Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Riffraffs billet compressor wheel for ported housing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1270582-riffraffs-billet-compressor-wheel-for-ported-housing.html)

diehardstroker 09-30-2013 04:43 PM

Riffraffs billet compressor wheel for ported housing

well now that i finally have my truck back together i can give some feedback on the new wheel. this is the wheel for the PORTED HOUSINGS, i dont want anybody to mistake it.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...pse720ac7c.jpg

I only drove the truck for aobut 10 min. and didnt get on it to hard as it wasnt quite in the operating temps yet, but so far theres a definite difference in spool up and its also much quiter than the stock wheel. im gonna take a drive in a few min. and get some more in depth details and do some logging with the torque app on my phone.

diehardstroker 09-30-2013 06:10 PM

just got back from a ride and all i have to say is WOW!!! what a difference it makes!! off idle theres still a little lag but thats expected with any turbo setup, but give it about half a second and hold the F*** on! it rips! i did a 3/4 throttle run and easily hit 27 psi of boost. and broke the tires loose off idle with ease! im gonna get a full throttle run here in a little bit, town driving is hard to do that. I wasnt watching my egt guage though so ill get a better idea if the wheel affected it on the 2nd run.

it is much quieter than the stock wheel period. even at higher boost levels, it also has a little different pitch to it..dont worry though it increased the whistle out my tailpipe at lower rpms enough for me to be like oh snap thats loud!! lol

unfortunately i dont have an accurate way to measure ebp so I wont be able to provide that info.

AzPatMan 09-30-2013 06:28 PM

sweet!
I can't wait to get my new turbo in with that wheel.
Was going to do it today - but ran out of time.
(Pic of the new turbo :D )

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E...o/IMAG0419.jpg

Robert6401 09-30-2013 07:43 PM

Subscribing, thanks for the feedback on the new wheel.

diehardstroker 09-30-2013 08:08 PM

I'm very very pleased with it. Clay never fails to produce great products, thanks clay for another AWESOME product that WORKS!

I'm really gonna enjoy the quiter noise levels of the wheel even the stock wheel got a little annoying on long drives on the highway.

diehardstroker 09-30-2013 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by AzPatMan (Post 13581066)
sweet!
I can't wait to get my new turbo in with that wheel.
Was going to do it today - but ran out of time.
(Pic of the new turbo :D )

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-E...o/IMAG0419.jpg

That is perrttyyy!! I went the hulk route, grabber green and plum purple and did a little custom wording of the classic "got milk?" Quote but Changed it to say "got whistle?"

diehardstroker 10-01-2013 08:52 AM

On the way to work today I did a little more testing in. stock I hit 19 psi at wop, in hot I hit 30 psi at wop. I'm almost positive I'm.leaking at he manifold to uppipe connections so ill have to tighten those down some more. Egts were a little high but like I said ill have to check the connections to the manifold. I'm not concerned about the pin not being seated correctly to the back of the turbo, as I see know way to even get that clamp on w/out it being seated...so that
Leaves me with Boost leaks and the manifold
connections.

I also want to try unplugging my wastegate as I feel that's hindering it also. Id like to get a turbomaster here in the future

Dan V 10-01-2013 10:14 AM

I have a stupid question. How does changing the compressor wheel (inducer), which increases turbine noise, correlate to an increase in turbo whine on the exhaust side. It's the same wheel on the exducer side?

diehardstroker 10-01-2013 10:42 AM

This wheel didnt increase noise on the compressor side. Well they way I made since of it was, this wheel is lighter in weight so in return its easier for the exhaust wheel to turn the whole shaft assembly, if I'm thinking correctly with the new wheel its probably spinning faster than it was with the old wheel, again I only noticed the change in whistle out the pipe at.lower rpms and speeds cruising around town. There was a very slight difference at idle

diehardstroker 10-01-2013 09:10 PM

did some boosted launches today }> i could never get my turbo to spool before in a boosted launch, this thing lit like no other with the new wheel!

i also got to do some towing at work today with it and i noticed a lot more low end grunt which is what you want with towing IMO. egts are going to be hard to say cause of the bellowed uppipes i just got. but they are a little lower then they were before. again the turbo noise was quieter than the stock wheel.

so I would suggest this wheel to anybody with a ported housing, i would like to know the backpressure differences if there were any.

AzPatMan 12-30-2013 05:39 PM

So I've been running mine for a couple months now.
I'm not seeing the boost numbers yet - but I suspect that's mainly due to my up-pipes leaking badly.
But one thing I've notices is the low end torque has picked up a lot!
Probably the most surprising - it's quiet!!! I don't have any turbo whistle until like 1700 RPM, and even with that - it's tame.
can't wait to get the up pipes replaced and then see some real numbers.

diehardstroker 12-30-2013 05:52 PM

I gained about 5 lbs went from 29-34 Idk about you patman but DHamSTER can tell you im not lying when i say mine sounds like a freaking super charger hahaha at lower boost, cruising, and whenever i let off the gas it whines a like i got a big ole whipple supercharger under the hood. its far from. My previous post in this thread was before i noticed it so disregard what i said about mine being quiet lol

AzPatMan 12-30-2013 08:14 PM

I should have done a before and after recording for sound.
But, I did pass a buddy of mine on the freeway (at 4am in the morning) doing close to 85mph WOT - and with the Ts chip set on the race tune, and he said it sounded meaner than hell.
I also think I need to tweak the wastegate as well. I accidently 'un'adjusted the factory settings which should have been 25psi, and I think it's pushing open a bit even with the red-line unhooked. Which is actually fine for me during winter right now :P
But I'll see if I can get a couple WOT videos, with stock tune vs. the race tune.
I also wonder if going to the Banks 1.00 A/R also is why it quieted down?

jhand124 12-30-2013 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by AzPatMan (Post 13896921)
I should have done a before and after recording for sound.
But, I did pass a buddy of mine on the freeway (at 4am in the morning) doing close to 85mph WOT - and with the Ts chip set on the race tune, and he said it sounded meaner than hell.
I also think I need to tweak the wastegate as well. I accidently 'un'adjusted the factory settings which should have been 25psi, and I think it's pushing open a bit even with the red-line unhooked. Which is actually fine for me during winter right now :P
But I'll see if I can get a couple WOT videos, with stock tune vs. the race tune.
I also wonder if going to the Banks 1.00 A/R also is why it quieted down?

I put that wheel in my van turbo w/o ported housing, I only notice whistle at low RPMS <5. Seems to be a good choice.

High Intentions 04-02-2014 05:39 PM

Getting ready to take out my WW and install Riffraff Billet wheel. Diehardstroker, You say the wine/whistle is still there with the RR wheel? I'm hoping so. :D