Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   dip stick tube question. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1275813-dip-stick-tube-question.html)

77mud 10-27-2013 03:53 PM

dip stick tube question.

My 95 7.3 has had a slight drip from the dip stick tube for awhile now. but its always been a drip and never enough to worry about. Now its started to pour out, Ive done some searching and most that i come up with is the part that bolts in the pan, Mine is coming out where the dipstick presses into that piece at. I assume it has a O ring there like all the other vehicles Ive dealt with did. any one have a Part number or know where to find one? or do i have to get a whole new dip stick/tube?

Hussler 10-27-2013 04:44 PM

The proper repair is to pull the engine, remove the oil pan and install a new inner seal where the dip-stick goes into the oil pan. However, there are other options. Since I've not personally experienced this type of repair I will leave it to others who have. I believe the kit you need would be something similar to this link at riffraff diesel ...

Riffraff Diesel: Oil Level Gauge - Oil Pan Repair Kit

were you can install the inner seal without removing the engine. Once again, out of my expertize but sure this issue will haunt me in the future. I might be way out in left field on this repair but sure others will chime in if so, if nothing else I'll bump you up.

91 Dually 10-27-2013 04:59 PM

If you mean where the dipstick itself inserts into that bung in the oil pan..... yes, there is an o-ring there. I'm pretty sure this is the correct Ford part number for that...... 3C3Z-6753-AA O-Ring, Dipstick

oldbird1965 10-27-2013 11:52 PM

I tried to fix mine twice with no luck. If it gets worse I'm going to try this, expensive but:

Strictly Diesel Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit

91 Dually 10-28-2013 06:38 AM

I worked on mine twice also. Pulled the engine and pulled the oil pan both times. First time I replaced the big o-ring only, still leaked. Second time I replaces the bung, nut, and o-ring. No more leak

77mud 10-28-2013 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hussler (Post 13673265)
The proper repair is to pull the engine, remove the oil pan and install a new inner seal where the dip-stick goes into the oil pan. However, there are other options. Since I've not personally experienced this type of repair I will leave it to others who have. I believe the kit you need would be something similar to this link at riffraff diesel ...

Riffraff Diesel: Oil Level Gauge - Oil Pan Repair Kit

were you can install the inner seal without removing the engine. Once again, out of my expertize but sure this issue will haunt me in the future. I might be way out in left field on this repair but sure others will chime in if so, if nothing else I'll bump you up.

Thats not were it is leaking from, It's coming from where the tube pushes into that bung.

Originally Posted by 91 Dually (Post 13673329)
If you mean where the dipstick itself inserts into that bung in the oil pan..... yes, there is an o-ring there. I'm pretty sure this is the correct Ford part number for that...... 3C3Z-6753-AA O-Ring, Dipstick

Thanks, I figured id install a New O ring and then put a small bit of permatex above the O ring were it pushes into the bung at.

77mud 10-28-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by oldbird1965 (Post 13674931)
I tried to fix mine twice with no luck. If it gets worse I'm going to try this, expensive but:

Strictly Diesel Dipstick Adapter Repair Kit

Originally Posted by 91 Dually (Post 13675234)
I worked on mine twice also. Pulled the engine and pulled the oil pan both times. First time I replaced the big o-ring only, still leaked. Second time I replaces the bung, nut, and o-ring. No more leak

I thought that was where mine was leaking from, but upon crawling under it with a rag and flash light and then wiping it down I found that it was coming from where the tube pushed into the Bung

oldbird1965 10-28-2013 09:27 AM

That should be a easy fix.

77mud 10-28-2013 09:45 AM

Thats what Im hoping, Just had troubles finding a O ring, everything was for the bung in the pan and not the tube.

am I wrong by thinking that with a little Permatex above a New O ring that i shouldnt have any problems with it?

oldbird1965 10-28-2013 11:58 AM

Can't hurt. When I tried to fix my leak around the big nut I used everything I could think of and it would last for awhile then start leaking again.

77mud 10-28-2013 01:06 PM

Gotcha, Im gonna swing by a buddys shop that deals with Diesels alot and see if he has a O ring or can get me one.

bearhugger 10-28-2013 06:24 PM

Glenn,when mine started leaking real bad when I was on vacation back in may of this year,I was on the road so I got some brake cleaner and cleaned it real good and then put some j b weld water putty. On it an it still has no leaks,don't know if it will ever come off if I need to. Jim

oldbird1965 10-28-2013 07:53 PM

I used brake cleaner, J B Weld then covered it with Marine Tex. I let each dry overnight and the final coat was goop. I would last about a year and then start leaking again.

Thor'sHammer 10-29-2013 03:10 AM

I applied this aerospace fuel tank sealant to the tube, adapter and oil pan and haven't had a leak in 3 years now.

http://www.skygeek.com/prc-desoto-pr...FVSZ4AodMi4Ajw

oldbird1965 10-29-2013 09:31 AM

Looks like good stuff.