Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   What makes it a "custom cab"? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1276455-what-makes-it-a-custom-cab.html)

dcagnolatti 10-30-2013 04:46 PM

What makes it a "custom cab"?

I'm just curious. What makes the 57-60 ford truck "custom cab" different from those without the designation? Is it the wrap around reat window? Is it a different set of finishes on the dashboard? Any info appreciated.

oldebrush 10-30-2013 05:22 PM

What makes it a "custom cab"?

DC, I do not believe the big back window designates a "Custom Cab", but was an option offered only on a Custom Cab truck.

My 57 is a custom cab, with the stainless trim around the windshield, and the "Custom Cab" script on the doors. It also has door locks on both doors, which I am not sure was an option or just came on the customs.

Others will be along to confirm or correct what I have posted here. I would like to know as well.

Aloha, Tony :-X06

ibuzzard 10-30-2013 07:56 PM

Among other things - better seat covers, improved seat padding, upgraded trim package. Also, I believe the Fresh Air heater came standard in C.C.'s, though also available as an option in standard cabs. There are others I cannot remember, someone surely will.

egg collector 10-30-2013 08:53 PM

What did the steering wheel and horn look like?

ibuzzard 10-30-2013 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by egg collector (Post 13686485)
What did the steering wheel and horn look like?

.....horn ring in lieu of horn button is another, now that you mention it. The Dummy will show up shortly and crush us(me!) with his knowledge, and my lack thereof. He's explained it all to me and others countless times. But I am brain dead, apparently. LOL!

Col Flashman 10-31-2013 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by oldebrush (Post 13685538)
DC, I do not believe the big back window designates a "Custom Cab", but was an option offered only on a Custom Cab truck.

My 57 is a custom cab, with the stainless trim around the windshield, and the "Custom Cab" script on the doors. It also has door locks on both doors, which I am not sure was an option or just came on the customs.

Others will be along to confirm or correct what I have posted here. I would like to know as well.

Aloha, Tony :-X06

Custom Cab equipment consisting of striped woven nylon-saran upholstery with gray vinyl bolster and seat facings, handsome two-tone instrument panel, chrome trimmed instrument cluster, white steering wheel with attractive chrome horn ring, foam rubber in seat cushion and back, attractive two-tone door paint treatment, left door arm rest, sound deadener on floor and rear cab panel and insulation on firewall, right side sunvisor, illuminated cigar-cigarette lighter, bright-metal grille and headlight assembly, bright-metal windshield reveal molding, matched locks on both doors and of course the "Custom Cab" emblem on both doors. The Custom Cab feature was the only optional trim level available for the F-series trucks in 1960.

dcagnolatti 10-31-2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Col Flashman (Post 13687333)
Custom Cab equipment consisting of striped woven nylon-saran upholstery with gray vinyl bolster and seat facings, handsome two-tone instrument panel, chrome trimmed instrument cluster, white steering wheel with attractive chrome horn ring, foam rubber in seat cushion and back, attractive two-tone door paint treatment, left door arm rest, sound deadener on floor and rear cab panel and insulation on firewall, right side sunvisor, illuminated cigar-cigarette lighter, bright-metal grille and headlight assembly, bright-metal windshield reveal molding, matched locks on both doors and of course the "Custom Cab" emblem on both doors. The Custom Cab feature was the only optional trim level available for the F-series trucks in 1960.

Thanks for the info! The original upholstery in my truck is long gone. Two-tone instrument panel has been painted over one color. Still have the white steering wheel and all white dashboard knobs. Horn ring still there. Two-tone door pain is painted over one color. Left door armrest is missing but easily replaced with a reproduction part. Sound deadening I presume is still in place, though I haven't checked. Right side sun visor has been replaced with a new one (both sunvisors). The cigarette lighter is missing. Bright metal grill and headlight doors are going to be re-plated soon, and the bright metal windshield reveal molding was lost in a previous restoration. Some of the attributes remain, so I guess I can keep the emblems on the doors.