Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Back-up camera (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1278023-back-up-camera.html)

WarrensE350 11-07-2013 11:48 AM

Back-up camera

So I put a backup camera on Bubba, and it's pretty cool. However, the issue is that while the camera outputs what it assumes is centered behind the van, it's actually mounted on the licence plate well in the door so the image is off center by a foot or so. It's something I will compensate for over time if no other simple mounting location is possible, but has anyone else installed one in the rear center? How did you do it? Mine's specifically a 97 E-350.

Side note, I wired it hot and put a simple on/off switch inline rather than splice into the reverse wire, so I can use it as a rear view mirror when the shades are down (which is most of the time). It was $15 from Amazon and other than coating it with silicone sealer prior to the install because I don't believe the claim of it being waterproof, it was a very simple plug and play. Coupled it with a rear view mirror monitor, for $30, so it's a $45 investment that's well worth it to me.

JWA 11-07-2013 12:04 PM

I'd be interested seeing a view of the monitor, seeing what you're able to see IOW.

I've often thought of adding one of these myself, different monitor since I removed my RV mirror mounting bracket.

WarrensE350 11-07-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 13715511)
I'd be interested seeing a view of the monitor, seeing what you're able to see IOW.

I've often thought of adding one of these myself, different monitor since I removed my RV mirror mounting bracket.

Mounted on the license plate. The wires are run behind the plate and into the door through the plate light above it. Little squish of silicone and voila. The bump above the camera is actually the head of the bluebird on the plate design. The wires are unseen.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...27_resized.jpg

Full rear of van showing camera offset.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...34_resized.jpg

Mirror when off. It clips to the existing mirror and there's overlap. Not noticed by me when driving. The viewing area is considerably larger than the stock mirror.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...00_resized.jpg

Mirror when on, viewing camera output. The image looks distorted in the pic but it isn't in real life. I had to hold the phone at a funny angle or it showed up in the image too much. Also the glare is definitely not as pronounced when looking at it in person. I will try to get a picture of it when the sun isn't as pronounced, to try to get a more proper representation of how it actually appears.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...56_resized.jpg

One more, extreme close up. You can obviously see the phone pretty clearly. It's a mirror, after all.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...38_resized.jpg

So I still need to dress the mirror cable which is why it's hanging down. It got dark and I ran out of time yesterday.

For $45 (free shipping too) it is very serviceable to me. Time will tell about its' longevity but the only complaints I saw online were fogging of the lens, thus why I bathed it in silicone. As always, pictures don't so it proper justice. It's a good clear picture, clearer than the factory camera on the old 09 Caravan.

WarrensE350 11-07-2013 03:40 PM

OK, a better representation of the picture, less glare.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/...51_resized.jpg

YoGeorge 11-07-2013 05:08 PM

Hey, thanks for taking the time to take photos of the unit as well as the view in the mirror. A heck of a lot better than nothing. As for mounting location, where can you get center? On the roof rail maybe?

Thanks again for the detail,
George

macattack 11-07-2013 10:18 PM

With a lot of the vans you can get a replacement third brake light with a camera in it, but I have been unable to find anyone that makes one for the e vans. :( Just the ugly scaffold looking roof mounts, which will not clear my garage door let alone the ugly factor.

JWA 11-08-2013 06:00 AM

Indeed thanks for taking time to show us the driver's view of your BUC---very much appreciated. As already said its not bad at all especially considering the price. I've seen a few who've installed elaborate (to me) double DIN receiver/video components which accommodate a BUC and they're very nice---just a bit more refitting to suit me.

Centering wise there's the obtrusive larger style mounting on the roof which is just plain butt ugly IMHO. A neat trick was installing the camera in a step bumper's recess which solves a few issues. Its low and in the center, very unobtrusive or noticeable. Of course if you tow using just the step bumper that's not the best idea.

What brand of display monitor did you use---that might work for me mounted in another location other than on the windshield.

WarrensE350 11-08-2013 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 13718359)
What brand of display monitor did you use---that might work for me mounted in another location other than on the windshield.

Here is the monitor:

Camera:

Thanks for the props guys. Problem with mounting it high, at least this camera, is that it's highly likely that the grid is calibrated for the unit to be only a foot or so off the ground. Even at the height it is at now, it's not accurate. The grid shows me being a good foot closer to the obstruction that it actually is. Can't re-calibrate or delete the grid with it either. Still easy enough to get used to and compensate manually for.

You're right IMO though; high mounting it would look too obvious for me. I could mount it low but I don't have a bumper step to use so I'd have to fab something to mount down there so I will just leave it as is. I have no other need for a big double din head unit so I really didn't want to spend the time or money on it just for a camera.

daghstdrummer 11-25-2013 08:29 AM

Nice Camera install, how did you run the wiring? I have a conversion van and would definitely install a backup camera too.

