Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1956 F100 COLUMN OPTIONS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1273274-1956-f100-column-options.html)

dynamic 10-14-2013 06:47 PM

1956 F100 COLUMN OPTIONS

So I am in the process of figuring out the parts I will needfor the Crown Victoria suspension swap and am starting to think about steering columns.

My truck will be running a 4.6 fuel injected engine from a 2006 crown with a 5 speed transmission from a 2010 mustang gt.

Basically I want a tilt column. Everything I read say 30” is the standard column for F100 projects.

I see everything from inexpensive ebay columns right up totop dollar columns.

What did you use?

Would you use it again?

FLAMING RIVER

IDIDIT

EBAY SPECIAL

MID FIFTY "CLASSIC" COLUMN

AXracer 10-14-2013 07:07 PM

Ididit plain steel (paintable) tilt column without shifter or ignition switch, Ididit steering wheel adaptor and Grant 15" wheel. Being able to tilt the wheel more vertical helps get rid of the "bus driver" lean on the steering wheel feel.
I'd definitely go the same route again.

I'd avoid the cheapest no name columns, some use salvaged parts for the tilt mechanism, the Chinese made ones use a lot of fragile plastic.

ben73058 10-14-2013 11:54 PM

Hey Dynamic,
I made a mistake on columns. I started with an Ebay special that looked
nice & had tilt - I think it was around $230 if I remember correctly. When it came in the mail - a lot of the the pieces that looked chrome in the pics were just plated plastic. We tried to install it but the inside plastic parts were just crap & it basically fell apart.

So... We went with an Ididit column with Tilt the second time around.

Good luck over there.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

dynamic 12-17-2013 06:45 PM

Alright gang, so I have decided to go with an Ididit column.

Next decision is Chrome, brushed aluminum or polished aluminum

chrome is in the $500 dollar range.

brushed aluminum is in the $650 dollar range.

polished aluminum is in the $750 dollar range.

Can somebody give me the benefit of spending the extra money for brushed or polished over chrome???

56panelford 12-17-2013 06:57 PM

I like the painted IDIDIT columns

drptop70ss 12-17-2013 07:57 PM

Man you guys have money burning in your pockets! I stick with factory stuff from the boneyard or my own parts cars. I am using a 65 cutlass column, actual value maybe $75 with the steering wheel. Has a 3/4" round shaft on the end so easy to adapt to ujoints as needed.

Project-55 12-17-2013 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 13854910)
Man you guys have money burning in your pockets! I stick with factory stuff from the boneyard or my own parts cars. I am using a 65 cutlass column, actual value maybe $75 with the steering wheel. Has a 3/4" round shaft on the end so easy to adapt to ujoints as needed.

I'm with you drtop, I have a 87 van column that I cut down to 30" but am planning to use a crown vic column now to match my wiring harness, less than a c note in both of them. Or maybe I'm just cheap...hehe.

Branded 12-18-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by drptop70ss (Post 13854910)

The mid sixties tilt columns are demanding big money now days unless the seller doesn't know what he has.

56panelford 12-18-2013 08:06 AM

I feel better knowing that I'm navigating the highway with new parts than something 40 plus years old. I've picked up a few columns that the bearings were shot and the aftermarket ones look much cleaner.

drptop70ss 12-18-2013 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Branded (Post 13856150)
The mid sixties tilt columns are demanding big money now days unless the seller doesn't know what he has.

In my case no need for a tilt if I can set the angle up as I want with a straight column. I put tilt in my 37 buick and 48 cadillac and I never use it once the wheel is where I want it. I am using a straight column in my 51 F1.

AXracer 12-18-2013 08:55 AM

I never change my tilt, but I sure like the comfort allowed by being able to set it where I prefer it, especially because I don't like the poor control the "bus driver" stance a straight column gives you. Especially useful when there was two of us driving our vehicles. I'm 6'2" 270, my ex was 5'4" and 110. Same with power driver's seat.
I also went with the painted column, I personally don't find them attractive enough to want to draw attention to it by blinging it up, but each to their own.

old_dan 12-18-2013 05:03 PM

If you get the natural finish and paint it yourself it seems to be a pretty good cost savings. Here's a link for Summit Racing at $369. The big guys (Summit and Jegs) have been offering free shipping on $99 and up orders.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/id...0010/overview/

Dan

clintonvillian 12-19-2013 09:10 AM

Does anyone here have experience with the summit racing columns? The one big draw for me to Ididit is the fact that they produce a kit that has your dimmer switch on the end of the signal lever.

Not a real big deal but it helps to remove the floor switch and keeps the dash cleaner.

old_dan 12-19-2013 09:49 AM

That link I posted is the Ididit brand...it's just the plain Jane version with the ignition switch on the dash. I put this one in. It has the turn signal control and the hazard flasher controls along with the tilt lever. There are options with the high beam switch, but I'm using a classic floor switch. You do get the GM style connector. If you're using a new wiring harness it will have the matching connector for everything in the column.

Dan

clintonvillian 12-19-2013 10:02 AM

How about the "summit racing brand column"?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...th-in/30-00-in

They are quite a bit cheaper, are they any good or junk?