Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   1995 anti drain back hpop question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1281786-1995-anti-drain-back-hpop-question.html)

Farmboypowerstroke 11-27-2013 01:37 PM

1995 anti drain back hpop question

I found a 95 engine to put in my super duty.
The engine serial number is 74002u073437 can anyone tell me anything about it? It has a stock downpipe, but it not all bent like one you'd find in a regular pick up, its just about 3'' ID
I want to put my adrenaline hpop on this motor, I read I can't because of a anti drain back thingy. But read if I switch front covers and reservoir my adrenaline pump will work just fine. This true?

Another quick dumb question, I want to use my HPOP lines from my late 99 motor, because I just put them on new a few months ago. The one hose is going to be a tad short, but I see there on plugs on top of the head, can I remove a plug, and put the fitting in what ever plug I want to so the hose will reach?

I decided just to leave this engine pretty much stock, stock turbo will be staying on it. I see the driver's side manifold looks different, will I have to switch that one?

I called Clay and asked him, I found out I need to change front cover and oil pick up tube and I'll be all set. Clay is the man, I'm going to be buying as much as I can from him.
Now I need to find an early 99 intake spyder, and driver side I/C tube, anyone know of anyone that has one?

JOHN2001 11-27-2013 02:27 PM

Some questions you have may be best asked in the obs section. Swapping to our style hpop on the obs engine would be an upgrade for those guys and I'm sure someone there has done it.

F350-6 11-27-2013 06:44 PM

I 2nd the OBS section. Those guys will set you straight, but from what I think I remember;

Yes, change the front cover and HPOP reservoir so you don't have that valve. Also be sure and use the oil cooler from your blown motor since the oil return plug is put in with a snap ring instead of being staked in.

Yes change the manifold, and you might as well upgrade to the super duty intake manifolds and turbo set up so you can do cheaper bellowed up pipes and run your Intercooler easier. Change the down pipe too since the cab shape is different and you can run a 4" down pipe without having to massage the firewall like the OBS guys have to do.

I do believe you can just remove that fitting and install the STC fitting from the super duty for your HPOP hoses.

Farmboypowerstroke 11-27-2013 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by F350-6 (Post 13786736)
I 2nd the OBS section. Those guys will set you straight, but from what I think I remember;

Yes, change the front cover and HPOP reservoir so you don't have that valve. Also be sure and use the oil cooler from your blown motor since the oil return plug is put in with a snap ring instead of being staked in.

Yes change the manifold, and you might as well upgrade to the super duty intake manifolds and turbo set up so you can do cheaper bellowed up pipes and run your Intercooler easier. Change the down pipe too since the cab shape is different and you can run a 4" down pipe without having to massage the firewall like the OBS guys have to do.

I do believe you can just remove that fitting and install the STC fitting from the super duty for your HPOP hoses.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil cooler:-X22 I was told I had to change the oil pick up tube. Do you know if that info is correct?

I was planing on leaving the stock intake manifolds and turbo on, as I'm keeping this motor pretty much stock. I'm done with the horsepower race.
The stock downpipe on this motor is just about 3'' ID, that should be ok at a stock power level, shouldn't it? If not I'll get the 4''.
The downpipe isn't all beat to heck like one off a pickup, this motor came out of a big van truck.

I'm changing injector cups since the motor is out, any tips on this? My main concern is getting everything clean enough. How do you guys clean the old loctite from the injector bores?

I guess that is all the questions I have for now, I'll keep you updated on my progress. I'm planing on moving through this pretty quick.

cookie88 11-27-2013 10:51 PM

Once you get the super duty engine out and next to the OBS engine you will realize the scope of the differences.

Basically everything above the heads will need to be swapped over, and everything from the front cover forward.

The dipstick tube will need to be swapped over as well as the motor mounts.

You'll also need a 1/2" freeze plug to drive into the hole left from the removal of the mechanical fuel pump.

While you're swapping in your late model injectors I'd suggest using the UVC harnesses from the late motor too.

F350-6 11-28-2013 07:12 AM

The oil pickup tube bolts to the front cover, so you'll want to use the matching tube for the new cover.

fordpride 11-28-2013 10:00 AM

You'll have to use the oil cooler from the truck as the van oil cooler is different.

You'll have to swap the front cover and resivoir to use the 96 and newer hpop.

The downpipe for the obs is a lot different then the SD so I'm not sure if that will work in a SD

You pretty much have to take the obs engine down to a long block and swap every thing over from the SD including injectors.