Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Need rear pads and rotors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1264045-need-rear-pads-and-rotors.html)

Apocalypse 08-26-2013 10:58 PM

Need rear pads and rotors

Ok, so I did my fronts a few months back and I think I went with the hawk LTS and just plain summit racing rotors. Any recommendations on the rear as far as rotor brands or pads? By the way the brake dust from the front pads is insane! Seems like I'm constantly cleaning my wheels not that it's that hard :)

EXv10 08-26-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 13474751)
Ok, so I did my fronts a few months back and I think I went with the hawk LTS and just plain summit racing rotors. Any recommendations on the rear as far as rotor brands or pads? By the way the brake dust from the front pads is insane! Seems like I'm constantly cleaning my wheels not that it's that hard :)

I'm wondering if high friction pads produce more brake dust and wear faster. That would be a trade off but worth it to some. My cheap pads don't produce any noticeable dust and stop fine but I only tow 1,000 pounds.

Stewart_H 08-26-2013 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 13474751)
Any recommendations on the rear as far as rotor brands or pads?

For rears, I usually get a set of quality Centric rotors and a good set of NAPA house brand pads.

Stewart

EXv10 08-27-2013 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 13474852)
For rears, I usually get a set of quality Centric rotors and a good set of NAPA house brand pads.

Stewart

I'm shocked, I thought you would be getting the super duper pads costing $75 apiece like everyone else in here that seems to think they need.
We might be on the same page after all.

Apocalypse 08-27-2013 09:37 AM

Looks like I'm headed to napa ;) Where do you get your rotors from?

Magnus E 08-27-2013 12:10 PM

I always thought it best to match front and rear. With high friction fronts I would personally also go with high friction rears to ensure balance.

EXv10 08-27-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Magnus E (Post 13476182)
I always thought it best to match front and rear. With high friction fronts I would personally also go with high friction rears to ensure balance.

What for, the fronts would just have a little more stopping power, they don't lock up anyway.

Magnus E 08-27-2013 01:04 PM

Well worse would be if the rears lock up before the fronts. If it where me, I would chose to keep the brake balance front to rear as it allows for a more balanced vehicle during hard stops. With high friction front and low friction rear you're asking the front axle to do more work while allowing the rear axle to do less. But I base all my judgement from my experience on the race track, not from heavy duty trucks. Brake balance is important to me but probably not for many others.

Stewart_H 08-27-2013 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by EXv10 (Post 13474945)
I'm shocked, I thought you would be getting the super duper pads costing $75 apiece like everyone else in here that seems to think they need.

Not for the rears.

With a vast majority the stopping power being in the front brakes, any good quality rear brake setup will do fine for me.

We might be on the same page after all.
I should be a lot more frugal, Brent, I really should.

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 13475659)

I find the cheapest price online for the Centric rotors for my application.

Stewart

LivingLarge 08-27-2013 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 13475659)

Hey brother, don't forget to wear your discount hat:-X22

Romanova 08-27-2013 10:24 PM

If you get rear rotors from the Internet, order from Amazon so you get free shipping. I was going to get mine (Centric) from Rock Auto but the shipping was horrendous. Got the same rotors from Amazon with free shipping. Only thing was that they came from two different warehouses so it took a few extra days to get the second one.

I recommend Centric brake products... been using there stuff for awhile and never had any issues... pads, rotors, hardware kits, calipers... all good stuff.

EXv10 08-27-2013 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by LivingLarge (Post 13477141)
Hey brother, don't forget to wear your discount hat:-X22

That's a "get parts free" hat.:)