Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   a new sound. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1269394-a-new-sound.html)

HillBillyBuddha 09-23-2013 11:11 PM

a new sound.

About 4 or 6 weeks ago my truck started making a squeaking / chirping sound. At first I was concerned that I had blown a bearing but I became less convinced as I drove it around. But it is an annoying sound that I'd like to find and fix so I was hoping there might be some suggestions on tracking down the sound.

Here's what I can tell you about it. It only chirps / squeaks while my foot is on the gas, if I take my foot off the gas, the sound immediately stops regardless of speed. Speed doesn't seem effect the sound / pitch of the squeak. The squeak isn't always there but it only happens when my foot is on the gas. I occasionally think the sound comes from under the cab rather then the engine bay.

Any ideas?
Hillbillybuddha

Jklnhyd 09-23-2013 11:20 PM

Lol, im searching that exact same thing. Except mine is around 20 mph, and seems speed associated; i slow down, it slows down. Im staying home tomorrow, which i cant afford, to try and figure it out. I was reading my Chiltons, maybe my tranny fluid or band adjustment? Idk

tinman52 09-24-2013 07:41 AM

I would check your U joints first......

old broke prospector 09-24-2013 08:39 AM

I would be thinking torque related, when under load or accelerating, the engine will torque and that very slight movement may be causing something to rub or wear. Sadly it can be anything.

Use a cell phone in a plastic bag, tape it in the engine compartment, call another phone and listen on that phone for the sound as you drive, then test the tranny, then the rear end. It may be better to jack up the rear wheels and do the test in the drive way to reduce the road noise.

Of course it could be grimlins in the gas tank complaining that you are draining their food supply.

HillBillyBuddha 09-24-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the phone idea, but might not need it if I just Jack up the back end.
I'll check my U joints too
JkInHyd, hope you figure your issue out.

The Masked Rider 09-26-2013 12:27 AM

"chirping sound" Are you sure its not a tiny exhaust leak.

HillBillyBuddha 09-26-2013 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Masked Rider (Post 13567020)
"chirping sound" Are you sure its not a tiny exhaust leak.

There's nothing tiny about my exhaust leak. I can almost get my fist into that "leak" It's part of my "to do" list. On that note, I found a pair of hooker headers at the junk yard today.

Jklnhyd 10-09-2013 06:47 PM

I replaced the u joints on my rear drive shaft and the problem is gone. I actually had climbed under before and pushed and pulled, and saw no sloppiness, but when i actually removed em, they were already dried out and destroyed.