Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1991 5.8 Timing Chain Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1267308-1991-5-8-timing-chain-replacement.html)

DBGrif91 09-12-2013 05:33 PM

1991 5.8 Timing Chain Replacement

So I'm going to tackle replacing the timing chain on my pickup this weekend. With 170k and, to my knowledge, the original timing chain, it's time to git'r'done.

If anybody has any tips, tricks, suggestions to make the process easier, I'm all ears. And if you can tell me what I'm missing from this list, I'd appreciate it, because I won't be able to get to the parts store once the truck is apart.

-Pan for catching antifreeze
-Water pump gaskets
-Timing chain cover gasket
-Timing chain
-Puller/installer for crank pulley/harmonic balancer
-Antisieze
-Threadlocker

I'm wondering if I should purchase new bolts for the water pump? When I replaced it last year, the bolts were in good shape, but it's tough to say what condition they're in now.

As always, thank you. :-drink

BenS77 09-12-2013 08:22 PM

I just did the same job on my truck. Since you've done the water pump already, this should be pretty easy.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a second bucket to catch antifreeze as it comes out. I think I put 3.5 gallons back in it so there's a lot in there!

impish 09-12-2013 10:12 PM

Have some RTV silicone rubber handy, in case of difficulty re-sealing the bottom front edge of the timing cover to the oil pan below it. Also, if memory serves, there is a semicircular rubber seal which mates between the pan and timing cover. impish

DBGrif91 09-13-2013 03:53 PM

Thanks guys. This is my first timing chain job on any vehicle, so it's gonna be a learning experience as I go. Instead of just the chain, I'm gonna get a "timing kit" that includes the sprockets as well b/c it isn't that much more expensive.

DBGrif91 09-14-2013 04:56 PM

Well, so far so good. The engine has come apart pretty easily, probably due mostly to my replacing the water pump last year. I got the timing cover off, though. It does look like the chain and sprockets were replaced before, but even if the PO kept up on the maintenance for them, they're still in need of service now, as I've put 50k on the truck since I've owned it.

I called it a day once I got the cover off. I left the chain, sprockets, and distributor in place for tonight and I'll finish up tomorrow.

Is there anything I should take a close look at while I have the motor this far apart?

Thanks.

BenS77 09-15-2013 06:15 AM

You can replace the front main seal now also. Just get a large socket and drive it out of the cover. My truck had 160k on it and this seal was pretty leaky. I think it was was about $9-10 at advance.

DBGrif91 09-15-2013 12:55 PM

Yeah I'm gonna replace that seal as well. I didn't originally plan to, but having it apart, it looks like it has been leaking for a while.

Thanks.