Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   1976 Ford F100 steering box (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1264104-1976-ford-f100-steering-box.html)

dyoungen 08-27-2013 10:14 AM

1976 Ford F100 steering box

I"m working on my sons 1976 F100 Explorer. The steering box was seeping just slightly till I replaced the rag connection on the steering column and now it's a full blown leak coming out of the input shaft. What's the best way to fix the leak? Is replacing the seal workable? Can it be done in the truck or would I have to pull the steering box to work on it? It looks like there are 4 bolts that hold the cover on so can I just remove the 4 bolts and pull the cover or is there something inside that needs lined up? Or worst case will I need to just replace the whole steering box? I don't mind getting dirty and money is short so I"m trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to fix this. Any ideas out there?

mikeo0o0o0 08-27-2013 10:39 AM

I'm assuming its power steering 2WD, correct?
First, DON'T try to take the steering gear apart! You'll regret it very quickly!
Yes, the steering shaft seal can be replaced without disassembly. It can be done in place but is easier out of the truck.
First, pull the steering column which is fairly easy. Remove the rag joint from the steering shaft.
The first "seal" you see is actually a dust shield. This is pressed on. To remove it take a small, sharp center punch and pierce the seal. Screw in a short sheet metal screw and pry it out.
Once that's removed you'll see a snap ring. Remove the snap ring and repeat the punch/screw routine to pry out the seal, it might be easier to use two screws 180 degrees apart.
I use a deep socket to install the new seal then install the snap ring and then the dust shield.
If you do eventually replace the steering gear, do yourself a big favor....two words, Red Head. Avoid the chain store rebuilts, they are a crap shoot at best. Red-Head Steering Gears - Custom Rebuilt Steering Gear Boxes in USA Their price is competitive with the chain stores, I sent them mine to be rebuilt, it ran $226.00 plus the UPS charges. You can have them ship you one of theirs and return yours as a core too.

dyoungen 08-27-2013 10:48 AM

1976 F100 steering box

Sorry I didn't fill in the information I should have like the make, model etc. It is a 1976 F100 that originally had a 360 but after locking it up now has a 300 six. It is a 2WD and not lifted and is power steering. I always wonder about people not putting in the info and what did I do? The same, not enough info. Sorry bout that:(

mikeo0o0o0 08-27-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by dyoungen (Post 13475877)
Sorry I didn't fill in the information I should have like the make, model etc. It is a 1976 F100 that originally had a 360 but after locking it up now has a 300 six. It is a 2WD and not lifted and is power steering. I always wonder about people not putting in the info and what did I do? The same, not enough info. Sorry bout that:(

No problem, that's actually easy to do. You're right there looking at it and know what it is. The details get forgotten.

NumberDummy 08-27-2013 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
F3AZ-3E502-A (replaced D7AZ-3E502-A - D3AZ-3E502-A; C5AZ-3C538-A) .. Ford Integral P/S Input Shaft Seal Kit / Available from Ford

Applications: Myriad 1965/2002 FoMoCo vehicles.

dyoungen 08-30-2013 12:34 PM

Well after I cross referanced the numbers off the old seal talked to the local ford dealership and it would be the middle of next week before they could get the seal in. Checked another local dealership and they couldn't even find the seal listed. Checked the local NAPA dealer and they had one in stock so I just finished removing and replacing the seal and dust cover. I"m glad I didn't remove the end of the powersteering box because I looked down inside and all I saw was needlebearings, big needlbearings. Thanks guys you saved me some big headachs not to mention big money.

mikeo0o0o0 08-31-2013 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by dyoungen (Post 13486444)
I"m glad I didn't remove the end of the powersteering box because I looked down inside and all I saw was needlebearings, big needlbearings. Thanks guys you saved me some big headachs not to mention big money.

Glad it all worked out for you. :-X22
If you had taken the gear apart it would have been worse. This is called a "recirculating ball" type steering gear and what would have happened if you had taken the 4 bolts out and pulled the input shaft out is all those little balls would have gone all over the place. You have to get them back in just the right position or bad things happen, like the steering gear locking up while making a turn.

dyoungen 08-31-2013 09:06 PM

Like I said before, I"m glad everybody here helped me see the error of my ways or at least told me what NOT what not to do. What did we do before the internet? If you all hadn't stopped me from taking the steering box apart I"d have a box full of bearings and that wouldn't have been pretty.:)