WarrensE350 11-25-2013 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by daghstdrummer (Post 13777572)
Nice Camera install, how did you run the wiring? I have a conversion van and would definitely install a backup camera too.

The wire for the mirror mounted LCD is just straight up and then behind the plastic front cover along the windshield, then routed down under the dash on the driver's side. In the future I plan to re-mount the rear view mirror higher up on the windshield so the wires can be all but totally hidden.The rear wiring is run through the same hole in the door that the brake light wiring harness runs, then under the rear sill and up along the left side floor in the seam where the wall carpet meets the floor carpet. I took power from a driver's seat-bottom mounted dual power port the PO installed, and ran that wiring under the plastic step-well trim then up under the dash, I split off the switch under the dash and mounted it just to the left of the cup holder.

In the future (Spring) I may relocate the camera to the low center of the rear. The offset and inaccurate grid are kind of a pain in the butt and I can probably move the assembly pretty easily. For a fresh install I would advise planning not to use the in-door plate mounting location.

daghstdrummer 11-25-2013 09:50 AM

Thanks Alot, i'm going to try to do that this week.. planning a long trip for the holiday it would be nice to have it to help me hook up my trailer alone.

WarrensE350 11-25-2013 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by daghstdrummer (Post 13777803)
Thanks Alot, i'm going to try to do that this week.. planning a long trip for the holiday it would be nice to have it to help me hook up my trailer alone.

Awesome, let me know what camera/monitor combo you go with. Enjoy the trip.

limerence 11-29-2013 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 13718359)
A neat trick was installing the camera in a step bumper's recess which solves a few issues. Its low and in the center, very unobtrusive or noticeable. Of course if you tow using just the step bumper that's not the best idea.

Is there a thread or pics on this JWA?

JWA 11-30-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by limerence (Post 13793132)
Is there a thread or pics on this JWA?

This is the one I had in mind----found it interesting I did! https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...a-install.html

jmo1112 07-17-2014 04:49 PM

I was literally about to start a new thread to ask all of these questions, but decided to search first. This is great thread. Answers a ton of questions I was thinking about.

gman97005 07-17-2014 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by WarrensE350 (Post 13715457)
So I put a backup camera on Bubba, and it's pretty cool. However, the issue is that while the camera outputs what it assumes is centered behind the van, it's actually mounted on the licence plate well in the door so the image is off center by a foot or so. It's something I will compensate for over time if no other simple mounting location is possible, but has anyone else installed one in the rear center? How did you do it? Mine's specifically a 97 E-350.

remove the LR door panel and drill hole through door skin as close as permitted to the edge the door, the hole should be just big enough for the lens of the camera to fit through snugly, fabricate two 90 degree angle brackets and attach one to each end of the camera bracket then drill 2 holes through the inside edge of the door and through the corresponding angle bracket, use rivets and gun to secure, run wiring and reinstall door panel..
or..
mount it on the roof and cover it or maybe along the inside edge of the rear window, the trick is finding a way to rotate the camera inside the housing allowing you to position the bracket in a manner that suits you best
or..
modify the existing mount so the camera is at the inside edge of the license plate instead of the center, get creative..

JWA 07-18-2014 06:58 AM

GMan you have any photos of your installation---that sounds quite interesting.

gman97005 07-19-2014 01:15 PM

This is what i had in mind..

flush-mount camera $13.30

5" TFT LCD Monitor $24.10

mounting ideas..
https://www.google.com/search?q=flus...OS%3B300%3B300

WarrensE350 07-24-2014 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by gman97005 (Post 14515157)
remove the LR door panel and drill hole through door skin as close as permitted to the edge the door, the hole should be just big enough for the lens of the camera to fit through snugly, fabricate two 90 degree angle brackets and attach one to each end of the camera bracket then drill 2 holes through the inside edge of the door and through the corresponding angle bracket, use rivets and gun to secure, run wiring and reinstall door panel..
or..
mount it on the roof and cover it or maybe along the inside edge of the rear window, the trick is finding a way to rotate the camera inside the housing allowing you to position the bracket in a manner that suits you best
or..
modify the existing mount so the camera is at the inside edge of the license plate instead of the center, get creative..

The camera I have now was very inexpensive, and while it's functioned satisfactorily so far without issue, I'm hesitant to drill into the van to mount it because I don't see it lasting 10 years and I don't want to deal with another round of surgery if I can't find a similar sized replacement. I've gotten used to the offset with it mounted in the plate well, to be honest. It does give a good view of what's behind the van, so it serves its' purpose well as-is.

jimandnena 07-24-2014 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by WarrensE350 (Post 14530544)
The camera I have now was very inexpensive, and while it's functioned satisfactorily so far without issue, I'm hesitant to drill into the van to mount it because I don't see it lasting 10 years and I don't want to deal with another round of surgery if I can't find a similar sized replacement. I've gotten used to the offset with it mounted in the plate well, to be honest. It does give a good view of what's behind the van, so it serves its' purpose well as-is.

