Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Offroad & 4x4 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum63/)
-   -   PTO Winch questions (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1258707-pto-winch-questions.html)

iggybob44 07-31-2013 02:10 PM

PTO Winch questions

i just recently bought a 76 F250 highboy, its got a 390, C6, 205 T-case with PTO drive and a Koenig Iron works model 524 PTO Winch.......a couple questions, the handwritten note that came with the truck only talks about winching with Tcase in Neutral( truck stationary) and placing tranny in D or R to power in or power out cable, ive owned several PTO winch equipped vehicles with manual trannies and i was able to winch while driving, is this not possible with an auto tranny equipped PTO winch vehicle? im aware of the pitfalls of winching while driving, slack cable and/or shock loads since the winch and wheelspeed wont match. second question, i cant find much info on this much bigger Koenig winch, ive owned the more common 100 series that was common on Jeep and other vehicles 1 ton and under, and had an aluminum case and held 150' of 5/16" and was rated at 8000 lbs.......this one is MUCH bigger, its all steel and iron, and holds over 250' of 3/8" cable.....any idea of its rating?

alpha/omega 07-31-2013 04:07 PM

Twin stick. You'll have to operate in front wheel drive

iggybob44 07-31-2013 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by alpha/omega (Post 13391795)
Twin stick. You'll have to operate in front wheel drive

Huhh? its a stock, single stick NP205 case. ive used it with the truck stationary just to check that its operational, and it is. but i need to know whether i can winch and drive?

tjc transport 07-31-2013 04:52 PM

maybe in 4 low.
not sure, the only PTO winch i ever used was on 56 Willis Jeep with a manual trans

alpha/omega 07-31-2013 04:58 PM

Convert to twin stick.

iggybob44 07-31-2013 05:23 PM

Im not interested in converting anything.......i bought it cheaply, it will be used for stuff like getting firewood, a little fun in the woods, a farm truck.

alpha/omega 07-31-2013 05:37 PM

Well if you want to move forward while winching with an auto you will have to change some stuff over.

iggybob44 07-31-2013 05:51 PM

fair enough, thanks!

Rovernut 08-01-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by iggybob44 (Post 13391434)
...i was able to winch while driving, is this not possible with an auto tranny equipped PTO winch vehicle?

Why would you even want to with a PTO or hydraulic winch? I can't think of any situation where you'd need to. That's a huge part of the appeal of them, you don't need to assist them.

As for capacity, I've no idea, I've also only had the 100 series. I might have an old Koenig catalog here somewhere.
Meanwhile, here's one for sale, you could try calling the person to see if they know.
Koenig Iron Works Power Winch

Or call the mfg. RKI - Commerical Grade Truck Equipment

iggybob44 08-01-2013 12:41 PM

Thanks for forwarding that ad from Corvallis Craigslist.......thats the exact winch ive got...the one for sale looks smaller at first,but thats due to the much larger/wider front bumper mount, im guessing its off of a medium duty truck, not a pickup....i looked at the RKI website, maybe there winches are good, but there website leaves a lot to be desired, or at least it was designed by someone either illiterate or with little English language skills, im questioning whether these winches are Chinese imports? "Aluminum Bronze Worm Gears"? ive never heard of Aluminum Bronze..........By the same token, Tom i appreciate you taking the time to post two relevant items, Thanks.....Bob

Rovernut 08-01-2013 01:09 PM

Aluminum Bronze is a real alloy. :)
Speedy Metals Information for 954 Aluminum Bronze

bigdan1979f-250 08-01-2013 01:34 PM

We cut quite a bit of aluminum bronze where I work. It is pretty tough when compared to a regualar aluminum alloy like 7075. The added alloy gives quite a bit of strength, but I don't have any facts or figures in front of me right now. I wouldn't worry too much about the worm gears not being strong enough.

iggybob44 08-01-2013 10:19 PM

Well, im not too old to learn something new EVERY day.....id never heard of it, but hey, Aluminum Bronze........technology is wonderful.