Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Regen frequency (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282212-regen-frequency.html)

aquaman 11-29-2013 11:49 PM

Regen frequency

Just wondering how many miles you guys typically go between completed regens...

The truck has 54K miles now. I have the latest -HCC version factory cal and the last 2 regens now that it has cooled off a bit outside (mid 50F's) has been 175 and 200 miles. The last regen was a bunch of freeway before it, so I would have expected more miles. I've been driving predominantly empty this time.

I used to push 225~275 miles between completed regens, so this is a bit unusual. Last year this time, I had one regen that was about 175 miles, but the rest were 225+ miles.

Last tank also got a full strength dose of Diesel Kleen, so that doesn't appear to be the major factor...

Maybe it's time to drop the DPF and blow some ash out...

senix 11-30-2013 06:13 AM

to few of miles for the DPF to be full, aside from any other symptoms. I think it is normal.

GSchretter 11-30-2013 08:38 PM

80 to 125 miles until I disabled my EGR then regen went up to 450.

Midwest Dually 12-01-2013 08:12 AM

Surprisingly enough, i have laid down about 2300 miles since I bought mine. Most of it is highway driving (90%), and have gone into regen 3 or 4 times. Two of the times were when I was making short trips with hay, and idling mostly while I loaded and unloaded. I noticed min goes into regen more when its been idling a while, which is something I avoid doing as much as possible!

09powerstroke 12-10-2013 06:26 PM

DPF probs

My dpf has been regenerating like every 2-4 days. And just recently it started saying "Drive to clean". It always stays up there until I drive like 30+ mins. And now it saying that every couple of days. Is this normal, or is my dpf bad? I have alot of soot in the tailpipe, and it has always blown a little black smoke since I bought it.

bubbasz1 12-11-2013 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 09powerstroke (Post 13829661)
My dpf has been regenerating like every 2-4 days. And just recently it started saying "Drive to clean". It always stays up there until I drive like 30+ mins. And now it saying that every couple of days. Is this normal, or is my dpf bad? I have alot of soot in the tailpipe, and it has always blown a little black smoke since I bought it.

If you have soot on the tailpipe you have a DPF problem, either a crack or something, it will regen daily if you drive a lot but under normal non towing driving should go a couple hundred miles between cleaning.

Vinford 12-11-2013 11:27 AM

Mine hasn't done anything in the last 3 tanks of fuel.

Booma 12-11-2013 08:36 PM

Driving empty while only on the highway I get about 225-240 miles between regens and they last for about 20-25 minutes each (even though it is probably more about time above cleaning temp at the DPF than miles driven, I just wasn't watching the time so close, but figure about 70-75 mph). Daily driving back and forth to work (20 minutes of highway and 10 minutes of street each way) and that distance between regens drops significantly down to about every 140 miles. The regen takes about the same time/miles to complete, which makes it very easy to interrupt the process. And when it's interrupted it will start again once the engine is started again and up to temp (depending on if it was interrupted halfway through or if it was interrupted almost at the end of the regen cycle).

Big issue for me as my first oil analysis reported a 2% fuel dilution (borderline). I just mailed in a sample in which I had a lot more city driving and interrupted regens. Anxiously waiting those results!

I have a Flowmaster downpipe-back DPF/CAT delete pipe, Sinister Diesel EGR delete kit and a Spartan tuner that can fix everything. But I sure don't want a problem getting a warranty claim (another five and a half years to go before it expires) taken care of so I don't want to install any of it until that time.

If my mixed city/highway driving routine doesn't increase my oil dilution to the point that I think bearing wash, etc is damaging my engine over the long haul I may sell all that stuff.

Time will tell.

Mike

ArnieBarney 12-12-2013 10:59 AM

I regen once per tankful of fuel as a rule of thumb. I tow a 5 ton 5th wheel and the cycle likes to start when I hit a big hill climb. I'm only saying that because when we usually start our trip we have a small mountain to go over before we get anywhere. I'm sure the people behind me appreciate it when the truck burps the ash out especially in town.

flyineunos 12-15-2013 09:06 PM

My regens are also once per tank or 250-300 miles. I have actually more city driving than highway driving. The white smoke it blows during regen is like a giant smoke screen....

Engager 12-16-2013 04:57 PM

I go 600 miles between regens as per my trip odometer.

2010 F350 6.4L

Booma 12-16-2013 07:33 PM

Wow, how do you get 600 miles between regen's? Isn't that right at the default mileage that will automatically start a regen if it hasn't been done/completed prior to that? How do you not have a soot load in your dpf that is heavy enough to trigger a regen prior to that distance?

Sure wish I could figure out how to extend my regen cycles short of voiding my warranty by just removing all that stuff!

GSchretter 12-16-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Booma (Post 13850795)
Wow, how do you get 600 miles between regen's? Isn't that right at the default mileage that will automatically start a regen if it hasn't been done/completed prior to that? How do you not have a soot load in your dpf that is heavy enough to trigger a regen prior to that distance?

Sure wish I could figure out how to extend my regen cycles short of voiding my warranty by just removing all that stuff!

Mine would regen at 450 miles no matter how I drove

awsmev 12-16-2013 09:53 PM

Something to chuckle about

I was going 100miles between regens, every morning on the way into town it would start. My buddy at the dealer said to get rid of the dpf and get 5 more mpg. Luckly I live 2 miles out of the emissions area. So I bought a dpf delete tuner and cat / dpf delete pipe online. It came in the mail on Tuesday. I installed the tuner Tuesday night shutting off the regen figuring I would install the pipe on the weekend. Should be fine for 3 days right? NOT! Took 100 miles to clog the filter and leave me on the side of the road with my thumb out! Lesson learned! Put the pipe on last Saturday boy does it run great, little louder but that why I live out in the sticks. don't know the mpg yet, but its got to be better than the 12 I'm getting empty.

FORDSDOWNER 12-17-2013 09:33 AM

approx 200 miles between with regens lasting 7-10 miles.