Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   Shorten a long box? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1273967-shorten-a-long-box.html)

Uni Moe 10-18-2013 10:30 AM

Shorten a long box?

I've heard of it being done but what's involved? Are the wheel bases the same on the short and long trucks?

garbz2 10-19-2013 11:34 AM

114" vs 122"

I can be done but will require tremendous rework of the sheet metal and sourcing of new end stampings for a short bed.

Garbz

Roger Carter 11-23-2013 12:54 PM

To keep the factory proportions the bed needs to be shortened between the cab and rear axle and behind the rear axle.

Keeping the body line straight (as factory) is where the work is. Several different approaches, depending on who is doing the work.
As Garbz mentioned, the rear bed corners are different between a long and short Uni.

And then you can start dealing with the torque box...

It is a lot of work and really not a project a novice should attempt.

RC

C G 11-26-2013 11:14 AM

I have a 62 uni long box. It was a project a buddy started. He took some out of the rear to shorten it up. Finished it off nicely, and it looks fine back there. Might not be the same as a real short box in the back but it looks good. I was thinking that I could move just the wheel opening cut outs forward and move the rear up to match the wheel base of a true short bed.

I looked at it a bunch though and I'm actually fine with its looks. Because it has the bed attached to the cab it doesn't look bad like a lot of detached long box trucks Ive seen that the same treatment has been done to. Its a rust free truck and Ive never really looked that closely underneath to see this torque box thing.

Its not really a truck for this forum though. Has a Volare front clip and a 350/350 Chev. I believe this site is for more "pure" Ford enthusiasts. I know I joined awhile back when I had a 78 Ford 3/4 ton ... very helpful place.

Uni Moe 11-26-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by C G (Post 13781549)
I have a 62 uni long box. It was a project a buddy started. He took some out of the rear to shorten it up. Finished it off nicely, and it looks fine back there. Might not be the same as a real short box in the back but it looks good. I was thinking that I could move just the wheel opening cut outs forward and move the rear up to match the wheel base of a true short bed.

I looked at it a bunch though and I'm actually fine with its looks. Because it has the bed attached to the cab it doesn't look bad like a lot of detached long box trucks Ive seen that the same treatment has been done to. Its a rust free truck and Ive never really looked that closely underneath to see this torque box thing.

Its not really a truck for this forum though. Has a Volare front clip and a 350/350 Chev. I believe this site is for more "pure" Ford enthusiasts. I know I joined awhile back when I had a 78 Ford 3/4 ton ... very helpful place.

So how's about a picture?

C G 11-27-2013 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Uni Moe (Post 13782163)
So how's about a picture?

Ill post up a pic when I get it figured out. I posted one yesterday on another thread and its not showing up today. I belong to a couple of other boards and post pics, so Im not sure whats wrong