Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Fuel treatments? Whats the best for Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1265406-fuel-treatments-whats-the-best-for-diesel.html)

d450heavy 09-02-2013 09:59 PM

Fuel treatments? Whats the best for Diesel

I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 L that seems to only run well when I use a fuel treatment. truck has about 145,000 miles on it and when I run straight right out of the pump diesel It runs sluggish and my mileage drops a bit.

Also Has anyone heard of or use a product called REV-X?
Its not available where I live but I have heard it works great on the ford 6.0
Any feedback would be great!
Lots of fuel treatments out there but some seem like nothing more than a waste of money.
I have been using
Diesel Kleen and Stynadyne with good luck. but looking for something that will help the motor better if there is anything?

CPB1 09-02-2013 10:26 PM

Where do you live, if you don't mind me asking.

A lot of guys run the Diesel Kleen. I run it in every tank. I have never heard of performance issues without it though. You may want to keep an eye on your FICM.

The Rev-X goes into the oil and is supposed to help keep the injector from sticking. I can't say it works or does not work but, never heard of it hurting anything.

d450heavy 09-02-2013 10:43 PM

I live in Oregon, so far only one guy who works at a Napa Store said he has heard of REV-X, best I can find its not really used here? Seems to be a Midwest item.
Reason I ask about the REV-X Is my injectors seem really noisy. I changed the oil to synthetic but now they actually seem louder. I heard the REV-X is suppose to really help the oil and quiet the injectors?

Also the FICM Is something I'm a little worried about, every so often I have to push a connector back in to get truck to start after a long hot drive. Actually left me and my son stranded today high up in the woods, no cell phone coverage and no people around we got a bit nervous. Luckily the Ford gods heard us and we got started and headed for home!

daddykitty 09-03-2013 12:36 AM

i use archoil 9100 for oil and 6200 for fuel. much cheaper than rev-x

69cj 09-03-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by d450heavy (Post 13496490)
I live in Oregon, so far only one guy who works at a Napa Store said he has heard of REV-X, best I can find its not really used here? Seems to be a Midwest item.
Reason I ask about the REV-X Is my injectors seem really noisy. I changed the oil to synthetic but now they actually seem louder. I heard the REV-X is suppose to really help the oil and quiet the injectors?

Also the FICM Is something I'm a little worried about, every so often I have to push a connector back in to get truck to start after a long hot drive. Actually left me and my son stranded today high up in the woods, no cell phone coverage and no people around we got a bit nervous. Luckily the Ford gods heard us and we got started and headed for home!

If the locking tabs are broke use a ty-rap to keep it plugged in. Some of the connectors require a good deal of pressure to lock.

jswartz84 09-03-2013 09:48 AM

I run Motorcraft's Diesel Cetane Boost and works well for me.

bcfarmer 09-03-2013 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by daddykitty (Post 13496657)

This is what I use as well. I think it works good.

skidooman1990 09-03-2013 11:19 AM

Run High sulfur and you won't need any additive. :D

04badford 09-03-2013 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by d450heavy (Post 13496347)
I have a 2006 Ford 6.0 L that seems to only run well when I use a fuel treatment. truck has about 145,000 miles on it and when I run straight right out of the pump diesel It runs sluggish and my mileage drops a bit.

Also Has anyone heard of or use a product called REV-X?
Its not available where I live but I have heard it works great on the ford 6.0
Any feedback would be great!
Lots of fuel treatments out there but some seem like nothing more than a waste of money.
I have been using
Diesel Kleen and Stynadyne with good luck. but looking for something that will help the motor better if there is anything?

X2 on the Stynadyne it works real well, also I had a stiction issue ran a 4oz of Revx done deal my truck even starts and runs a lot smoother, Riff raff diesel products will have it and They also carry OEM parts for a lot less:-X22

PattonC222 09-03-2013 04:18 PM

You guys have any thoughts on marine 2 stroke oil in your fuel? Have a friend that swears but it he runs it in every tank of his dmax.

diesel_dan 09-03-2013 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by daddykitty (Post 13496657)

I've been running diesel kleen (silver) but before that redline. I think Mark (bismic) runs your combo too. Where are you getting it at? I do think the engine runs better with additive and in CA we usually have consistent cetane at the pump...

d450heavy 09-03-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. Also good to Hear someone has used REV-X with positive benefits.
I have at times put both Diesel Kleen and Stynadyne in together, did give me much better throttle response and a tiny bit better MPG's,
I have a friend who swears by the combo of Marvels mystery oil and Stynadyne together. He pushing 250k on his 7.3 and still going strong.

I'm going to order some REV-X tonight and see if it helps my noisy injectors and hard starts hot problem! I let you all know how it works.

mustang_309 09-03-2013 05:15 PM

What weight of engine oil are you running? If you are running 15W-40 try switching to a full synthetic 5W-40, your injectors will thank you. :-X22
I am also a motorcraft cetane boost user.

69cj 09-03-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by d450heavy (Post 13498441)
Thanks for all the great advice. Also good to Hear someone has used REV-X with positive benefits.
I have at times put both Diesel Kleen and Stynadyne in together, did give me much better throttle response and a tiny bit better MPG's,
I have a friend who swears by the combo of Marvels mystery oil and Stynadyne together. He pushing 250k on his 7.3 and still going strong.

I'm going to order some REV-X tonight and see if it helps my noisy injectors and hard starts hot problem! I let you all know how it works.

The 7.3 has an entirely diff. fuel delivery system than the 6.0. Be careful of the cocktails you put into the 6.0. It is very sensitive to the wrong mix.

d450heavy 09-03-2013 05:50 PM

I am running the Rotella 10-30 diesel blend synthetic now, changed the oil about a month ago and now get about 3 miles per gallon more. I drive a lot about 1000 to 1500 miles a week so I am thinking about changing the oil again this weekend and this time using Full Synthetic 5-30 and see if the injectors and hot starts go away. Also will be adding the REV-X to see if it helps the injectors.

I also have heard a few guys using Marine 2 stroke in their trucks. Seems risky but I am new to the whole world of fuel additive thing.

In Oregon we cant get anything but low sulfur Diesel. Not sure of the Cetene rating. We unfortunately live in a state where 90% the people live in one small area and they in turn make the laws and rules for the entire state. And they prefer to ride their bikes to work or drive their smart car. Wear I live everybody drives a truck and most people don't even go visit the towns were the laws are written, so if really doesn't help us out at all.

Any advice on the best Oil to run in the 6.0L manufacture and Weight going into winter? Also how often do you all add the fuel additives, Every fill up?