Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum56/)
-   -   Updated Y block parts conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1271471-updated-y-block-parts-conversion.html)

Y-block 10-05-2013 07:51 AM

Updated Y block parts conversion

Looking for some help. I am getting ready to re-build my 272 Y-block and was looking to update some parts on it. I had heard that a 460 starter will fit on the Y-block. Does anyone know if this is true?
Also are there any other more modern parts that will fit on the Y-block that I can look at such as the distributer- fuel pump - etc. Any input would be appreciated.

46yblock 10-06-2013 09:41 AM

A mini starter works well. The name of the man's company that sells them is probably still on the Home page of y's forever.

ALL AMERICAN BOY 10-06-2013 02:46 PM

y block

before you commit to rebuilding the 272 you might

think about an engine conversion.

an updated y block is a Ford Windsor engine, 289, 302 (5.0) or 351.

it'll be a LOT easier to work on in the future and you'll probably

be happier with the extra cubes.

you can take your 272 drivetrain and put it in garage and cover it up

or 'fling it' like a lot of people do, sell it on Ebay.

have a nice day!

46yblock 10-06-2013 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ALL AMERICAN BOY (Post 13598934)
y block

have a nice day!

"Fling it"?!
That is a bunch of crap. Maybe someone else will suggest he get an SBC.
They are REAL cheap.

The Master Cylinder 10-06-2013 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Y-block (Post 13595463)
Looking for some help. I am getting ready to re-build my 272 Y-block and was looking to update some parts on it. I had heard that a 460 starter will fit on the Y-block. Does anyone know if this is true?
Also are there any other more modern parts that will fit on the Y-block that I can look at such as the distributer- fuel pump - etc. Any input would be appreciated.

What year is your engine? I don't believe Ford put a 272 in trucks until '56. If you have the original engine it is a 239. Pretty sure the 460 starter won't fit.
many of the later Y-Block parts will fit. You should definitely consider getting a '57 up distributor/carb combo and get rid of the Load-o-matic distributor.

Originally Posted by ALL AMERICAN BOY (Post 13598934)
y block

!

Oh, Please....

charliemccraney 10-07-2013 01:29 PM

A 460 starter will not fit. An early FE starter will fit. The high torque unit is awesome.

Y Block Ford Gear Reduction Starter

MSD and Mallory make distributors for the Y-Block and there are numerous electronic conversions for stock distributors. You can also modify a stock distributor to use Duraspark internals which can then be used to trigger virtually any ignition box.

FE fuel pumps work with Y-Blocks, so that gives you more options when looking for an aftermarket pump or for that middle-of-nowhere fix.

For the most part, there isn't much that needs to be updated on a Y-Block. It is essentially the same technology that carried through to the small block, FE, etc and as a result, with an FE or small block, etc, you really don't gain much. It is difficult to match the low end torque and fuel economy of a Y, even with a "modern" engine. This doesn't mean that a high powered ignition or modern carb won't help, but it may not be worth the cost for your goals.
What it does lack is as strong an aftermarket as the other engines but that only concerns you if you're looking for serious power. You can get excellent street performance with a Y using 100% original Ford parts, maybe massaged a little, but original Ford, nonetheless.
If you ever do plan a swap, the best will be a 292 or 312. It will bolt right in. Pay no attention to the clowns who suggest a swap to another engine family entirely. The only logical reason I could see for that swap is if you need, oh say in excess of 800 reliable hp. Y Blocks are very reliable. If you need parts, yes they will cost more but with a properly rebuilt Y, the average guy will never have to buy anything other than tune up / routine maintenance items for the rest of his life, and in most cases, those parts are the exact same as the "cheap" "modern" engines, so they cost the same.

If you want to update your 272 with some of the better factory parts, the first step is to identify what you have now. Once you know what you have, you can determine what you need. Here is a good place to start.

http://www.ford-y-block.com/technical.htm

Well, actually, even if you want aftermarket parts, that is one of the best places to start.

NumberDummy 10-07-2013 01:50 PM

223/239/272/292 starters are the same, but are specific to A/T or M/T. FE starters same A/T & M/T

What would people consider to be the years of the early FE starter? How can people tell the difference with the later starter?

Same jazz applies to 223/Y blocks starters, as there's an early and a late.

charliemccraney 10-07-2013 02:10 PM

1964 and earlier FE.

Here's a link to a discussion on the other Y Block forum.

Starters?????

It is indicated that the bendix of the newer starter moves rearward (toward the rear of the car), whereas the bendix of the older one moves forward, like a Y. I have no first hand experience with it. Personally, I'd go with that aftermarket high torque unit and be done - and that's what I did.

I didn't know about a difference in auto and manual for the Y. Is it an actual difference with the part, or simply different part numbers for what is actually the same part? What is the difference if they are actually different?

Y-block 10-08-2013 06:23 PM

Thanks for the great info.
By the way some of you were right. The truck originally had a 239 but the engine was replaced in the 60's with a 272.
I will definitely look at the electronic ignition as I get closer to that stage.
:-X21

Y-block 10-08-2013 06:36 PM

Thanks for the link.... it told me a lot...