Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   What Kind of MPG to Expect (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1257127-what-kind-of-mpg-to-expect.html)

El Camino Man 07-23-2013 09:28 AM

What Kind of MPG to Expect

Hey guys. Im looking to upgrade the ol PSD in the very near future. Some upgrades Im thinking about doing are some Rosewood Stage II (or possibly III) injectors, upgrade to a D66 turbo, put a 99-03 intake on it (supposedly better) along with my 6637, some sort of tuner (liking Riffraffs) maybe some up-pipes and hook it all up to my 3" DP to 4" exhaust (of course the trannys next)

I don't think this stuff is too radical but Id still like to stay somewhere in the neighborhood of 16+ mpgs. The only thing that scared me was my brother drove a Cummins pulling truck as his DD. Huge injectors, massive turbo, etc etc and he claimed 11 mpgs... That's ridiculous! A 460 can do better than that! (At half the power)

427 fordman 07-23-2013 05:43 PM

Your mileage won't change much with upgrades, unless you can't keep your foot out of it.

glovemeister 07-23-2013 05:54 PM

I get 12 with my truck. But it is heavier than stock.

tshrager 07-23-2013 06:17 PM

I'm getting 15/16 mixed use average with my mods in my sig.

A couple of things about the mods you listed. What are your HP goals? Stage 2's and definitely 3's are a bad idea for the D66. It flat out can't keep up. Do you tow? What do you want out of your truck and we can point you in the right direction.

El Camino Man 07-24-2013 08:49 AM

Ahh someone asking the right questions lol. Im kinda shooting in the dark on this whole deal.

Here we go: This will be mostly a DD. I have a slide-in camper (one that slides in the back of the truck) that I use occasionally. My father-in-law has a race car that I offer to tow for him a few times a year. And mostly, I want something that is completely reliable but has a good kick in the pants! I have no desire to race or take it to the pulls whatsoever.

If I got 400 hp, I would be blown away. That's plenty for what I want

I notice your sig says stage IIs but no turbo upgrade? Can our stockers handle stage IIs?

tshrager 07-24-2013 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by El Camino Man (Post 13368669)
Ahh someone asking the right questions lol. Im kinda shooting in the dark on this whole deal.

Here we go: This will be mostly a DD. I have a slide-in camper (one that slides in the back of the truck) that I use occasionally. My father-in-law has a race car that I offer to tow for him a few times a year. And mostly, I want something that is completely reliable but has a good kick in the pants! I have no desire to race or take it to the pulls whatsoever.

If I got 400 hp, I would be blown away. That's plenty for what I want

I notice your sig says stage IIs but no turbo upgrade? Can our stockers handle stage IIs?

They can, you just have to keep the boost at or below 30 psi. A lot will depend on budget as well. Some nice stage 1's, D66, intercooler and e fuel can do wonders. Could probably get away without upgrading your HPOP as well. This can be done relatively cheap. If you're looking for reliable 400hp, then I'd be looking at 180/80's (or somewhere in that range) s366 with full mount kit, intercooler, e fuel, T500 HPOP and some good tunes. That should be a nice setup and easily knock on the door of 400hp. You would be right in the range for needing studs, springs and pushrods though. That's the problem with going for power. Bigger power = more supporting mods = more money. What are you running for a trans?

pilgrimbizket 07-24-2013 10:07 PM

Every truck is different too, My ole girl loves 2-stroke

El Camino Man 07-25-2013 10:10 AM

Im going to take a different approach after chatting with Mike (aka fordpride)

Stage I Injectors
S366
Good Tuner
Intercooler
Head Studs
Springs and Pushrods
And of course... do something with the tranny

I may try to stick with my stock turbo for now unless its going to be a huge PITA to put in while the engines in the truck. Then it may be worth the extra $1200+ lol

And also, Iv heard of E-Fuel mentioned a few times. What is that?

tshrager 07-25-2013 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by El Camino Man (Post 13372626)
Im going to take a different approach after chatting with Mike (aka fordpride)

Stage I Injectors
S366
Good Tuner
Intercooler
Head Studs
Springs and Pushrods
And of course... do something with the tranny

I may try to stick with my stock turbo for now unless its going to be a huge PITA to put in while the engines in the truck. Then it may be worth the extra $1200+ lol

And also, Iv heard of E-Fuel mentioned a few times. What is that?

Electric Fuel.

Sounds like a great setup.

El Camino Man 07-25-2013 01:30 PM

So is it just an electric fuel pump or is it a whole fuel system upgrade?

427 fordman 07-25-2013 04:04 PM

It's a whole system upgrade, and is necessary if you do the S366. The turbo uses the plunger hole in the block for the oil return.

Why are we discussing a build in two threads??

El Camino Man 07-25-2013 04:17 PM

They both kind of got out of hand lol. If it helps, each is teaching me something different lol. I think Ill just start a build thread and go from there lol

El Camino Man 07-25-2013 04:28 PM

Hey guys. I have 2 nearly identical threads going on right now so I decided to start a build thread! We can continue this conversation over there. I want to say thanks to everyone who has responded!!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13373462