Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Engine Oil Temp v Coolant Temp (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1286832-engine-oil-temp-v-coolant-temp.html)

stinson 108-1 12-25-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 13879627)
Jim I too use a IR gun and check all kinds of things on the truck. I find it very helpful when towing since I go around check wheel bearing hubs and tires on truck & trailer at stops. But I would be really interested in hearing more about the thermal imager you are talking about. Because the only ones I have seen are high dollars units $$ like the ones fireman use. Have you found one that is in a working mans price range ?

By the way Merry Chrismas to all !

I honestly haven't seen a price on any, but the ones I saw were for mechanics. I saw them just yesterday on the velocity channel, one of the auto\ mechanics shows. I carry my IR gun in the tool box in the truck and use it to check the things you mentioned. Very handy. sticking caliper pins or pistons show up very easily. Also shows things like miss firing cylinders, bad u joint etc. Can really help point you in the right direction.

CGMKCM 12-25-2013 07:10 PM

If your truck came with ABCAB cold weather group 1 package the oil temperature is controlled by a oil cooler bypass and should stay around 170* in cold weather. If you don't have that package oil temperature will be tied to the coolant temperature and should be 10* to 20* higher then the coolant temperature.

If I was operating my truck in near zero * temperatures I would partially block air flow through my radiator using cardboard until my oil temperature reached 170* There are also commercially made covers available that fasten with snaps that can be used, these covers can be adjusted to block the air flow.

cleatus12r 12-25-2013 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bigtruc (Post 13879496)
I guess -26 without the wind chill factored in is just too much for these trucks to handle

The "wind chill" has no effect on the parts of the vehicle.

As far as the plastic, metal, and glass components (and the fluids contained therein) of the truck are concerned, -26 degrees is -26 degrees whether putzing around the cul-de-sac or blasting down the interstate trying to outrun the highway patrol. The only time "wind chill" becomes a factor is when actual liquid (water for example) is in direct contact with the surrounding air.

Tugly 12-26-2013 06:15 AM

Yes... the "wind chill effect" is when the wind makes the temperature "feel as if it's" colder. The truck doesn't feel, the temperature on the overhead is what it is at idle or 100 MPH.

Now... for a cooling system that counts on surface contact with the air (like a radiator or a transmission cooler), quickly replacing warmer air with colder air is more effective than letting the air sit. This is why you're likely listening to a fan right now (in your computer).

Blocking the nose of a diesel is wide-spread, you see it every day on big trucks. When I want to learn the proper care and feeding of Stinky, I look at the relatives on his father's side.

Dan V 12-26-2013 07:01 AM

Cody..I agree that -26 is minus -26, but doesn't a super cooled air mass remove heat faster than a warmer one? The engine may have trouble reaching operating temps, and does cool to ambient temp quicker, but never gets colder than ambient temp.

I hear all the time, "It was -10 last nite and the wind chill was -30, man I can't believe the car started at -30."

Well, the car wasn't -30..the car was -10.

SARDiverDan 12-26-2013 10:24 AM

Have no idea why I am talking trans temp, one of those days I guess......