Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   low fuel, low power message, then check engine light (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1279798-low-fuel-low-power-message-then-check-engine-light.html)

bhplumber 11-16-2013 06:34 PM

low fuel, low power message, then check engine light

My low fuel light came on tonight. I drove about 2 miles, stopped and shut the truck off. When I restarted it and began to drive off to the fuel station a notice came on that isaid power reduced then a check engine light came on. I was about a mile or less from the fuel station so I filled up. I cycled the key but the engine light is still on. No low power message tho. The power is fine. I came home and drained the water drain on the filter, didn't see any water but hoped it would solve the problem. I cycled the key a few times and started the truck but the light is still on. My truck is a 2013 f350 6.7 and has 211500 ish miles on it. I bought it a month ago with 18500 miles and haven't had any issue until tonight. My only thought is maybe the fuel filters need changed. I don't know if or when the previous owner changed them. Can anyone give me their thoughts. Just wondering of I need to get to the dealer?

bhplumber 11-16-2013 06:40 PM

Help Please !!

Oh yeh and about 2 tanks of fuel ago I added 2.5 gallons of DEF fluid to the tank when the 496 mile DEF warning light came on. I bought the DEF at the local dealer and used their brand new nozzle to pour it in. Yes into the DEF tank not the diesel fuel tank just to confirm!!

An oil was changed my the dealer I bought it from at 18500 mile on the odometer so I shouldn't need an oil change yet.

One other thing I noticed is when you just turn the key to on (it displays all lights in gauge cluster) I don't see a WIF light anywhere. Is there one on the 2013?

sdetweil 11-16-2013 07:39 PM

Did you make a mileage typo? 18500 a month ago, 211500 now! How did u rack up almost 200,000 miles in a month?!

Did u mean 21,150 now?

Go to autozone, they will read the codes for you. Maybe reset. Buy a code reader w reset.

UGA33 11-16-2013 08:05 PM

Does your truck have the LCD screen in the instrument cluster? If you hold the down arrow while you turn the key to on, test mode will pop up and you can scroll through and read codes.

TRENT310 11-16-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by UGA33 (Post 13748121)
Does your truck have the LCD screen in the instrument cluster? If you hold the down arrow while you turn the key to on, test mode will pop up and you can scroll through and read codes.

If not, hold the Reset button (which is the equivalent to the 'down' button) which will go to the same test mode menu.

bhplumber 11-16-2013 08:33 PM

I tried both the down button and ok button on my steering wheel and nothing changes from normal gauge mode. I do have a low tire pressure light on due to my new tires. Haven't found a dealer to reset the truck yet. That pops up everytime I start the truck. I looked in the system check screen and it says all is good.

TRENT310 11-16-2013 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by bhplumber (Post 13748230)
I tried both the down button and ok button on my steering wheel and nothing changes from normal gauge mode. I do have a low tire pressure light on due to my new tires. Haven't found a dealer to reset the truck yet. That pops up everytime I start the truck. I looked in the system check screen and it says all is good.

Key off, hold button, key on (don't crank), hold until the gauge self test completes, then let go. I normally go by the gauge sweep on the 2011s but I think I noticed that feature was deleted in the later years.

bhplumber 11-16-2013 11:28 PM

Thanks Trent but it still didn't work. I hold the down button, turn key to on ( not start), gauge goes through ford display then to my normal gauge mode and I release down button but nothing happens.

bhplumber 11-18-2013 07:33 PM

All is GOOD now

Started the truck this morning an no CEL. I had already made an apt at the dealer so I took in anyway. They said nothing in codes or memory so is like it never happened. I did get my fuel filters changed (21500 miles) and they reprogrammed my tpms system to 55psi. All my lights are out!!!

CornTruckDriver 11-18-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by bhplumber (Post 13748700)
Thanks Trent but it still didn't work. I hold the down button, turn key to on ( not start), gauge goes through ford display then to my normal gauge mode and I release down button but nothing happens.

Is that the down button on the wheel or the one on the shifter?

TRENT310 11-18-2013 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver (Post 13754887)
Is that the down button on the wheel or the one on the shifter?

Earlier post noted it was on the steering wheel. This should work and can be duplicated on every production truck, just takes a bit to get the timing of the button pressing with key position the first time.