Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4 plugs round 2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1279627-5-4-plugs-round-2-a.html)

vpsr6 11-15-2013 06:38 PM

5.4 plugs round 2

I was looking to see if anyone has changed plugs for the 2nd time on the 5.4.
I have an 05 5.4 xlt 4wd and changed mine without issue at 30k and I am now approaching 100k and was going to replace them again with the new 1 piece plug. With the nickel anti seize as outlined on the TSB will the plugs come right out or is it recommended to do it like he first time.
thanks
Vic

Varsity Tyler 11-16-2013 11:07 AM

It's still a crap shoot. The problem wasn't truly a two-piece plug, it was the fact that the extended electrode housing went into its own bore on top of the combustion chamber. The anti-seize can't hurt, but it's not guaranteed to help, either.

Carbon is still going to get in that bore and try to seize the housing to the bore. My advice is to soak the plug wells with Motorcraft Tune-Up Cleaner and leave it overnight. The stuff does wick down and do a decent job of lubricating that electrode housing.

Good luck, and remember to change the oil afterward as well.

Okiedokie 11-21-2013 10:16 AM

My 2000 F150 has a different plug problem :) but I was recently discussing the two piece plug problem [my son has a 2007] with a friend who runs his own repair shop, and has done many of these. He commented that the bad thing about the one piece plugs is that if they seize in the hole they will not come apart, but almost certainly damage the head. Repair cost will increase greatly. I have no personal experience with either.

vpsr6 12-26-2013 08:50 PM

Someone had do this for the second time? I will most likely follow the TSB as I did the first time, I am just wondering if the nickel anti-seize actually did anything as far as preventing the carbon build up.
thanks
Vic

Golflug 12-28-2013 06:59 PM

I did mine originally at 30k and they all came out without any issues in one complete piece. I followed ALL of the tsb recomendations to the letter and used the high temp Nickle antiseize. Now as I approched 100k I decided to change them again. I followed all of the same procedures as the first time, but this time 6 of the 8 broke off and I needed to use the removal tool to get them out. The antiseize did nothing IMHO.

vpsr6 12-28-2013 09:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I am in a similar mileage situation having changed them first time around 30k and now approaching 100k as I plan on keeping the truck much longer I wanted to do them again. That really sucks about the anti seize doing nothing, I think it was wishful thinking on fords part. I to had no issue the first time so I will just follow the procedure again and see what happens although I assume I will not have to do it again after this at least the new plug design will help if I have to.

Agent Smith 12-28-2013 11:53 PM

I change mine every 30k to avoid the bs from broke plugs