Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   tow package..? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/128155-tow-package.html)

97expy 06-23-2003 02:06 PM

tow package..?

hey guys, I have heard some talk about tow packages.. and was wondering how I could find out if my new (to me) expy has the package. its a 97 4.6 xlt with the tow hitch welded onto under the rear bumper. (looks stock) thanks for any help. I'll be towing my wave runner and a 24' boat about 1 mile.. I should be fine right?

-john

WillieWildcat 06-23-2003 05:35 PM

tow package..?

Hmmm....most tow hitch receivers I know of bolt onto the frame. But maybe this is another kind I am not aware of.

tsdrallyer 06-23-2003 06:20 PM

tow package..?

My '97 with factory tow package came with:
- Class III rated 2" square receiver tube mounted on a curving
square tube of the same size that bolts onto the frame
- 7 pin wiring harness with receptacle/cover mounted on bumper
- 130 amp high output alternator
- transmission cooler
- engine oil cooler (on 5.4L only)
- 3.73 differential ratio
- 78 amp hr. battery
- rear load leveling suspension (4x2 only)

Regardless of equipment don't exceed when fully loaded, the maximum GCRWR.
The LSD and 4 corner air I have were optional extras.

njxlt 06-23-2003 06:38 PM

tow package..?

I have a 98 XLT and just had my hitch bolts upgraded from a 2000 recall for insufficent hitch bolts. I'm no mechanic but after looking at the before and after the new bolts are much larger. My hitch is bolted on also not welded. After reading this forum and sufing around the net there has actually been hitch's that have come undone or extremely loose while towing. I would look into the recall!

Sturge 06-24-2003 01:24 PM

tow package..?

Probably bolted and not welded. Also, see if you can tell on the hitch if it's a Class I, II, or III design - that will dictate what your hitch is designed to handle. Also, tow package means transmission cooler - look around the radiator for an additional cooling unit and follow the lines to see if they go to the tranny. If you are towing - DON'T use overdrive

dstammer 06-27-2003 11:08 AM

tow package..?

Along the same line of question as the original post, I am wondering if there is some information on the door plate sticker that positively identifies the vehicle as having the "tow package". I am in the market for a used Expedition and it is my impression that the seller will claim that the vehicle has a "tow package" simply by the existence of a hitch. I see that tsdrallyer knows exactly what his tow package includes but some of those features are difficult to see if you are simply looking at the vehicle. One thing I tried to confirm was the additional/upgraded trans cooler. It appears to me that there is a small air cooler visible throught the grill but that could be on every Expedition as far a I know. The only item I have been able to confirm is the rear end specs which are coded on the door plate sticker.

Any help?

BTW, IMHO, I do not think that a factory hitch would be welded to the frame. Also, I would be surprised to find that the Expedition tow package would be offered with the 4.6.

Dan

PaulC 06-27-2003 11:37 AM

tow package..?

I have a 1999 XLT 4.6 4x4 with a 3.55 axle ratio and the optional factory tow package. I bought the vehicle new, so there is no doubt that it is a factory install.

97expy 06-27-2003 02:09 PM

tow package..?

Originally posted by dstammer
[
BTW, IMHO, I do not think that a factory hitch would be welded to the frame.
Dan [/B]
I think I confused myself and everyone else.. I meant to say that the hitch attaches to a welded peice under my rear bumper, unlike some of the hitches I see attatched directly off the rear bumper itself. sorry for being so confusing hehe