I agree with you, Warren. I bought a one of these for the wife's Explorer

And it worked well enough that I bought another when I got the '88 Club Wagon. I do not use the rear doors much so I fastened the camera to a piece of pipe strap and stuck it under the weatherstrip on the left side rear door. The view is as close to center as needed and just above the step bumper.

One issue, vehicles are a LOT closer than they appear on the screen.

jim

JWA 07-25-2014 06:18 AM

Jim that's an exceptionally affordable back up cam set up---thanks for that link.

I'm curious though about Pyle's claims of its IR capabilities---any impressions or observations about how well it works in low light situations, aka "dark" ?

jimandnena 07-25-2014 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14532629)
Jim that's an exceptionally affordable back up cam set up---thanks for that link.

I'm curious though about Pyle's claims of its IR capabilities---any impressions or observations about how well it works in low light situations, aka "dark" ?

The price for the 2nd one was even better, JW. After I got it delivered, Amazon emailed that they had refunded my money?! Since I hadn't requested a return, I checked with the company and they emailed that I had received a discontinued model so they refunded my money and did NOT want the unit back. My first ever, win-win situation. haha

I'm having problems posting photos for some reason but the daytime view is in my gallery:

Rear view camera next to mirror. by jimandnena - Ford-Trucks

At night, with the backup lights on, I can see the house across the street from us. I don't know about IR, usually there is some IR LED light source on the camera and I don't see that anywhere. This is a cheap model but the one on the Explorer has been there 4 years and still working.

jim

JWA 07-26-2014 05:51 AM

Thanks Jim---I keep forgetting we have rather bright and effective back up lights on our vans! :)

jimandnena 07-26-2014 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14534904)
Thanks Jim---I keep forgetting we have rather bright and effective back up lights on our vans! :)

I know! The first night after installing the camera, I started to back out the driveway and thought someone had pulled in behind me. Almost too much light for the glare but once I figured it out, no problem.

I'll try to stay up past my bedtime and get some night photos. The rear view mirror is still better for daytime driving but when backing up, the camera is best.

I thought about installing additional cameras like the stealth fighter uses but it seemed a little overboard. :-)
jim

JWA 07-27-2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jimandnena (Post 14535615)

I'll try to stay up past my bedtime and get some night photos. The rear view mirror is still better for daytime driving but when backing up, the camera is best.

I thought about installing additional cameras like the stealth fighter uses but it seemed a little overboard. :-)
jim

As we've discussed if its "overboard" then its just about right?! :)

F-35's make the Millennium Falcon look like a Model T, only quite a bit more I think?

Love to see the night time photos when/if possible. If you can't stay up late just get up earlier? :D

jimandnena 07-27-2014 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by JWA (Post 14536615)
As we've discussed if its "overboard" then its just about right?! :)

F-35's make the Millennium Falcon look like a Model T, only quite a bit more I think?

Love to see the night time photos when/if possible. If you can't stay up late just get up earlier? :D

Got one! I tried to get the same size as the daytime photo for comparison. Working on the Darth Vader/Ironman helmet now. :-)

Rearview camera by jimandnena - Ford-Trucks

jim

JWA 07-28-2014 05:50 AM

Those are quite respectable images Jim---even at night that camera and display seem to well worth their cost AND are effective too!

katoranger 07-29-2014 10:14 AM

I installed a Pyle brand backup camera on my van. It looks just like the one George has. Mostly wanted it for hooking up trailers so that I could see the ball.

Mine is mounted to the top the receiver hitch. I could a chunk of treated 2x4 and attached it to the crossbar part of the hitch and then used a couple screws to mount the camera to the 2x4. The camera sees the trailer ball and I can now back right up to a trailer without getting out. I don't really need it to see out the back since I have windows all around.

jmo1112 09-02-2014 11:47 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread again, but I finally got around to buying a backup cam...the flushmount one, to be specific. That said, how do you secure the camera to the car?! I haven't drilled any holes yet, and I've googled the install for these things, but there are literally NO install tips or videos available for the flush mount kind. I'm just really confused on how this thing stays mounted in place.

Any ideas?

JWA 09-03-2014 05:07 AM

Exactly which model or type camera did you buy?

jmo1112 09-03-2014 08:43 AM

I got the Boyo VTK350. It comes with a little mount to surface mount it, but I can't figure out how to flush mount it. I'm sure it's something really easy and I'm gonna feel stupid when someone tells me, but so be it.

WarrensE350 09-03-2014 08:49 AM

Looks like folks are drilling holes in their bumpers to flush fit it, but that's just from reading online about it. Not wanting to drill a hole in Bubba was a big reason I got the license plate mounted one. Let's see some pics after you install it if you would...