Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   need advice on my first F-350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1261075-need-advice-on-my-first-f-350-a.html)

stew doug 08-12-2013 12:36 PM

need advice on my first F-350

Hi FTE, I've been lurking on this site over the past year since I decided that the 6.2L F350 is the truck for me. Now I am hoping you folks can give me some advice.

I have a Bigfoot 2500 10.6 truck camper so I need a F-350 with an 8 foot box. But I 'want' the Lariat trim with seating for 6 and the 4.30's. I've been looking on cars.com and autotrader for a 2011 or 2012 but pickings are slim. I've found a few that have come close but when I talk money to these dealers I get the 'we don't negotiate' line even when these trucks are listed 4000$ over the Kelly Blue Book value.

So my questions are:

Should I suck it up and start looking at XL and XLT trims?
Should I pay over the KBB values with these dealers that don't negotiate?
Or buy new and get the truck I want but at a price that might be a little higher than I want to pay?

I've seen the thread to request a PIN code for x plan pricing. If I could get a pin I'm pretty sure I could afford the truck I want but I'm unsure if people are actually getting PIN's from that thread.

Thanks in advance for your help, it's been pretty fustrating wanting this truck pretty badly but striking out so far.

Stew.

Amelio 08-12-2013 01:01 PM

I can not answer about the pin....but imo when you start getting into the $40k range you might as well by new and get exactly what you want:-X06

Clay H 08-12-2013 01:08 PM

I'm interested in this 6.2L you speak of?

2000silverbullet 08-12-2013 02:53 PM

I wouldn't settle for anything less than what I'd want. I'd never be really be happy with my purchase, but that's just me.

You could post up in that thread for a x plan pin when you figure out what you're looking for. Most guys would get access to 2 pins a year (although I'm not sure what's in that forum, never been in there).

ATP Pilot 08-12-2013 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet (Post 13429230)
You could post up in that thread for a x plan pin when you figure out what you're looking for. Most guys would get access to 2 pins a year (although I'm not sure what's in that forum, never been in there).

When I bought my truck and used X plan, they wanted to see some proof that I worked for the company I got the pin under. Just saying some dealers are checking and you can't just use a number. There may be other ways around this.

2000silverbullet 08-12-2013 05:38 PM

My dealer didn't care, didn't ask about any specifics...

saratoga2011 08-12-2013 07:43 PM

Buy new, get exactly what you want and be satisfied, especially when talking that kind of money IMO.

$10k off sticker isn't unheard of depending on the dealer when you're looking at trucks that are loaded. You could probably get a pretty respectable deal on a 350 6.2 if you could find one on a dealer's lot since I'd be willing to bet the majority of F350 Lariats that get sold are 6.7's.

stew doug 08-13-2013 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies folks!

I'm going to go new and get exactly what I want. I'm going to try and get a pin number but otherwise I'll do it the old fashioned way and get some grey hairs negotiating with a dealer :-X19.

Thanks again,

Stew.

snelldawg 08-13-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by stew doug (Post 13432185)
Thanks for the replies folks!

I'm going to go new and get exactly what I want. I'm going to try and get a pin number but otherwise I'll do it the old fashioned way and get some grey hairs negotiating with a dealer :-X19.

Thanks again,

Stew.

Great call...you have a better chance of hitting a huge lottery payout than finding a gas crew with 4.30's and the flip up seat in the front. Nevermind options and colors.

2000silverbullet 08-13-2013 05:31 PM

I shot you an email Stew, let me know if you have any questions.

rvpuller 08-13-2013 09:40 PM

The only way to get a 6.2 decked out is order one, I looked long and hard for one before I ordered ours. Get the Lariat with the Lariat package and you won't want for anything else on the inside of the truck, we also ordered the nav system.

Denny

ccstp 08-14-2013 02:46 AM

Go to your dealer and order exactly what you want. dont buy a left over. I tried going that route and like you experienced, the dealers acted like their 2012 trucks were fresh off the assembly line despite them being 2 model years old and they wouldn't budge on the price. I said I was execting at least 2k under invoice because I was being offered the ability to order a truck built exactly how I wanted for $750 under and this would. I got a no how, no way response from.the dealers so I went and ordered my truck with no issues for $750 under invoice

stew doug 08-14-2013 02:03 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I took cars.com and autotrader off my internet favourites and am going to head in to the dealership next week.

Lot less stress now.

Thanks again!

Stew.

2000silverbullet 08-14-2013 02:41 PM

Download an order guide (they're floating around, post up if you can't find one and I'll upload one) and for the love of all that is holy, when you order, tell the dealer you want a copy of the DORA (dealer order receipt acknowledgment). This has all the details of your truck. Compare it to the order guide, all the codes, etc, make sure it's EXACTLY what you want. If it's wrong, tell the dealer. They have the ability to make changes up until a certain point. You just don't want to find out that after waiting 8 weeks they ordered it incorrectly.

Then call the dealer every Friday and ask for an update. Or you can PM Ford customer service here on FTE and they (Crystal) can give you updates.

stew doug 08-15-2013 11:45 AM

Done and done Matt. Thanks.

I'll let y'all know next week when I pull the trigger.