Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   How much should it cost to have fuel pump replaced? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1275437-how-much-should-it-cost-to-have-fuel-pump-replaced.html)

mrsvegan 10-25-2013 12:03 PM

How much should it cost to have fuel pump replaced?

Hi guys,
Can someone please ballpark me on what it should cost to have the fuel pump replaced on a 2001 Excursion 7.3?

timmyboy76 10-25-2013 12:28 PM

not sure, but remember reading that the fuel pump located in the tank. Our trucks, the pumps' located on the frame. Either way, if you got the time, do it yourself.

excavator 10-25-2013 01:04 PM

are you sure you need fuel pump? I just had a low fuel psi reading on a gauge hooked up to my 99 F350. It was reading 25 psi at idle and lower raising throttle. I placed order for new FPR rebuild kit and after install I now have 65 psi at idle. I got kit from Diesel O-Rings .com

Robert6401 10-25-2013 04:39 PM

mrsvegan,

Let us know what makes you think you need a new fuel pump. They do fail, but not all that often. I'd be willing to bet if you're having an issue it's something else and the mechanic is trying to throw parts at the problem. Let us help you. Where in GA are you? I'm in SC and can possibly help if you're not too far, and there are other forum members in GA. Don't pay for a new pump until we get you in the right direction.

Robert6401 10-25-2013 04:41 PM

I should've added, however, that it should take less than an hour to replace the fuel pump . So cost of pump, plus one hour of labor should be total cost to pay someone else to do it. Still doubtful that the pump is the issue, though.

Nicmike 10-25-2013 05:51 PM

Pumps run about $160 for OEM (Bosch). Labor can be $60-100 for an hour. I just replaced mine last month. Very easy job.

mrsvegan 10-25-2013 08:22 PM

Hi Guys, Earlier in the week I posted this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-cold-day.html

Our local diesel shop (kinda weird people) said they could not put it on the computer until Monday. I changed the fuel filter today and it was falling apart (I know I know) I thought that my Excursion had a light that came on like our 250 does that told when the fuel filter needed to be changed. Apparently that is not the case. Anyway, changed the fuel filter thought that would fix the problem. My husband then test drove it to see if it was fix and it barely got him home it was so bad. He said he feels it is some kind of fuel delivery issue, possibly the fuel pump. Called around today and was not super happy with any of our option here but will go talk to some people face to face Monday I guess. I am hoping like heck we didn't end up trashing the injectors with the cruddy fuel filter.

mrsvegan 10-25-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nicmike (Post 13667190)
Pumps run about $160 for OEM (Bosch). Labor can be $60-100 for an hour. I just replaced mine last month. Very easy job.

Where did you buy it from?

Stewart_H 10-25-2013 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrsvegan (Post 13667744)
I thought that my Excursion had a light that came on like our 250 does that told when the fuel filter needed to be changed.

What year is your F250, and what kind of engine?

Stewart

t.scottNDU 10-25-2013 08:54 PM

I replaced mine last month as well. I purchased it from dieselorings.com.
It's a very easy job, the only "special" tool would be a 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool, everything else uses common wrenches, sockets, etc.
You will need to reuse the fitting on the push side of the pump, as well as the insulating cover and mounting bolts. New one should come with new nuts and washers for the electrical connection.

How many miles on the Ex? I'm with the other guys, it's too big of a coincidence that this is happening directly after the fuel filter debacle you described.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how many miles you had on the old filter? They should be changed every 10k. I change mine every 5k.

lartross 10-25-2013 09:28 PM

There's a good chance it's a clogged screen in the in tank pick-up. There a hutch mod would be a good path to take. 'Course, someone has to do the wrenchin'....

Nicmike 10-25-2013 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrsvegan (Post 13667804)
Where did you buy it from?

Dieselorings.com of course! ;) $145...However, he is out of stock on them. I also own a 2001 X, and the pickup foot in the tank had fallen apart. I did the hutch mod on it to remedy that and future problems. You have guys in your area that are willing to help you out.

tdpower 10-26-2013 07:16 AM

If they get a pump from the dealer they list for $350 or more plus labor. Could also be the screens in the tank like lartross suggested.

mrsvegan 10-26-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 13667868)
What year is your F250, and what kind of engine?

Stewart

It's a 1995' 7.3

mrsvegan 10-26-2013 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by t.scottNDU (Post 13667885)
I replaced mine last month as well. I purchased it from dieselorings.com.
It's a very easy job, the only "special" tool would be a 5/16 fuel line disconnect tool, everything else uses common wrenches, sockets, etc.
You will need to reuse the fitting on the push side of the pump, as well as the insulating cover and mounting bolts. New one should come with new nuts and washers for the electrical connection.

How many miles on the Ex? I'm with the other guys, it's too big of a coincidence that this is happening directly after the fuel filter debacle you described.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how many miles you had on the old filter? They should be changed every 10k. I change mine every 5k.

Very ashamed to say that poor fuel filter was on there for about 150,000 Miles
My EX has 217,000 on it.