Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Low fuel pressure because of cold weather or something else? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1280564-low-fuel-pressure-because-of-cold-weather-or-something-else.html)

90pioneer 11-20-2013 07:52 PM

Low fuel pressure because of cold weather or something else?

2003 F250, 125k, Riffraff fuel rail cross over, strictly diesel hutch mod with pre pump Baldwin water/fuel separator installed less than 10k miles ago. Factory fuel filter is 12k miles old, I looked at it 500 miles ago and it looked brand new.

My fuel pressure usually sits at 72PSI. The sending unit is hooked up after the factory fuel filter. The weather in Alaska has been hovering around 0*F, give or take 10*. My fuel pressure has dropped 10PSI to about 60-62. When I get on the accelerator, the fuel pressure drops even to about 50lbs, setting off the warning light on my gauge. Before this it never used to vary more than 5 to 8 PSI from 72 when it idled.

Could this be attributed to the cold weather, or should I try replacing my filters? Maybe I got a ****ty batch of fuel that clogged the filters?

BadDogKuzz 11-20-2013 08:24 PM

I would start with the filters and see if that changes anything. I think 62 psi isn't bad that is what I have mine running at 62-65psi but getting down to 50 psi is not such a good sign. I would bet a fresh set of filters will do the trick.

Tugly 11-20-2013 08:49 PM

Are you using an anti-gelling additive in the fuel?

clux 11-21-2013 08:27 AM

Could be the cold weather and a little bit of gelling going on. Usually a bad tank of fuel will plug filters instead of just dropping pressure a little bit.

Does the fuel rail crossover return warm fuel back to the tank? If so, does the issue get any better after it has ran for a while?

90pioneer 11-21-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 13762720)
Are you using an anti-gelling additive in the fuel?

I am not currently using an antigelling additive. Decent ones up here are hard to find and expensive.

I am going to park in a heated garage tonight and see if that makes a difference.

Nicmike 11-21-2013 07:52 PM

This same thing happened to me after doing hutch and FRx. My truck doesn't see cold weather in South Texas, so take that for what it's worth. My pressure drops to 40psi on WOT runs. Started at 63psi idle right after mod, now lucky to see 56psi at idle.

I have bypassed the Baldwin... no change.
Replaced fuel filter in bowl...no change
Blew lines out and checked for kinks...no change.
Replaced fuel pump...no change

I'm just going to live with it or pull of the FRx. I checked the regulator spring, and it is properly installed. My belief that this is a good mod is dwindling

90pioneer 11-22-2013 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nicmike (Post 13766317)
This same thing happened to me after doing hutch and FRx. My truck doesn't see cold weather in South Texas, so take that for what it's worth. My pressure drops to 40psi on WOT runs. Started at 63psi idle right after mod, now lucky to see 56psi at idle.

I have bypassed the Baldwin... no change.
Replaced fuel filter in bowl...no change
Blew lines out and checked for kinks...no change.
Replaced fuel pump...no change

I'm just going to live with it or pull of the FRx. I checked the regulator spring, and it is properly installed. My belief that this is a good mod is dwindling

You probably put in the wrong spring, or put the spring in incorrectly.

My fuel pressure was fine, had all these mods on for 10k miles and have been gtg until the weather got super cold.