Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   EFI 460 timing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1270543-efi-460-timing.html)

dwrestle 09-30-2013 02:03 PM

EFI 460 timing

Alright guys I just bought a 95 F-250 4x4 E40D with a 460, and it feels like it needs help. It seems pretty weak for what I thought as realistic expectations of a 460. It has a C9 Axle code so if I read right it's 3.55 gears and it has 285 tires on it so the larger tires could be hurting me too. I already know I am getting rid of the cat and getting new exhaust.

So what can I do? I have heard that the timing is retarded on these efi 460's is that true? Can I just have my mechanic advance it, or does the efi prevent that somehow? Will it help anything to advance the timing? Any other cheap things I can do besides headers and intakes?

ArdWrknTrk 10-01-2013 05:53 AM

The cam timing is not retarded on the EFI engines, only '71-'87 carbed ones.

The ignition timing is computer controlled, but in order to adjust it you must remove the 'spout' plug first, so the computer is not trying to compensate while you are turning the distributor.
You can probably go to 12* static without any problems. (depending on load and fuel)

dwrestle 10-01-2013 08:55 AM

Do you think I would gain anything by advancing the timing? I see it all over the place where people are claiming that advancing the timing adds power to the 460, but I came here to get the real answer, because I know FTE guys know what they are talking about.

ArdWrknTrk 10-01-2013 11:07 AM

Advancing the ignition timing a bit should improve power.
Whether it is noticeable is the question.
These trucks don't have a knock sensor so they are tuned to the worst case scenario from the factory.

4.9L 10-09-2013 08:21 AM

Thanks for this thread, I need to time my big block soon, it's running a Lil rich

wtroger 10-10-2013 10:27 PM

My 1995 f250 with 460 was a dog when I first got it. Finally checked the timing with spout pulled it was set at 0 degrees I advanced it to 12 degrees. The difference was like I had swapped In a performance engine. So my advice check and set the timing

oddfordjunkie 10-15-2013 11:16 PM

I just had to troubleshoot this problem on a guys truck, he had a shop charge him a pile of money to replace ECM, Computer on the dizzy and some other crap after he hooked the battery up backward. With the spout out it was at 10deg retarded and it would barely run, after correcting that it would bark the 35" tires with his 3.55 gears even though it still has too much tire for the gear it was a night and day difference.

If you're looking for extra bits of power for free you can cut the reducers out of the H in the intake track and depending if you are allowed in your area (legal disclaimer) remove the cat and put a free flowing muffler on. Not sure if your year has air deflectors in the air box but you can check and cut them out if it does.

Tradertom69 08-29-2014 08:43 PM

My questions relate to the spout connector. My truck is a 1998 Winnebago Adventurer with the 7.5l. I too feel it runs poorly in relation to my expectations. Is the spout connector a wire that runs from one of the terminals on the coil...has a single inline connector...and runs to what looks like a resistor terminated at the mounting bolt(ground) at the base of the coil? And proper timing is set with it disconnected? And it stays connected during normal operation? Thanks!

Tradertom69 08-29-2014 08:52 PM

7.5L Winny

Another issue is the location of the timing pointer. Anyone have any tricks to see it? From what I can tell, it is supposed to be viewed on the passenger side of the engine from roughly the 10 o'clock position....No way to do that directly in the motor home! Maybe hook the timing light to a different cylinder and fabricate a pointer straight down or in another more accessible location?

ArdWrknTrk 08-29-2014 09:04 PM

The spout plug is inline between the distributor and the ECM.
You are looking at an EMF suppressor.

I don't know of any other way to view the timing pointer.

Tradertom69 08-29-2014 09:20 PM

7.5l Winny

Thanks for the response. That makes sense about what connector I was looking at. I was not getting any timing change when it was connected verses disconnected. I will follow the wiring from the distributor and try to find the spout connector.

Tradertom69 08-30-2014 12:15 PM

Spout

Finally found the spout connector! It was on the firewall under the hood. Checked the timing and no advance when it's disconnected! Finally can set the timing when we get home from camping this weekend. AND I think I figured out how to view the timing pointer.....gotta put the RV up on the leveling jacks and look at it over the passenger tire for anyone who cares!

wtroger 08-30-2014 04:32 PM

I had to add a timing mark on a big block Ford motor home one time. Could see the mark and pointer when engine wasn't running. Wasn't sticking my head in there when it was running. Set the existing pointer to tdc. Went underneath and fabricated and attached another pointer to the eng. Then Marked harmonic balancer with a punch and some white paint. Used a advancing timing light to set the timing.

ArdWrknTrk 08-30-2014 04:42 PM

You can buy a timing tape for the 7" diameter of the balancer if you need to do this.
At least then you have a full set of marks.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...m-161588_w.jpg

FarmallCub 09-23-2017 08:55 AM

Confused

I was searching through the archives and came across this thread. I read it and I still can't seem to get my timing set up correctly. I am experiencing the same issue with my 460 in my 1990 F350 4x4. It seems to lack power compared to what a 460 should have. I currently have the timing set at 12 degrees. When I unplug the connector that runs to the distributer, the engine dies. I have a F250 also with the 460 and when I unplugged that truck to adjust the timing it runs without that connector. What am I doing wrong? Please assist.