Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   1968 F350 crew cab (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1275016-1968-f350-crew-cab.html)

ltharper 10-23-2013 12:28 PM

1968 F350 crew cab

Hi y'all. Im new to the forum. I recently bought a 1968 Ford F350 Crew Cab dually. It was originally a paving company's truck as the lettering can still be seen on the side. It had a pintle hitch on the back at some point of time so I assumed it towed alot. It has a 390 in it, that was running when I bought it, but is not now (long story). It even has front disc brakes. I was wondering if any of y'all know of any good resources for crew cab parts. I live in eastern NC. I have an AC unit out of a '66 that I am going to try to install in it, I am planning on getting the engine rebuilt. Im going to put a flat bed on it and probably some bucket seats on the inside. The outside only has one dent in the back door and a small amount of rust on the bottom of the other back door.Y'all got any suggestions on what to do with it or where to get parts (besides LMC). Im in college so Im going to try to get it running for as cheap as possible. I deal alot more with diesel motors and don't know a lot about gas motors. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks!

abyars111 10-23-2013 01:05 PM

Welcome aboard. The only "special" I've found so far on my crew cab are the cab, rear doors & under bed aux. fuel tank. The doors are actually cut down front doors as well as the door panels. You can buy parts from any Bumpside parts dealer. NPD, Carpenters, Carolina Classics. You can still get a lot of NOS Ford parts from dealers such as Green Sales.

Check out www.oldfordcrewcabs.com It is a good website for crew cab info but you can get much better than this website.

NumberDummy 10-23-2013 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ltharper (Post 13658100)
Hi y'all. Im new to the forum. I recently bought a 1968 Ford F350 Crew Cab dually. It was originally a paving company's truck as the lettering can still be seen on the side. It had a pintle hitch on the back at some point of time so I assumed it towed alot. It has a 390 in it, that was running when I bought it, but is not now (long story). It even has front disc brakes. I was wondering if any of y'all know of any good resources for crew cab parts. I live in eastern NC.

I have an AC unit out of a '66 that I am going to try to install in it.

Dual piston caliper disc brakes were an option for 1968/72 F250 2WD's & F350's.

The only A/C available for 1965/67 F100/350's came w/a "hang-on" bezel that contains the blower motor and expansion valve.

Bezel is the same as 1965/66 Mustang, its face has four round registers with the two A/C switches between them.

While picture caption includes 1968/69, rarely will this A/C be found in these trucks, plus...352's were not installed after 1967.

Beginning in 1968, Ford offered three different A/C's, all were hang-on units.

1) Factory installed integral A/C combined w/the heater, A/C controls located in same panel as heater controls.

2) Deluxe dealer installed A/C, bezel spans the entire underside of the dash, contains two switches.

3) Economy dealer installed A/C, bezel located at center of dash, contains two switches.

ltharper 10-23-2013 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the info.my truck has an under the bed aux. Tank but i dont think its any good. Gotta take it off and check it out when I go home next time. The a/c system is a hang on system. I dont kbow if it will put out enough to matter because i have never seen it work. It came off of an old parts truck we used to have.

abe 10-23-2013 04:43 PM

We like old work trucks with old lettering on... so you got to show us some pictures!

and welcome to FTE!

ltharper 10-23-2013 04:51 PM

The lettering is either painted over or removed decals. You csn just barely see the outline of it. But I will tryto put some pics up

ltharper 10-23-2013 07:37 PM

Heres some pics of the truck. theyre not really good, but im an hour away from the
http://s749.photobucket.com/user/lth...tml?sort=3&o=3
http://s749.photobucket.com/user/lth...tml?sort=3&o=5
[IMG]http://s749.photobucket.com/user/ltharper/media/dually6_zps1beda44d.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4[/IMG

crazed87bronco 10-23-2013 07:58 PM

Not sure if its just me but I can't see any photos just blank boxes good find on the crew cab what all parts are you looking for it?

abyars111 10-23-2013 08:03 PM

pictures don't show up for me either but I pasted your link in my browser and it worked.

dually6_zps1beda44d.jpg Photo by ltharper | Photobucket

this link should take anyone to the pics

that looks like a good solid find
nice score

My family & I love our crew cab, everyone gets to ride

ltharper 10-23-2013 09:00 PM

Sorry bout the pics. Im still getting used to the forum. Im looking for a headliner, carpet, small things like that mostly. the truck is pretty complete. Even the dome light works. I do need a new grill as it looks like the previous owner maybe hit a deer or something. I would like to do a swap to a '70 or newer grill, but all of that will have to wait until I get the engine rebuilt, unless I find a good deal on something. I am possibly looking a stock longbed. I thought about adding some fiberglass fenders to a stock bed maybe by using some fenders from arrocraft for a 92-96 truck. I believe they will bolt right on.

abyars111 10-23-2013 09:08 PM

you hit on an something I forgot to mention, the headliner is a crew cab only item, you'll have to fabricate something

The Dentside carpets fit in the Bumpside crew cabs. Some venders list them seperate but most only list the 1973-1979 version withc will fit.

crazed87bronco 10-23-2013 09:31 PM

Yea abyars is right on the headliner and carpet you won't find a headliner unless you get it from a donor crew. I got a question for my fellow crew owners did anyone else's bump side crew come from FACTORY with a full carpet? Mine didn't come with a carpet but did have a rubber type mat covering the whole floor. It's a shame my buddy found a crew wasted away in a field and he scrapped it but let me pick what I wanted off of it first i got a couple parts and told him to get me the headliner but he forgot to get it I was sad to see a nice condition liner go to waste. Pretty much anything that separates a standard cab from being a crew cab is not offered in reproduction parts you'll need to make your own very clean crew you have there mine was Swiss cheese still is in spots but I like these old fords in yellow and orange color

bigbrown1985 10-23-2013 09:41 PM

Go to national parts depot every cab configuration and color only like 200 fully molded carpet kits!

crazed87bronco 10-23-2013 10:15 PM

Ill have to check into that site I got a carpet set for my crew but forget if it was for a standard cab or a crew cab from Lmc been so long since I ordered it. anyone ever try making a new headliner? Would like to see how you's did it been thinking of trying to make one up looking for ideas

bigbrown1985 10-23-2013 10:30 PM

I was thinking of using 1/8 inch Masonite board then covering it.