Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Issues with Red Head boxes or not? A discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1266244-issues-with-red-head-boxes-or-not-a-discussion.html)

sammie0126 04-14-2014 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lance Helmert (Post 14256299)
So with no new posts I'm assuming the new box is working good? Hope it is. Would you buy another one? Thanks for all your helpful threads.

Yes it's working fine, no other issues with it or pump failures.

rowekmr 04-15-2014 03:53 PM

Thanks for the input I followed this thread and can see one that had problems. What type of problems have other RedHead owners had? Is the general consensus that these are good just have a few bad one every now and then? Or is it better to get a Ford Reman?

sammie0126 04-16-2014 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by rowekmr (Post 14264216)
Thanks for the input I followed this thread and can see one that had problems. What type of problems have other RedHead owners had? Is the general consensus that these are good just have a few bad one every now and then? Or is it better to get a Ford Reman?

You will get many opinions on that question mine is...

1. A reman is a reman and always carries a risk that the reman was not done properly.

2. The steering boxes for these trucks (OEM from the factory) in my opinion were not sufficient to handle the needs of an EX. Some have made it 100k plus without issue but a large majority have not.

3. Based on #1 and #2 I would not install a Ford Reman, therefore I went with Redhead. I did have a loose valve in mine and had to have it warranty replaced. You run that risk with any part, which is why the most important step in deciding is "what's the warranty".

EXv10 04-16-2014 11:33 AM

Reman or rebuilt, less money, same thing. Redhead claims to bore for needle bearings but it's only to salvage worn out cases that were originally shaft to case (no original bushings) so that could be one out of 500. This is a discussion right?

Bigpipes 35 04-16-2014 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 14266681)
Reman or rebuilt, less money, same thing. Redhead claims to bore for needle bearings but it's only to salvage worn out cases that were originally shaft to case (no original bushings) so that could be one out of 500. This is a discussion right?

Yes it is a discussion now can you post proof that they only bore out 1 in 500 steering boxes or is this Brent logic at work ?

Bigpipes 35 04-16-2014 12:39 PM

This is off their website and while the Ford boxes came from the factory with needle bearings a lot of the older boxes didn't, They do size every box with over size ball bearings to take out all play in the box.

Red-Head Steering Gears Re-manufacturing Process
• Machining out the housings and installing needle bearings

•Flame-spraying or replacing the shafts as needed Installing new control valves on some applications

•Custom fitting each worm & piston assembly with special ordered, precise over-sized ball bearings.

Bigpipes 35 04-16-2014 12:46 PM

Here is what they do on a A1 Cardone, no wonder they call them a spray and pray..:-hair:-hair

100% computerized hydraulic testing measures for proper flow, leakage and performance to ensure perfect fit and function.
• 100% new o-rings and lip seals ensure no leaking and long-lasting performance.
• All critical components (campacs, spool valves, etc.) are triple-tested to ensure product reliability.
• Rust inhibitive "Cool Dip" finish is a penetrating dye that completely covers all exposed surfaces for a consistent, protective finish that will not crack, flake or peel.
• Shafts are surfaced to precise specifications to eliminate premature seal wear and extend gear life.
• Units are supplied with 100% tested and calibrated pressure relief valves for guaranteed performance

mecdac 04-16-2014 12:46 PM

Been looking at these Redhead steering boxes for a while...subscribing.

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=crickets

Bigpipes 35 04-16-2014 12:52 PM

Here is the rebuilt process from another cheap auto parts rebuilder..

•Internal components are inspected for wear and replaced if necessary
•Gear boxes are factory pre-set to OE specifications
•New OE quality O-rings & seal packs provide leak proof installation
•Input and output shafts are inspected and replaced when necessary to ensure quality and performance
•Mounting threads are cleaned and hand chased for easy installation

Wow,Good thing they clean them threads..

RigTrash601 04-16-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 14266925)

•Input and output shafts are inspected and replaced when necessary to ensure quality and performance

So basically they clean them up, jury rig any minor leaks, and send them on their way. ( I love all "when necessary's" there are).

EXv10 04-16-2014 01:21 PM

Read between the lines. I'll be back tonite............busy
(if they don't start deleting everything)

EXv10 04-16-2014 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 14266824)
Yes it is a discussion now can you post proof that they only bore out 1 in 500 steering boxes or is this Brent logic at work ?

It's just the cases that don't originally have any bushings, worn out, and that they think are worth saving so that isn't going to amount to many at all. It just saves them a little money.

EXv10 04-16-2014 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 14266872)
This is off their website and while the Ford boxes came from the factory with needle bearings a lot of the older boxes didn't, They do size every box with over size ball bearings to take out all play in the box.

Red-Head Steering Gears Re-manufacturing Process
• Machining out the housings and installing needle bearings

•Flame-spraying or replacing the shafts as needed Installing new control valves on some applications

•Custom fitting each worm & piston assembly with special ordered, precise over-sized ball bearings.

>Nope, it said needle bearings when needed on worn out non bushing cases.

>Yes everybody fixes or replaces things that are needed.

>You have to either grind the steering worm and install bigger balls or replace it. (special ordered precise bigger balls) ......no way around it unless you want to make a steering worm which ain't gonna happen.

EXv10 04-16-2014 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 14266904)
Here is what they do on a A1 Cardone, no wonder they call them a spray and pray..:-hair:-hair

100% computerized hydraulic testing measures for proper flow, leakage and performance to ensure perfect fit and function.
• 100% new o-rings and lip seals ensure no leaking and long-lasting performance.
• All critical components (campacs, spool valves, etc.) are triple-tested to ensure product reliability.
• Rust inhibitive "Cool Dip" finish is a penetrating dye that completely covers all exposed surfaces for a consistent, protective finish that will not crack, flake or peel.
• Shafts are surfaced to precise specifications to eliminate premature seal wear and extend gear life.
• Units are supplied with 100% tested and calibrated pressure relief valves for guaranteed performance

Looks like they use hype too but you really have to read between the lines unless you have worked at all these places. Triple tested?.......come on.

EXv10 04-16-2014 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bigpipes 35 (Post 14266925)

This is more down to earth but again; they all do pretty much the same thing and nobody is making any new parts or doing anything that will cost them more money unless their quality is taking a hit. It really boils down to who has the best reputation and the longest and best warranty. Isn't Red Heads' just one year?
I'm glad they cleaned the threads........lol, but they "say" they chase them to which others may or may not do. (we will never know).