Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Y-Block V8 (239, 272, 292, 312, 317, 341, 368) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum56/)
-   -   Water Temperature (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1256551-water-temperature.html)

jjurva! 07-20-2013 02:32 AM

Water Temperature

I have a 292 y block in my 60 f100. The temp gauge sits just past half way. Is this normal? I will touch the intake manifold and heads after driving for awhile and they are too hot too hold your hand on. Is this normal?

The Horvaths 07-20-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by jjurva! (Post 13356770)
I have a 292 y block in my 60 f100. The temp gauge sits just past half way. Is this normal? I will touch the intake manifold and heads after driving for awhile and they are too hot too hold your hand on. Is this normal?

The gauges were never meant to be calibrated. Has the point that the gauge reads changed? It may make you rest easier if you were to get a cheap infrared thermometer or other means of reading the actual temperature at the intake manifold by the thermostat housing. That is where engine coolant temperature is perhaps best read.
Also, I don't hold my hand on a hot dashboard that's been sun-baked. Yet it seldom exceeds ~150 F. Your engine is running at a coolant temperature that's approaching boiling. Not something that's comfortable by any means. :-hair

jjurva! 07-21-2013 02:17 AM

I just wasn't too sure. The truck has been sitting for 10 years + and I didn't want to old truck running to hot!

The Horvaths 07-21-2013 06:42 AM

You'd do we'll to thoroughly rinse out the radiator and put new coolant in it.

Tedster9 07-21-2013 07:47 PM

At a minimum, you want to drain out some of the coolant and install new stuff because the corrosion inhibitors get used up over time. Probably not so bad with brass radiators and steel blocks, still.

If anything what you really want to do is make sure the engine is getting hot enough, believe it or not, and soon enough, too.

Even if the temp Gage isn't perfect calibration it should be close enough?

The Horvaths 07-21-2013 09:13 PM

This may be handy. I posted it on 48-56 forum:

BTW: I check it by deliberately filling it to the rim after flushing. I then look, with cap off, for the thermostat to cycle as it starts to warm up. You'll see the water suddenly flow, stop, flow again - if the radiator has cold water in it. Then I put the cap on and wait to see it overflow a bit as the water expands. Then it will find its happy balance. I do this every spring and whenever I buy a new used vehicle. It's cheaper than trouble on the road!

46yblock 07-21-2013 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 13360557)

If anything what you really want to do is make sure the engine is getting hot enough, believe it or not, and soon enough, too.

Even if the temp Gage isn't perfect calibration it should be close enough?

Good Point! I wish my engine would run at least 180 at cruise, rather than 160.
Please, no suggestions though! It has all been covered.

jjurva! 07-24-2013 12:02 AM

Thanks for the input. I wont worry about it unless I see it getting hotter yet. I will check to make sure everything is flowing ok and may even flush the radiator as suggested.

chetspencer 08-02-2013 12:34 AM

I just went from a 7 lb cap to a 16 lb cab and noticed a much cooler yet steady temp a hair past midway on the gauge of my 59 F100 292.
A major improvement yet I'm not sure why.

Running a Aluminum Crossflow radiator with Delo ELC CAT EC1 (Red color) antifreeze rated for 800,000 miles.