Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   M50D to a ZF5 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1264056-m50d-to-a-zf5.html)

Swoop03 08-27-2013 01:08 AM

M50D to a ZF5

I have an 88 F250, 302 4x4 with the light duty 5 speed. I really would like to swap over to a Zf5 tranny. The mazda's gears paired up with 3.55's is just to steep for a truck in my opinion.

Assume that I have nothing but the ZF5 and Transfercase. Nothing more.
I'm looking for a list of parts I'd need to bolt the zf up to my 302. I found one from a 351w and to my understanding the bellhousing pattern is the same. The only problem is that I only found the tranny and transfercase. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything else with it. I'm waiting on a reply for that.

So is my flywheel, clutch and splines and all that the same as the ones used on the ZF? I know I will need the drive shafts and I can get them without a problem. What about a slave cylinder? The mazda has an internal one, what will I need to do for the ZF setup? Will my crossmember work? Tell me everything I need to know. I haven't been able to find enough information to satisfy me on the internet so far. Also if I happen to need parts for the zf do any of yinz know a good place to go and order them when the time comes?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Daniel5.0 08-27-2013 01:48 PM

Mostly subscribing, but I have a couple things to add.

Overdrive is actually a higher gear with the ZF. All others are, indeed, lower.

My guy at NAPA was not able to get me bearings and seals through his normal channels. He had to special order from a local transmission shop. If you know of a good shop, you may want to go directly there. The kit I ended up with is a Motive Gear T300ZRA.

pfogle 08-28-2013 04:57 PM

The bearings should be the same as the 351, the flywheel will be different as it has a different balance weight. Use the clutch and all related parts for the 351 truck.

EPNCSU2006 08-29-2013 04:36 AM

The clutches are the same. I re-used the original 302 clutch (and flywheel) in my truck when I swapped in the ZF.

I don't know if the slave cylinder/release bearing is the same as the one on the Mazda or not, but it's not a bad idea to install a new Motorcraft slave cylinder while the transmission is out and the slave is easy to get to.

I only have experience with a 4x2 ZF, but I have read on here that the difference in length between the 4x4 Mazda and 4x4 ZF that you can re-use your original dirveshafts. The crossmember is the same as far as I know.

Swoop03 09-19-2013 01:09 AM

Thanks, i don't have the tranny, i never got a hold of the guy and the add is gone now but the information is still here. Thatll be a later swap anyways. While i got the tranny out ill probably go over the frame with a wire wheel and paint it or treat it somehow, have a custom exhaust welded up, i know a guy that has good prices, and whatever else i decide later on. So far my mazda is holding up to my work truck despite all the negativity i hear about them. It gives me a noise here and there and will act funny per say. But it still works. Ill be checking the fluid this weekend.