Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Question for travis and the big power guys (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282193-question-for-travis-and-the-big-power-guys.html)

Tim Shultz 11-29-2013 09:33 PM

Question for travis and the big power guys

I got a estimate from a diesel performance shop with some black friday priceing for a "650hp kit" I'm just wondering if this is worth pulling the trigger on it, and if it will really net me 650hp, and SAFELY..
The Kit contains a T4 mounting kit, S467FMW turbo, superduty plenums,
Competition fuel system, ARP head studs, comp cams 910 springs with shim kit, chromoly smith brothers push rods, TS 6 posistion chip with gearhead tunes, superduty IC boots and clamps, FF 350/200 injectors. The total rounds out to $7,829.15 for a savings of around $800.

Help me make up my mind guys.. I'm not sure what truck I'm going to build up yet, but it will be one when I get home from Afghanistan.

tshrager 11-29-2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Shultz (Post 13792796)
I got a estimate from a diesel performance shop with some black friday priceing for a "650hp kit" I'm just wondering if this is worth pulling the trigger on it, and if it will really net me 650hp, and SAFELY..
The Kit contains a T4 mounting kit, S467FMW turbo, superduty plenums,
Competition fuel system, ARP head studs, comp cams 910 springs with shim kit, chromoly smith brothers push rods, TS 6 posistion chip with gearhead tunes, superduty IC boots and clamps, FF 350/200 injectors. The total rounds out to $7,829.15 for a savings of around $800.

Help me make up my mind guys.. I'm not sure what truck I'm going to build up yet, but it will be one when I get home from Afghanistan.

Just with rough numbers, I don't see a whole lot of savings there. I also don't see 650hp out of that combo. Maybe with those larger sticks, but I'm not sure 650 is "safe" in these trucks. The bottom end is very stout, but you're talking a lot of power.

Once again, thank you for your service!

oldbird1965 11-29-2013 10:17 PM

Sounds like the kit has the making of good power, I don't know about 650 hp though. What is the diesel shop?

Tim Shultz 11-29-2013 10:47 PM

Well I didn't want to be giving away a shops pricing, but its Irate. Just not real sure if its worth it. I'd honestly be happy if it netted 550hp. They claim they made "nearly" 650 on fuel, and 740 with a single stage of nos

ReBilld 11-29-2013 10:51 PM

Matt from Full Force runs about that exact set up, and I saw him dyno 600 hp at RRE. There was something wrong though and he wasn't making boost like he should. He said he has pulled 714 hp on that same dyno with a 50 shot of NOS. I think he is running a three stage water/meth injection system also.

tshrager 11-29-2013 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 13793052)
Matt from Full Force runs about that exact set up, and I saw him dyno 600 hp at RRE. There was something wrong though and he wasn't making boost like he should. He said he has pulled 714 hp on that same dyno with a 50 shot of NOS. I think he is running a three stage water/meth injection system also.

Well there you have it.

Tim Shultz 11-30-2013 12:34 AM

Is the pricing right though? Or would I be better off with maybe swamps? This is a short time deal, ends sunday so I gotta make a choice soon..

ReBilld 11-30-2013 07:59 AM

I'm not sure on the pricing.

Talyn 11-30-2013 08:34 AM

Waste of money.

Piece it together by yourself. The only time Kits will save you money in our trucks is when your buying something like lets say a T4 turbo kit.

It's hard to make 650 HP in these trucks.
450 is easy.
Getting over 500 takes a bit more work.

You'd really have to price it out on your own.
And it seems like stuff is missing from what you listed too.
Tuning is everything in the 500+ hp range as well.

350/200 injectors would require dual hpops as well.
You could probably run them on a t500 if they were hybrids, but thats a lot of fuel really quick.

tshrager 11-30-2013 09:31 AM

When Travis and I were putting together my combo, before I got laid off, I was looking at this very setup. He told me a T500 wouldn't run those injectors to they're full potential. You could run it, but the injectors would need to be tuned accordingly. You're also looking at a very expensive dual disk clutch to handle all that power.

Joey Fletcher 11-30-2013 09:41 AM

Tim

All I can tell you it will cost a lot more money than that to get 600+ hp

Even more money if you can not do all the installations of that stuff.

If I remember right...when I started on my truck there were a few guys that were making close to 900 HP and 1700 lbs of torque.... that was around the yr. 2000....There was a huge challenge going on between the PSD and the Cummins guys

I spent between 10 and 12K on my truck in less that a year. Nearly half of that was on transmissions...First few mods killed the stock trans in no time. Had the trans rebuilt with all high performance parts..That lasted about 2 months after large injectors, Custom chips & propane with 40+ psi boost. Blew up the E40D trans case...$3750 plus core charge for a BTS trans. stilling running Great

I stopped dumping money into my truck when he wanted to O-ring the heads and try to make 60+ lbs. of boost..I was already breaking to much stuff with what I had then to keep going....He said I had some where in the range of 500 to 550 HP at that time

Thank goodness most of the performance stuff is gone and my old truck is still running..

I am sure with the right people doing the engine work propane and NOS 650+ is do able...and I think if done right the engine would be fine...BUT the rest of your truck would not. That much HP will find every weak link between the tires and the flywheel.

Awitte58 11-30-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ReBilld (Post 13793052)

That dang intake sleeve kept caving in once he got above 50psi IIRC.
That was epic.

My .02 would be to not make a hasty decision and piece it together along the way.
I'd just hate for you to come back and drop your deployment savings on something and then not be pleased. And im sure that unloading all of that if it wasnt what you wanted would make you lose money as well..

fordpride 11-30-2013 07:06 PM

Just my .02 but from issues that other guys here had with Jake I would buy a bag of bolts from him.

With that said I think it could make 600-650 hp but you'll need a few more goodies to go with those parts.

Tim Shultz 12-01-2013 07:02 AM

What seems to be the problem with Jake?

tshrager 12-01-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Shultz (Post 13796425)
What seems to be the problem with Jake?

Some guys here recently have been complaining about his customer service, missing a few parts from their kits and even a failed part.