Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   EGR CLEAN (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1274594-egr-clean.html)

Guzzo 10-21-2013 12:46 PM

EGR CLEAN

so after some well off help from a couple guys, i did it

i cleaned my EGR after turning it sideways hooking up some shoe string and given it a big pull to get it out, i looked at it ( Will post pics soon)
the o-rings were in tact. not very dirty, the very bottom of it ( I assume that is the valve that opens and closes, was a little caked up etc..

so i cleaned it with pb blaster wiped it clean, cleaned inside the hole it goes into. intake mani?

then bolted it back down

how do i know if i seated it proper? the nuts seem to continously turn.. like they are stripped but idk

it was a bit of a turn to break them loose but with some push i broke them, bolts seemed fine, hope i didnt screw the threads up?

i tightened it as much as i could and that was it

I have a huge case of worrying when i do things that im unsure of..

it is either my imagination or i drove it around then put the pedal down a bit, and it seemed the turbo was yelling at me a bit. like always just heard it a bit more

would the egr have anything to do with that?

also. when i left off the gas, it sounds like a big rig engine braking.

( Not that loud at all, but noticeable and that is the only correlation i can think of) just a litte bughhh bughhhhh but you have to be paying attention to hear it... not sure if it is my 35'' nittos or what?

any insight would be great.

MoyockPowerstroke 10-21-2013 01:28 PM

The valve hold down bolts are 10ftlbs....the bolts are steel the intake is aluminum....sounds like you stripped them?

Also, you wanted to make sure not to introduce any solvents into the weep holes at the valve's base. If you did, the valve may be damaged or have issues.

I'd always refer to the Tech folder.

Guzzo 10-21-2013 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke (Post 13650847)
The valve hold down bolts are 10ftlbs....the bolts are steel the intake is aluminum....sounds like you stripped them?

Also, you wanted to make sure not to introduce any solvents into the weep holes at the valve's base. If you did, the valve may be damaged or have issues.

I'd always refer to the Tech folder.

then i may have stripped the intake? there were no solvents that got into the weep holes, i wiped it all down with a rag.

MoyockPowerstroke 10-21-2013 01:52 PM

I'd take a torque wrench to them to confirm (either 10 ft lbs, 13nM, ot 120 in lbs)....but if they are turning endlessly it sounds like the threads are stripped. You may be able to insert heli-coil inserts?

Guzzo 10-21-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke (Post 13650925)
I'd take a torque wrench to them to confirm (either 10 ft lbs, 13nM, ot 120 in lbs)....but if they are turning endlessly it sounds like the threads are stripped. You may be able to insert heli-coil inserts?

yea its an endless turn. i knew what it was when i tried tightening and just damned myself knowing something would happen. i hate aluminum... HATE

i was told it doesn't matter if they are torqued or not. as it doesn't make a difference what do ever? any truth in that? EGR DELETE HERE I COME!!!

MoyockPowerstroke 10-21-2013 05:47 PM

I guess you could try a self tapping thread screw with a block off plate if you go with the delete.

Guzzo 10-21-2013 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke (Post 13651588)
I guess you could try a self tapping thread screw with a block off plate if you go with the delete.

i suppose thats what i will have to do....

jswartz84 10-21-2013 11:22 PM

If you do the egr delete, remember to leave the egr valve in place and plugged in for proper cooling fan operation.

Like suggested, heli-coil the stripped out holes and go back with the same bolts. You will be much happier in the end.

Especially if you have any OCD tendencies.

Guzzo 10-21-2013 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by jswartz84 (Post 13652940)
If you do the egr delete, remember to leave the egr valve in place and plugged in for proper cooling fan operation.

Like suggested, heli-coil the stripped out holes and go back with the same bolts. You will be much happier in the end.

Especially if you have any OCD tendencies.

Yea my OCD kicks in and real bad in this situation!