Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads any good? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1270606-ebc-green-stuff-brake-pads-any-good.html)

LivingLarge 09-30-2013 06:59 PM

EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads any good?

I have EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads on my Ex, they look new (5k miles) but they squeal too much for my taste. They grab nicely and have no grinding noises is this normal for these pads?

EXv10 09-30-2013 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 13581169)
I have EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads on my Ex, they look new (5k miles) but they squeal too much for my taste. They grab nicely and have no grinding noises is this normal for these pads?

Put stock ones in then.

LivingLarge 09-30-2013 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 13581620)
Put stock ones in then.

Yeah, I was very happy with my previous EX... I did have issues with Motorcraft so I had switched to Ford Brown Box pads and they worked out great for me.

Looks like I will do that to this EX.

Stewart_H 09-30-2013 09:58 PM

Michael, SkySkiJason is running those pads. Send him a PM.

Stewart

LivingLarge 09-30-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 13581920)
Michael, SkySkiJason is running those pads. Send him a PM.

Stewart

Will do, thanks Stewart

Xcursion88 10-01-2013 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 13581928)
Will do, thanks Stewart

I have a bit of experience working with performance vehicles...

EBC pads are very good for what the intention is ...stopping. Having said that they always seem to carry some PITA issue..no matter green stuff, red stuff, etc etc..

some are just the filthiest pads you have ever seen made but they stop great. Some are the most annoying sounding pads ever created and again they stop great.

I can tell you one pad that I can confirm does neither...squeal or make your wheels filthy with dust....Akebono brake pads are superb. Yes there are pads that stop faster/firmer...but if you drive with sense in mind they work great. Last a very long time and will never talk to you.

Good luck...and they too are made in the USA

Jmatthews 10-01-2013 05:50 AM

I have them on the front of my Ex for probably 40k, I really like them and have had no noises at all. They stop well and I think the dust is much less as well. I would use them again.

EXv10 10-01-2013 10:12 AM

Squealing is caused by rapidly grabbing and letting go of an object (or striking it) much like a violin bow does but the object also needs to lend itself to vibrating (like the bell shaped rotor) and aggressive pads are more grabby but the material on the backs of the pads attempt to nullify this. Maybe you could try adding some brake grease to the pad backs also to further nullify the vibrations.

LivingLarge 10-01-2013 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 13583364)
Squealing is caused by rapidly grabbing and letting go of an object (or striking it) much like a violin bow does but the object also needs to lend itself to vibrating (like the bell shaped rotor) and aggressive pads are more grabby but the material on the backs of the pads attempt to nullify this. Maybe you could try adding some brake grease to the pad backs also to further nullify the vibrations.

I think my concern is that when I purchased the truck the dealer claimed it was just serviced... From the looks of it, I can see the brakes were done, oil change was done, Batteries were brand new... Within a few weeks of ownership, I had replaced all fluids and filters also had the brakes checked out (I like to know what's in there). The first 1k miles by me had zero squealing and now I am at about 5k I'm getting the squealing. The info I've been getting seams to be the the reverse, most are claiming the squealing is for the first 1,000 miles than goes away.

I guess I'll try the brake grease and see what happens, but if it doesn't change I will probably go back to OEM.

EXv10 10-01-2013 11:37 AM

Let us know if it worked. I would say change the anti-friction material on the backs but they are riveted on. You might want to hit the faces with an orbital sander while you are at it.

LivingLarge 10-15-2013 02:56 PM

Decided to change them out, probably do next month when I go in for an oil change.

Going with Ford rotors and ford brown box pads.

I can't get rid of the occasional squeak not worth the time and effort.

housedad 10-15-2013 05:09 PM

II don't have green stuff, I have the yellow stuff. Stopping is great, dusting is more than OEM, and squealing is gone after the first couple thousand miles. I never minded squealing brakes. To me it is a sign they are working. I guess I'm too old school on that.

LivingLarge 10-15-2013 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by housedad (Post 13631330)
II don't have green stuff, I have the yellow stuff. Stopping is great, dusting is more than OEM, and squealing is gone after the first couple thousand miles. I never minded squealing brakes. To me it is a sign they are working. I guess I'm too old school on that.

These have about 5500 miles, squealing has not gone away... So I'm done;)

No big deal, sticking to what's worked for me in the past.

LivingLarge 12-06-2013 12:38 PM

I think the squealing sounds I thought were these pads may have been the beginning of my hub assembly going bad. I have not heard any noises or squealing since the hub assembly change. I feel pretty stupid not being able to distinguish the difference. Oh well

Jmatthews 12-06-2013 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 13814907)
I think the squealing sounds I thought were these pads may have been the beginning of my hub assembly going bad. I have not heard any noises or squealing since the hub assembly change. I feel pretty stupid not being able to distinguish the difference. Oh well

That's okay, I changed my hub assembly when I had a bad tire.......