Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   The more i read on the 6.7 board the more i really love my 6.2! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1282153-the-more-i-read-on-the-6-7-board-the-more-i-really-love-my-6-2-a.html)

septicman 12-02-2013 07:18 PM

havenot had a chance to pull new 5er

Hi every one new to this site! So far enjoying what im hearing. Bought a new 2013 f 350 Lariat,long box with 373 gears. so far love the truck. I have pulled my old travel trailer about 7800 lbs loaded. Pulled just fine! I just bought a new 5th wheel, dry weight 10,090 lbs. Haven't had the chance to pull this one yet. Honestly im a little worried

rayk1 12-03-2013 08:23 AM

Have no fear Seticman, I have a F-250 setup like yours pulling a 10K trailer. No problem! Just came back from a 400 mile trip this past week in area of east Texas that has a lot of real steep hills. Truck had no problem.

big blue 12-03-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeepnford (Post 13794049)
I'm looking at buying a new truck. I would like nothing more than the new 6.7 with it's quietness and unbelievable power. However, when I drive it to work at 4 miles in the winter and pull a 7000 lb camper 5 or 6 times a summer I just can't justify it. I think it would ruin the engine not getting hot enough. At the price difference between the 6.2 and 6.7 I might decide to keep my 7.3.

That is exactly why I decided to dump my 2010 F350. I was driving 2 miles each way to work, maybe 20 on the weekend. A couple of good 500 mile pulls through the Utah mountains with our RV. Fuel was always $.75 higher than gas. Oil changes were $100. I figure I am ahead $150 month with this truck, plus its a riot to drive!

I am waiting to see if Ford challenges GM and Ram with an upgrade to the 6.2. I would like to go back to the F350 for the payload capacity, and 6 3/4 bed length. But I love the ride and interior of the F150!

septicman 12-04-2013 05:34 PM

Thanks for the encouraging message. Winter time here in Iowa so wont be camping until spring. Planning a trip from Iowa to Pigeon Forge Tenn. I will post my trip experience. Thanks

JohnnyThunder 12-05-2013 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by septicman (Post 13808637)
Thanks for the encouraging message. Winter time here in Iowa so wont be camping until spring. Planning a trip from Iowa to Pigeon Forge Tenn. I will post my trip experience. Thanks

We did that trip from up here this summer down through Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas then over to Memphis then Nashville and then to Pigeon Forge and finally off to Indaniapolis to the speedway then home. A bit over 4000 miles and the 6.2 with 3.73's just chugged along no issues and averaged a bit over 9mpg. I drove a constant 60mph and ran the tranny in manual mode all the time excpet when we were in towns and cities.

You will find that trip a walk in the park for that machine.

septicman 12-05-2013 06:25 PM

tuner

JohnnyThunder, Read an earlier post of yours mentioning a tuner. I too have considered a 5 star tune to hopefully correct shifting issues that Im having. Honestly not sure if its the trucks issue or mine. I seem to be having a hard time getting a feel for this transmission. Dont get me wrong..love the truck.

Are you towing with stock suspension?

JohnnyThunder 12-08-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by septicman (Post 13812307)
JohnnyThunder, Read an earlier post of yours mentioning a tuner. I too have considered a 5 star tune to hopefully correct shifting issues that Im having. Honestly not sure if its the trucks issue or mine. I seem to be having a hard time getting a feel for this transmission. Dont get me wrong..love the truck.

Are you towing with stock suspension?

Yep,
The truck is totally stock in all ways at this point, I do find it is more difficult to get it setup and can never get it quite level with my Blue Ox WD hitch. The 08 Dodge 4x4 Megacab was very easy to level but it sat 4 inches higher in the rear than the Ford and oddly enough was not as stable towing as the Ford. I have considered air bags but I just don't tow the RV enough to worry about it as my 18 ft flat deck hauls fine with 8k on it and I use it more than the RV. As to the tranny, I think everyone has an opinion on how wanky that 6 speed can shift when it wants to and I am no exception, hence wanting the 5 Star tunes. I am thinking 87 perf /tow, 87 Economy and 91 perf / tow if I can get them. I always run 91 octane when we go south of the border as it is way cheaper than 87 octane here in Canada so I figure give it a treat and even without a programmer the truck responds very well after the 2nd tank full of good stuff.

jeepnford 12-09-2013 06:53 PM

I would like to see Ford racing parts come up with a blower for the 6.2, but I imagine it would cost almost as much as the diesel upgrade.

BossGasser 12-09-2013 08:50 PM

"hence wanting the 5 Star tunes"
BUY A TUNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You'll slap yourself in the face because you didn't do it sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nojoke327 12-09-2013 10:18 PM

I would love a 6.2 as well fory next truck. My only real delema is the current body style. I can't stand the current body but probably won't be able to afford new in 16 with the redesign. With a growing family I really want a crew cab but for now we will just say cozy in my regular cab

BossGasser 12-09-2013 10:35 PM

I don't like the big chrome pig nose.
If Ford brings out something really cool, this won't be my last truck.

Amelio 12-10-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by BossGasser (Post 13826948)
I don't like the big chrome pig nose.
If Ford brings out something really cool, this won't be my last truck.

I think that is very distinctive of Ford and I think GM and Chevy trucks have some what copied this design. I think the Ford is the toughest looking truck on the road. The GM's got much better with the new design and Dodge is pretty tough too but they have been rock'n the same front end for a long time.

JohnnyThunder 12-10-2013 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Amelio (Post 13828855)
I think that is very distinctive of Ford and I think GM and Chevy trucks have some what copied this design. I think the Ford is the toughest looking truck on the road. The GM's got much better with the new design and Dodge is pretty tough too but they have been rock'n the same front end for a long time.

Guess we're getting wayy off topic but I really like the new Dodge HD trucks and I am afraid if I had the money would have a new 2014 Megacab 4x4 2500 with the air suspension and 6.4 hemi.

Powelligator 12-10-2013 04:26 PM

JeepnFord - There's at least one blower kit out there for the 6.2, not from Ford Racing. Cost is about 2K *less* than the oil burner option.

BossGasser - I too don't prefer the "acre o' chrome" look of the current front end. I might have gone for a King Ranch (had they offered it in SuperCab) just to tone it down a bit. I also prefer the body-color front bumper on the Platinum. There's some sort of XL Value Package that Ford has now with a more tastefully done front end. Anything... :)

-Joe

2000silverbullet 12-10-2013 06:00 PM

I'm back to the stock tune as I just had my truck at the dealership. It always amazes me how bad the stock programming is. I honestly can not stand how bad it is, the delayed shifts, 6th gear at 30mph, etc. It just seems so gutless and limited.

In fact, I'm gonna throw the 93 tune back on it now!

As for all the chrome on the front, plenty of options. Get a XL grille, or KR grille surround, they don't cost much. The bumper on the other hand, not so cheap. I'm shopping around as someone hit mine, $814 for just the shell. Ouch.