Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Arizona Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum80/)
-   -   my 1992 F-350 thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1259763-my-1992-f-350-thread.html)

b19gale 08-05-2013 09:24 PM

my 1992 F-350 thread

I have a 92 F350 Crew Cab 2wd with a 351w (5.8l) E4OD and a 10.5" rear diff(4.10?). I bought it cheap with a known tranny issue. Instead of making a different thread every time I trouble shot or add/replace something I will do it all in this thread :-X03 will also get pictures on here as well of components tested and simple version explanations of any testing done on anything. This truck has alot of little stuff with it, and one major issue This may be fun.
Be warned this is going to be a long thread time-wise as I am currently a student looking for work with a wife and 2 kids so money and time is short and hard to come by.

First thing is first, Overdrive...With O/D off transmission works fine with a little late shift feel for 2/3 upshift. However with O/D on 1-3 in the "D" range are not there but manual 1-2 are. If you take off with O/D off and get to 35+mph and hit the O/D switch the truck will go into 4th(o/d)gear.
Tests so far have been:
MLPS/TR and it was out of wack at start, adjusted and its in range now.
Wires from the lever inside the steering column were broke and have been repaired(no pics ever they are ugly fixed o.0) with that came a new switch and retainer clip for switch.
MAP tested and passed
Only code pulled was for MLPS out of range; which has been fixed.
So now to my knowledge the only thing left to check before dropping the tranny for a rebuild is the solenoid pack, and if I don;'t get lucky and that fixes it I will be forced to rebuild a E4OD, which I am sure much to the wifes fears means I will have to buy a tool or twenty :-jammin

Motor wise..need to get some vacuum lines redone - coolant flush(there is some pretty gold flakes in the coolant maybe i struck it rich :-jammin )
I had to install a new cap/rotor/distributor on the side of the freeway to get it home, and when the rotor broke screwing everything up, some how the inertia switch(cant find the dang thing) got triggered, so i currently have a toggle switch hooked up for the fuel pump; which leads to another issue, only the rear tank is on the truck.
Oh, almost forgot, the aftermarket radio in the truck will randomly have no sound to speakers, but if you turn the wiper blades on(you can turn them right back off) the sound comes through o.0 damn shorts...
So thats really all thats up with it, the interior is in remarkably good shape for what was a work truck. I bought this knowing it wasn't perfect and knowing I will have to put some work into it.
I was never a Ford fan growing up, but I am teaching myself to be one. Admittedly I am not a genius no do I know much of anything about this truck/engine/tranny but I am learning. Any suggestions ideas would be great, otherwise sit back and enjoy a few beers between my updates on here

Redneckfordf2502002 08-06-2013 01:59 PM

A 92 Fseires truck has the inertia switch either behind the passanger side kick panel or under the drivers side to the left of the steering column. I know on my 88 F150 and our 89 F250 they are under the column but I believe they moved it in the 92-96 trucks.
Joining this thread. I can't wait to see this thing get going build threads help a bunch I have one for all of our trucks.
Trav

b19gale 08-14-2013 07:43 PM

So, I try to take my time, since I don't have cash to burn I want to make sure I get things right, and look at all possible concerns first. I was doing some homework(atm I am in the A/T portion of the school) and power flow came into my head. I decided to look up a power flow/application chart for the E4OD to look for a pattern with what I am experiancing with my tranny and low and behold I found one. http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadiy...87880/58897877
In O/D the Coast Clutch Solenoid is controlled by the PCM for 1-3(which I do not have when O/D is on) and it is just "Off" when in 4th(o/d). When the Tranny has O/D off the Coast Clutch Solenoid is "On". This is the only portion that has a "pattern" of sorts to match my issue and therefor seems like a good spot to check. There could be an issue with the PCM control of the solenoid, but I believe the clutch itself is in operating condition since I have 1-3(clutch on) with O/D off, and I have 4th(clutch off) with O/D on it functions. So now I must find out how to test the signal to it, I wish it was OBD-II hook up a scan tool and call it a day.
In the end I will probably end up still rebuilding it :(