Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   How would/does Ford look upon a aftermarket fuel filter system & warranty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1265322-how-would-does-ford-look-upon-a-aftermarket-fuel-filter-system-and-warranty.html)

jonrjen 09-04-2013 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by RobFlag (Post 13499509)
I'd suggest that asking "your" dealer, might not be very helpful since most of us tend to put some long distance miles on these trucks. You'll never know where the failure occurs and having your home dealer give you a verbal won't really carry much weight anywhere else (or maybe even a week later at your dealer).

Use an additive, drain monthly, enjoy!

I can agree with this point of view. After all Murphy's Law dictates that it will be at the most inopportune time. Like on the side of the road in a Texas blizzard while I'm wearing shorts because I didn't watch the weather forecast that morning. And to make it worse I don't have either a screwdriver or wrench in the tool box for removing the added fuel filter system.

I think I will remain stock as stock can be and stay well on top of the maintenance issues.

After all as the ole saying says "you gotta pay to play". In this case I'll stay and pray in stock configuration.

n3hcp 09-04-2013 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by jonrjen (Post 13500151)
I can agree with this point of view. After all Murphy's Law dictates that it will be at the most inopportune time. Like on the side of the road in a Texas blizzard while I'm wearing shorts because I didn't watch the weather forecast that morning. And to make it worse I don't have either a screwdriver or wrench in the tool box for removing the added fuel filter system.

I think I will remain stock as stock can be and stay well on top of the maintenance issues.

After all as the ole saying says "you gotta pay to play". In this case I'll stay and pray in stock configuration.

That's why I carry an empty cat litter bucket filled with a tyvec suit, flashlight, and all the tools and other stuff to remove the filter along the highway in Texas or where ever under most any adverse conditions. Semper paratus!! :-drink

mrjc 09-04-2013 10:57 PM

You asked how does ford view.....well ask them. Asking your dealer / Diesel tech is nothing more than seeking advice from folks who will fix your modified vehicle. There is wisdom in getting an opinion from them if you want to do something to your vehicle while under warranty. You paid them a lot of coin for your vehicle and the tech can at least tell you in general terms how they view mods. I think it is as important as reading the owner manual. I took a Baldwin filter I wanted to install in my 6.0 under warranty to filter out sand from the coolant to the dealer. He said it was a darn good idea and not a problem. What is the big deal about seeking opinions from the people who decide to bill you or cover it. Your salesperson would even take you back to the tech and may listen in and learn something. he might even tell you something about your filter mod idea that you could come back here and tell us about. We would love to read a thread about what you found out from them. Your fuel issues, I believe, are diminished by preforming routine maint on your truck per the schedules in the manual and also adding a good additive and draining the DFCM. Drain into a glass jar and let it sit and see for yourself if you get any water. That exercise alone will comfort your concerns. If you see a trend with what you believe is a large amount of water, then be thankful the DFCM is doing its job and then if you drop 700 bills on an additional filter you spent it wisely. I myself have not seen a drop of water in 13K miles draining monthly. Others who have posted indicate water is half of thier sample. I got scared reading stuff in the 6.0L forum when I bought my first diesel. But I talked sense into myself and didn't go out and spend my kids collage funds on what if scenarios. I traded it in on my 2012 and only had 1 issue with it which was covered under warranty so I saved a bunch of moola. Each of us here do maint as per the book or more often than indicated. I change my oil earlier than the truck wants it done. No harm there. After reading lots of stuff on filters, the general consensus here and on the other guys website is that the FoMoCO air and fuel and oil filters are extremely efficient so I stick to those. Buy a strap type wrench for taking your DFCM bowl off or you will break the bowl using the built in nut. Examine the bottom of the filter housing for dirt etc crack open your filter pleats and look for stuff and then report back here what you see. All your input will help us.