Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Oil change interval with Oil Bypass Filtration? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1283595-oil-change-interval-with-oil-bypass-filtration.html)

fridgeddiesel 12-07-2013 09:27 AM

Oil change interval with Oil Bypass Filtration?

Around the start of the new year last year I installed a FS-2500 oil filtration bypass filter and switched to Schaeffer's 5W-40 Synthetic oil. Since then I have been using a lab to monitor and test my oil at 5,000 then 10,000 and now 20,000 miles with new FS-2500 filters installed every 10,000 miles. Oil tests still coming back as good.

How many miles between full oil and filter changes are other people getting with an OBFS installed? Even though my tests are still coming back good at 20,000 miles I am wondering if I should change the oil anyway. I am going from religious 3,000 mile oil changes to a completely different system. The truck gets a lot of hard miles in the high Colorado mountains, off-road, extreme temperatures, western desert and heavy towing. Almost no interstate miles.

F350-6 12-07-2013 08:57 PM

Go read on bobistheoilguy.com If you've got an oil question, the answer will be there.

I've heard of others going past 20k with a bypass set up and lab tests, just can't bring myself to do something like that.

oldbird1965 12-07-2013 11:00 PM

I'm with Chris, I also have the FS2500 but the most I"ve ever gone is 11K. I hope your using Shaeffer's free oil sample kits. Looks like your using the 9000, I use the 7000. Even though my samples come back good, I just couldn't go that far.

Ford4Life7.3 12-08-2013 04:48 AM

I too would have a hard time going 20k+ miles between oil changes, but realistically- If the additive levels are good, the oil hasn't sheared, and theres no contaminants, isn't it technically good to go? Is there something else the oil tests don't determine that is critical to the health of the oil?

fridgeddiesel 12-08-2013 09:46 AM

I'm using Schaeffer's 9000. The tests keep coming back good but I too am having a hard time continuing past 20,000 miles. That is the reason I posted my results and to get opinions. From 3,000 miles intervals to 20,000 mile intervals is a large leap for me. I know the oil was still good at 3,000 miles, just full of soot. Now the soot is filtered out and the oil is still good but I am thinking about keeping the change intervals to no more than 20,000 miles which is about how many miles the truck gets in a year.

fridgeddiesel 12-08-2013 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 13819537)
Go read on bobistheoilguy.com If you've got an oil question, the answer will be there.

Thanks, that was a great resource.

JCart 12-08-2013 10:09 AM

What interval are you changing out the stock filter and are is it using any oil? I'm thinking if the analysis is good, not burning oil I'd put on a Donaldson ELF7405 (iirc) it's a standard and bypass long life filter for stock location and keep running it. Bob the oil guy forum has lotsa good info read up and let us know....

jrc

oldbird1965 12-08-2013 10:14 AM

I run the 7000 because it doesn't shear down as fast. About 6K to 8K is about as long as I can stand it until I change it. I run the crap out of it pulling my 5er up hills is one of the biggest reasons I change the oil. I get good test results back thru Shaeffer's free tests.

fridgeddiesel 12-08-2013 10:20 AM

I have not changed out the stock filter. Only planning on changing it with full oil change. Changing the FS-2500 filter every 10,000 miles as recommended by Filtration Solutions. So far I have 19,000 miles on the oil and have added 7 quarts of oil since the last oil change. 270,000 miles on truck.

fridgeddiesel 12-08-2013 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 13820889)
I run the 7000 because it doesn't shear down as fast. About 6K to 8K is about as long as I can stand it until I change it. I run the crap out of it pulling my 5er up hills is one of the biggest reasons I change the oil. I get good test results back thru Shaeffer's free tests.

My friend who owns an excavation company swears by 7000 and gets it in 55 gal drums. He gives me his empty drums for my waste oil and burns it in his oil burner at his shop. He is the one who turned me on the Schaeffer's. The reason I like the 9000 is that it comes in 5W-40 and it is -0* here for a minimum of 3 months of the year and seldom hits 80* in the summer. The 5W-40 helps turn the engine over quicker when she has been sitting on the job site in the cold all day or sitting far in the back country hunting.

I was not aware Schaeffer offered free tests. I will have to look into that.

JCart 12-08-2013 10:33 AM

Oh ok I run a home brew set up on my Red truck and swap out the Donaldson ELF 7405 ever +- 10,000 kms running Mobile one full synthetic with an over the highway set up with Luber-finer by pass filter. Oil volume is 24 liters (+-25 us quarts) I extend out the full changes to once a year. 30-40 k miles.

kdwellssr 02-08-2016 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 13819933)
I'm with Chris, I also have the FS2500 but the most I"ve ever gone is 11K. I hope your using Shaeffer's free oil sample kits. Looks like your using the 9000, I use the 7000. Even though my samples come back good, I just couldn't go that far.

I'm new at taking oil samples. I once did that for a big gas well company but never for myself. How does the free sample test kits work? So far I've paid for mine. How do you get a sample without catching it as the oil is draining into the changing pan?

oldbird1965 02-08-2016 06:22 PM

When I buy the oil I get a sample kit from the distributor. I clean around the plug and when I put the plug I let it drain for a while and then stick the bottle in the stream to fill it. When I first got my FS2500 I got a adapter thing where you could get some oil out. It was mounted at the filter head. Over the years I have lost it and I never take a sample in between changing my oil. The results come back to their website where you log in to view the results.

Ford4Life7.3 02-08-2016 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 16025247)
When I buy the oil I get a sample kit from the distributor. I clean around the plug and when I put the plug I let it drain for a while and then stick the bottle in the stream to fill it. When I first got my FS2500 I got a adapter thing where you could get some oil out. It was mounted at the filter head. Over the years I have lost it and I never take a sample in between changing my oil. The results come back to their website where you log in to view the results.

I installed a SOS sample port that we use on heavy equipment at work. Basically a little nipple that you stick a needle into while the engines running. Oil pressure pushes oil through the needle, through some plastic tubing and into the samole bottle. No mess, and can be done between changes easily. Plus, you know you arent getting a sample of all the sediment at the bottom if the pan, or just "good oil" after any heavy metals may have drained out, if that makes sense.

fordman67 02-08-2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3 (Post 16025474)
I installed a SOS sample port that we use on heavy equipment at work. Basically a little nipple that you stick a needle into while the engines running. Oil pressure pushes oil through the needle, through some plastic tubing and into the samole bottle. No mess, and can be done between changes easily. Plus, you know you arent getting a sample of all the sediment at the bottom if the pan, or just "good oil" after any heavy metals may have drained out, if that makes sense.

Hey..who is that new guy?!?!?