bank 2 too lean) but that could be due to the CAI and dual Flowmaster exhaust he has. (Looking to get it tuned soon.) I never saw that code when I scanned it. He had cleared everything after by disconnecting the battery.

ToMang07 12-28-2013 12:24 PM

Also, I sent him with my laptop/AE (since it's been acting up) and now it will only connect to "Generic Powertrain" not "Enhanced"... Any ideas why or how to fix it???

Stewart_H 12-28-2013 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ToMang07 (Post 13889029)
Also, I sent him with my laptop/AE (since it's been acting up) and now it will only connect to "Generic Powertrain" not "Enhanced"... Any ideas why or how to fix it???

I've never had that problem.

Maybe try and reload the software?

Ask Tugly too...he seems to be really familiar with the product. You can also ask Clay and see if he has any ideas.

Stewart