Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   what is the line for that's dripping fuel? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1275582-what-is-the-line-for-thats-dripping-fuel.html)

Highbeam 10-30-2013 04:03 PM

Air from the bowl will be purged back to the tank through the return line from the bowl just as it is every time you change your fuel filter by cycling the key/pump. Air in the heads is much worse and takes longer.

Brother Les 10-30-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by flavo (Post 13683968)
No one has verified what they think/know to be an acceptable amount of cranking before I give up with out starting. On my previous attempt I cranked it 4 x for about 4 seconds.

And good news update I think.
I just cleaned up all the fresh diesel spills around the bay and replaced the drain line from behind the bowl with some fresh non rotted hose. KOEO to refill the bowl that was once again drained down. I got leaking out of the valve drain hose! I assume this means that I have a pretty wicked leak from those bad o-rings and all will be good once the rings come in?
Now if the 2 day shipping wouldn't take 4 days I would be done with this already.

On a side note. It is time to get serious about maintenance on my engine bay. Lots of leaks have been found.
fuel, oil and anti freeze!!

Hence, you want fully charged batts with the charger on it while you are cramping. take the air filter hose off and get a can of w-d40 (no fumes to explode but will burn) spray a little in when ready to try to start. Let glow plugs heat up for a few seconds..... and then let it crank for about 15-30 seconds. If it does not try to fire. Let batts charge a little and repeat. You have to get your fuel pressure up in the rails and get fuel in there.

Get the new o-rings on the drain valve for now and then overhaul the fuel bowl at a later date.

dn29626 10-30-2013 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tappit01 (Post 13683709)
...basically all you have done is run the truck out of fuel so to say...
...you have not done any damage to your truck...

I agree.

Originally Posted by flavo (Post 13683753)
...a better sequence to cycling...

Turn ignition key on for about 20 seconds, then turn off--repeat this about 5 times.

Originally Posted by Highbeam (Post 13685253)
...Air from the bowl will be purged back to the tank through the return line...

I agree.
If anyone stated or implied that all the air goes to the injectors, i strongly disagree (a little can, of course). Once up to pressure, air will purge out through the FPR near the top of the fuel bowl.

I feel confident the truck will no longer start because it leaks too badly to build enough fuel pressure for the engine to start. (Do charge those batteries while you are waiting on the seals.)

Brother Les 10-31-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by dn29626 (Post 13685618)

If anyone stated or implied that all the air goes to the injectors, i strongly disagree (a little can, of course). Once up to pressure, air will purge out through the FPR near the top of the fuel bowl.

I feel confident the truck will no longer start because it leaks too badly to build enough fuel pressure for the engine to start. (Do charge those batteries while you are waiting on the seals.)

Reading one of my posts would seem that. My bad. Was not thinking about the return line.