Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Best oil for a 460 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1287200-best-oil-for-a-460-a.html)

AC Diesel 12-26-2013 08:03 PM

Best oil for a 460

I'm looking for suggestions on what brand and weight of engine oil would be best for my new to me F250 460. I'm sure this will be like opening a can of worms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Island'r 12-26-2013 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by AC Diesel (Post 13883942)
I'm looking for suggestions on what brand and weight of engine oil would be best for my new to me F250 460. I'm sure this will be like opening a can of worms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

I run 10W30 year round, Valvoline if I can get it... If not I go with Quaker state...

If It got colder here in the winter I'd go 5W30, but that's not the case

Island'r 12-26-2013 08:09 PM

Other than that, change it regularly... Oh and don't cheap out on the filter... Get a WIX Or Motorcraft, and steer clear of the Fram filters...

AC Diesel 12-26-2013 08:17 PM

10-4 on the Fram's, I quit using them a while ago. I try to use Motorcraft but sometimes I end up with Purolator's.

Big_Al59 12-26-2013 08:43 PM

Run rotella 15-40 with motorcraft filters.

eakermeld 12-26-2013 09:33 PM

My 89 and 90 both get 15W-40 and it's worked good for many years.

blkF250HD 12-26-2013 09:49 PM

I use either Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 or Castrol high mileage 5w30. Always Purolator Pure One filters.

BruteFord 12-27-2013 01:09 AM

WOW TWO 15W40 recommendations without nearly enough info.:-X15

Not enough info here to give a specific recommendation to the OP, year, miles, oil pressure, weather, budget, usage, change interval, etc.

A few tips;

- Unless there is a burning/leaking issue synthetic is almost always A LOT better.

- Unless you don't want to change it often(less then say 7500 miles) AND are using conventional oil then a lower first number is always better.

- The second number is the most complicated choice. As above if conventional and not changed often then higher(40) might be better in some cases. Otherwise stay with 30 unless there is a hot idle oil pressure or other issue(knocking).

- Zinc, there used to be a fair amount of a zinc based additive in motor oils. The EPA has mandated it's reduction in oils. Your engine has a flat tapped camshaft, this means you need that zinc additive for your cam to live. Diesel oils often have more zinc, "racing" oils often do, or buy an additive.

- Types of synthetics, not all synthetics use the same type of base stock. This is a controversial topic among oil companies, most won't come out and say what there base stock is. Only 2 we can be sure of are a high end base stock, amsoil and redline.

- Filters, drain back valve is a good thing, too much filter(low micron) is bad if you have oil pressure issues or it takes a long time to build oil pressure on start ups. What oil you use effects what filter is better.

Me, I use Rotella T6 5W40 and fram filters in my 460, I find it's the best compromise, why;
- Synthetic, likely a class 3 but a 5 would be more expensive
- The 5 is better then 10, 0 would be better but is more expensive
- The 40 is cause my engine is worn out, my oil pressure in gear idling when hot was too low with a 30.
- It's a diesel oil with more zinc(this is up for debate with rotella now)
- It's cost effective
Fram:
- I dig the grip
- Has drain back valve
- I have no need for a high level of filtering
- Buy them on sale.

Big_Al59 12-27-2013 02:03 AM

The op asked for suggestions, thats what he got. And like ya said there was not much info provided. Its also very tedious typing much out on this phone. Op, you could check in the oil forum, sure its been discussed many times. Also bobistheoilguym.com is a good source of info.

BruteFord 12-27-2013 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Al59 (Post 13884763)
The op asked for suggestions, thats what he got. And like ya said there was not much info provided. Its also very tedious typing much out on this phone. Op, you could check in the oil forum, sure its been discussed many times. Also bobistheoilguym.com is a good source of info.

So what are you saying, that it's better to give bad advice then no advice?

timbersteel 12-27-2013 08:18 AM

The only disagreement I have is using a Fram. They are lethal and catastrophic to engines. After seeing first hand splitting at the seam and blowing oil everywhere not to mention countless videos and forums mentioning their failures, I won't use them period.

Fastback460 12-27-2013 08:39 AM

I use 10w-30 Castrol GTX high mileage part synthetic. And my Dad has always used Fram filters in all his vehicles. So I guess that's why I always used Fram, maybe we're just lucky since we've never had a problem with them.

AC Diesel 12-27-2013 08:43 AM

Sorry guy's, the pickup has 100k. It seems to have good oil pressure according to the factory 91 ford gauge. I use Valvoline in my gas engines and Rotella in my diesel pickup. I've never used any synthetics, just 10-30 or 10-40. I'm just wondering if this is good enough oil or if there is something better. I just purchased this pickup and don't know what previous owner was using, and not real sure if it mattered.

Thanks for the input!! Is there any more?

timbersteel 12-27-2013 08:54 AM

A fishing hook for that "can of worms" you opened!!

Lol! I would get a REAL oil psi gauge installed and check cold startup psi, cold idle psi and hot idle psi. I'd use dino for the beast and stay within 5-10 w-30 unless you want to spend the extra and just log oil consumption.

Big_Al59 12-27-2013 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by BruteFord (Post 13884769)
So what are you saying, that it's better to give bad advice then no advice?

Just saying he got what he asked for. Im not typing up a half page answer on my phone. Especially since there is no real right or wrong answer, only lots of opinions. Sorta like the gas vs diesel threads or 6 vs 7.3