Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   1.0 Exhaust Housing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1274647-1-0-exhaust-housing.html)

SkySkiJason 10-22-2013 07:23 PM

He will get what he is after and he'll be happy about it. The difference here is splitting hairs and the butt dyno always favors the anticipated results.

I've said why I didnt think it was a good plan as far as economics vs performance, but I don't have any reason to argue about it.

Let us know how ya like it hamster!!!

Stewart_H 10-22-2013 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 13655101)
I know someone who went from stock to 1.0 housing with stock injectors, maybe that's the guy you want to hear from. :o

I'm one of those guys. And like I posted earlier when I agreed with your statement, I saw no performance gains. And like your statement that I agreed with, I did it as a preventive measure against surge happening while towing my travel-trailer.

Stewart

JT250 10-22-2013 10:17 PM

I feel that this is now going nowhere. Nobody has an answer to your original question and it seems like you already have your mind made up anyway.
I'm sure PHPs test was done on a stock turbo. Those numbers aren't surprising. A 1.15 on a stock turbo makes no sense to me.
Sorry we couldnt help. In the future be aware that people are Sharing their opinions and it is best not to take things personally.

mueckster 10-22-2013 10:36 PM

I ran an ATS 1.0 turbine and ATS ported compressor housings with a stock wheel on my stock turbo. I really loved the combination with stock injectors and tuning. Nice spool up and slightly lower EGTs. I sold it to another member who was equally as pleased. I'm sure with a billet wheel, it would have performed even better.
IMHO, there is no "voodoo" when it comes to like sized turbine housings. I would go with the best value. :)

DHamSTER 10-22-2013 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by mueckster (Post 13656422)
I ran an ATS 1.0 turbine and ATS ported compressor housings with a stock wheel on my stock turbo. I really loved the combination with stock injectors and tuning. Nice spool up and slightly lower EGTs. I sold it to another member who was equally as pleased. I'm sure with a billet wheel, it would have performed even better.
IMHO, there is no "voodoo" when it comes to like sized turbine housings. I would go with the best value. :)

Thank you man!!! The best answer I have gotten in the last 2 days! Your opinion is exactly what I was looking for!

cookie88 11-18-2013 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by DHamSTER (Post 13655320)
Im not getting something thats nonwastegated...

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason (Post 13655323)
Spoken like someone who really doesn't understand all of this yet... :( Good luck!

Originally Posted by DHamSTER (Post 13655328)
Please elaborate then....

It's pretty simple. A stone stock turbo can make 30 psi all day every day for years on end. 30 psi is also well below what the engine can handle. So if you're not damaging the motor and your not damaging the turbo then what is the purpose of the wastegate? The answer is nothing. All that open wastegate is doing is making the turbo less efficient by bleeding off drive pressure that could otherwise be put to the ground.

I do tend to agree that the 1.0 housing is the best "All around" housing for stock or mild sticks and a chip... but again.. the wastegate question is neither relevant, or needed.

One thing that nobody has pointed out is that you may end up pretty disappointed with your new set up. When you install larger housings and split profile wheels you are setting that turbo up to either handle extreme drive pressures, or to stay cool towing heavy...... but with stock tuning and stock sticks your new big turbo will be a dog. It will take forever to spool and your boost numbers will be far below what you expect. You simply won't have the drive pressure to make use of the big slow turbo.

Once you plug in the hot rod tuning the modded turbo will shine..... but stock vs. stock the .84 turbine and stock wheel will kill your modded turbo.