Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   broken down on the side of the road..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1285590-broken-down-on-the-side-of-the-road.html)

JNG6 12-17-2013 02:19 PM

broken down on the side of the road.....

so i was driving along & my 2000 f250 7.3 started to chug then died. I pulled over & it started right back up. I did some running around & was on my way home & it did it again only this time it would barely idle (same chugging). It died again & now it wont start. Turns over strong.....any quick ideas before i break the bank on a tow?

MexicanScaper987 12-17-2013 05:17 PM

Checking the UVCH pins and connection might be a good start.. I had an issue on my OBS with a few burned pins..

Shake-N-Bake 12-17-2013 05:22 PM

How cold is it there where you drive? Sounds like a fuel flow issue. Is there any chance the fuel is gelling? Unscrew the lid on the fuel filter and see if it's full. It should be pretty close to the top.

Are you around 1/4 tank by any chance?
Did you fill up recently? If so, are you certain you pumped diesel into the tank?

Just throwing out ideas...

SC_Hoaty 12-17-2013 08:06 PM

Post this also in the 7.3 forum. Those guys will know if it is a CPS or some other culprit.

JWC 3 12-17-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by SC_Hoaty (Post 13854940)
Post this also in the 7.3 forum. Those guys will know if it is a CPS or some other culprit.

Bump ... :-drink

JNG6 12-17-2013 10:45 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I replaced the valve cover gaskets/wiring harness about 1000 miles ago but I will double check that something weird didn't happen with pins. I had an extra CPS in the glove box and switched that out with no change (that was my initial thought). It was in the 50's today but we just broke out of a week long cold snap where it never got out of single digits. I'm around 1/4 tank and I mixed in a fuel additive to help with gelling and had no problems through 3/4's of a tank except for a bit of a drop in mpg. When it was chugging before it totally died I was thinking water in the fuel from the temp swings but I would have thought it would burn it off and blow it through the system and start after a few tries. Ill keep everyone posted and thanks again for the input!

How do I move this thread to the 7.3 forum?

Hotpocket 12-17-2013 11:59 PM

post a new one there

Pitcrw6 12-18-2013 01:46 AM

If Stewart H sees this he might move it over for you.

SC_Hoaty 12-18-2013 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by JNG6 (Post 13855637)

Originally Posted by Pitcrw6 (Post 13855888)
If Stewart H sees this he might move it over for you.

You can hit the report button on your post to get a mod's attention. It it the exclamation point in the red circle on the upper right side of each post. Just type in your request in the report window.

However, I would just do what Hotpocket suggests -

Originally Posted by Hotpocket (Post 13855789)
post a new one there

Let them know what is wrong and what you have already tried. Good folks over there.

Tact 12-18-2013 06:45 AM

Check your fuses, especially the 30amp fuse to your fuel bowl heater. If in fact that it is blown, unplug your electrical connection to the bowl, leave it unplugged and replace the fuse.

Snowseeker 12-18-2013 07:39 AM

What Tact said and drain the fuel bowl and turn the key and watch to make sure it fills up again.

phillips91 12-18-2013 09:04 AM

I got it moved for you :-X22. My first thought was the cps too. I had mine go out once. Just died at a red light. My next thought would be the ficm. That went out on mine too and and gave me the same symptoms you described.

F250_ 12-18-2013 09:07 AM

A sticking IPR can also cause similar symptoms.

ranagent 12-18-2013 09:52 AM

Thanks for the input everyone. I replaced the valve cover gaskets/wiring harness about 1000 miles ago but I will double check that something weird didn't happen with pins. I had an extra CPS in the glove box and switched that out with no change (that was my initial thought). It was in the 50's today but we just broke out of a week long cold snap where it never got out of single digits. I'm around 1/4 tank and I mixed in a fuel additive to help with gelling and had no problems through 3/4's of a tank except for a bit of a drop in mpg. When it was chugging before it totally died I was thinking water in the fuel from the temp swings but I would have thought it would burn it off and blow it through the system and start after a few tries. Ill keep everyone posted and thanks again for the input!

They reason someone asked if you were at 1/4 tank is because the fuel pickup in the tank falls off and you are effectively out of fuel when the gauge shows 1/4. Put some fuel in it and see what happens.

Pitcrw6 12-18-2013 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by SC_Hoaty (Post 13855963)
You can hit the report button on your post to get a mod's attention. It it the exclamation point in the red circle on the upper right side of each post. Just type in your request in the report window.

However, I would just do what Hotpocket suggests -

Let them know what is wrong and what you have already tried. Good folks over there.

So that's what that's for. Thanks, did not know that.