Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Fuel Guage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261174-fuel-guage.html)

bubbasz1 08-12-2013 08:37 PM

Fuel Guage

I stopped for gas today, threw in a quick 25 bucks to get me by a couple of days, fuel gauge doesn't move, also I get 85miles to E. Hmmm, so a couple of hours later I run up to the grocery store and it's 122 miles to E and maybe the gauge moved a little. A couple hours later off to the post office to pick up an package(stuffed envelope) that our lazy postman couldn't bring herself to put in the mail box and it reads 165 miles to empty. Anybody else ever have this happen, usually it snaps right to where the gauge should be and today it's
being lazy.(like my postman)

senix 08-12-2013 08:40 PM

I did one time. Not sure why it did that either. Has not since.

RM2738 08-12-2013 10:03 PM

Anytime I'm low, I get similar readings. Not as drastic. Yesterday I pulled out of the driveway and the dreaded 50 Miles til Empty appeared, stopped at the gas station two miles down the road, didn't fill up because tanker was there, grabbed coffee and message was gone. Drove at least 25 more miles before message popped back up.

bubbasz1 08-13-2013 04:40 AM

Little by little it goes up, this morning it was at 173 miles to empty and It only went down 3 miles on a 13 mile trip. :)

RM2738 08-13-2013 07:34 AM

Any chance your driveway has a steep slope to it?

FordService 08-13-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 13430331)
I stopped for gas today, threw in a quick 25 bucks to get me by a couple of days, fuel gauge doesn't move, also I get 85miles to E. Hmmm, so a couple of hours later I run up to the grocery store and it's 122 miles to E and maybe the gauge moved a little. A couple hours later off to the post office to pick up an package(stuffed envelope) that our lazy postman couldn't bring herself to put in the mail box and it reads 165 miles to empty...

Hi bubbasz1,

You can always bring your truck in to the dealership to see if they can "wake up" your lazy gas gauge. I know they'll be happy to get to the bottom of this for you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, shoot a PM my way! :)

Crystal

RM2738 08-13-2013 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 13431380)
Hi bubbasz1,

You can always bring your truck in to the dealership to see if they can "wake up" your lazy gas gauge. I know they'll be happy to get to the bottom of this for you. If you have any additional questions or concerns, shoot a PM my way! :)

Crystal

At $125 an hour to troubleshoot, I'm sure they will be more than happy. ;)

Try disconnecting the batteries for 15-20 minutes first. That's kind of a soft reset for the trucks computers.

bubbasz1 08-13-2013 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by FordService (Post 13431380)
Hi bubbasz1,

Crystal

I appreciate the offer for help but I'm a hands on kinda guy, the dealer only see's my truck for warranty or body work, other than that I'll take care of it.

SANDDEMON08 08-13-2013 09:46 AM

I had a similar issue that lead to the fuel sender being changed in the tank, my truck is an early job 1 and apparently they had updated the sending unit due to similar issues. Not sure if this is your problem but it cured my issue.

bubbasz1 08-13-2013 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the replies, we'll see what happens in the next day or two.

bubbasz1 08-13-2013 04:31 PM

Well I was at 189 when I left work. Im not too worried about it but we'll keep an eye on it.

FordService 08-14-2013 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by bubbasz1 (Post 13431407)
I appreciate the offer for help but I'm a hands on kinda guy, the dealer only see's my truck for warranty or body work, other than that I'll take care of it.

No problem, bubbasz1! I'll be here if you need any assistance in the future. :-X22

Crystal

22eco 03-13-2016 11:30 PM

Im having this same issue right now. But I replaced the sending unit and it worked for about a month and now this issue is back. Any hint as to what mat be causing this.
My gauge will also shoot to E and stay there for a while then go back up. but it never goes past 3/4 even after I just filled up. I have just been putting fuel in every 300 miles and im only putting in like 17-18 gal after 300 miles.

I tossed the old sending unit out. I want to put a resistor in to mock a 1/2 tank but I cant remember the resistance on full. I want to say it was somwhere around 180 ohms ? can any one confirm this.

farmerrig 03-24-2016 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 22eco (Post 16123488)
Im having this same issue right now. But I replaced the sending unit and it worked for about a month and now this issue is back. Any hint as to what mat be causing this.
My gauge will also shoot to E and stay there for a while then go back up. but it never goes past 3/4 even after I just filled up. I have just been putting fuel in every 300 miles and im only putting in like 17-18 gal after 300 miles.

I tossed the old sending unit out. I want to put a resistor in to mock a 1/2 tank but I cant remember the resistance on full. I want to say it was somwhere around 180 ohms ? can any one confirm this.

Ive had the same issue with mine. The wires off the fuel sender run into a harness and up by the motor just above the framerail it runs into 3 plugs. I wiggled them and fuel gauge worked ok for a day or so then read nothing. Thunking i had a bad connection there i pulled all the plugs apart and cleaned them. Same thing gauge worked for a day or two then nothing. Does anyone know what wire number or pin number is for the fuel sender on those plugs so i can just run a new wire from the tank and bypass the plug? Nothing really looked dirty or corroded when i pulled the plugs apart.

Tractionless 07-19-2017 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 22eco (Post 16123488)

Originally Posted by farmerrig (Post 16152325)
Ive had the same issue with mine. The wires off the fuel sender run into a harness and up by the motor just above the framerail it runs into 3 plugs. I wiggled them and fuel gauge worked ok for a day or so then read nothing. Thunking i had a bad connection there i pulled all the plugs apart and cleaned them. Same thing gauge worked for a day or two then nothing. Does anyone know what wire number or pin number is for the fuel sender on those plugs so i can just run a new wire from the tank and bypass the plug? Nothing really looked dirty or corroded when i pulled the plugs apart.

Just had the same issue yesterday. Read just below 1/2, shot to E (including message ctr.) then back to just below 1/2 so I filled it. Now it doesn't read above 3/4.

Have either of you found the issue?

Thanks for any help you can lend! :-drink
Keith