Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   1987 E-350 Econoline fuse box diagram? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1256120-1987-e-350-econoline-fuse-box-diagram.html)

chronicnetpro 07-17-2013 07:25 PM

1987 E-350 Econoline fuse box diagram?

Picked up this van that the PO had gutted. I was going to put in some dome lights. Haynes manual useless, so ordered a Chilton's. In the meantime, thought I'd just toddle out there with my meter and fiddle. Found that there was 12v at driver's door with door open. So far, so good. Then I did a stupid thing: I was using an old tail light bulb in a socket as a "test light". Put it across the battery terminals to verify that it was working and "POP!". I think it was so old and crusty it just shorted. Blew the 30 amp fuse in the fuse box. I replaced the fuse. Now, no 12v to fuse box when connected to (driver's side) battery. I checked the only fusible link I could find, which was right above battery. I think I frapped something that feeds the fuse box. I have ordered an electrical manual off ebay. Also checked the motorcraft site, but they only go back to 96. If any kind soul has access to the fuse box wiring, or a diagram showing how it is fed, I would be grateful. Thanks,
Steve:-huh
P.S. Forgot to mention: I am the "oddball", as this is a 6.9L diesel.

subford 07-18-2013 08:42 AM

It is feed by a fuse link coming off the starter relay battery side if you have a charge light.
If you have an ammeter then there is also another fuse link down on the fender below the blower motor.

chronicnetpro 07-18-2013 12:51 PM

subford, thanks very much!

I will check it!:)

chronicnetpro 07-24-2013 08:15 PM

No dome light, no dice...

I hate to admit it, but I'm about to send this thing to the crusher...

I got hayne's, chilton's, and electrical troubleshooting manual off ebay. The diagrams don't appear to be what I've got. The fuse box shown in manual not the same as mine.

I have checked all fuses and fusible links. I think. There was one fusible link on driver's side engine compartment above battery, and 7 on the passenger side near starter solenoid. All good. Still no juice to door switch, or to headlight switch, for that matter. I'm starting to get a feeling that I frapped something important, like the ECM (if it has one).:-arrgh

subford 07-25-2013 06:39 AM

Did you remove the battery on the passenger side and look at the two or three fuse links low behind the battery?
Did you look at the three or four fuse links on the drivers side down near the steering column?

NumberDummy 07-25-2013 07:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Helm (helminc.com) has new original FoMoCo shop manuals, has printed all of FoMoCo's literature since the late 1940's.

1980/89 Econoline fuse panels: 1984/87 is the same (E4UZ-14A068-A), but no other year is. Which years are represented in those gypo shop manuals?

1980/89 Ford truck parts catalog fuse panel (14A068) applications. E = Econoline.

Left (towards bottom of page): 1980/83 // Right: 1984/89.

joshofalltrades 07-25-2013 11:58 AM

bill, as great as it is having the original books to look at, i have to say that there must be an error in the book - because my 87 has the old-style glass fuses, and i know many of them have the more modern blade fuses - which means a completely different fuse box.

also, its common for a given model of fuse box to be used on rigs with different accessories, and thus different fuse positions doing different things. we see it all the time.

some fords from this era had small writing on the fuse box to identify what a given fuse was for - IIRC it was written just above the fuse it was referring to.

NumberDummy 07-25-2013 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by joshofalltrades (Post 13372873)
bill, as great as it is having the original books to look at, i have to say that there must be an error in the book :-huh because my 87 has the old-style glass fuses, and i know many of them have the more modern blade fuses - which means a completely different fuse box.

:-X15 Read my post again. Where did I make any mention of whether the fuses were glass or blades?

I did not .. all I did was list the parts catalog applications for the fuse panels.

Here's a partial list of GLASS fuses (14526) for 1980/89 Econolines.

joshofalltrades 07-25-2013 10:21 PM

I know that most vans from our era had blades, I wasn't trying to say that you said anything wrong, merely that the books seemed incomplete since I know that both styles were used and couldn't be the same part number.

chronicnetpro 07-27-2013 02:39 PM

fusible link testing?

subford, thanks. I did not find any additional fusible links near the aux battery, and no fusible links near the steering column. I tested all fusible links for continuity with pins and a voltmeter and thought they were good. I learned from another poster on another forum that he did the same thing, showed continuity but still had a fried fusible link. As I have gone this far, I suppose the thing to do is replace all existing fusible links with new (and butt connectors, so they can be easily replaced in the future).:-arrgh

chronicnetpro 08-02-2013 01:49 AM

Mystery solved.... partially

Well, I kept scratching around and finally found a fusebox diagram that matched mine.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=255731&.jpg

But my truck is an 87, and this fusebox is from an 88 Econoline. So I started thinking that maybe I've got some kind of "mid-year" mutant that is actually wired as an 88. That might explain why I'm striking out with the EVT manual. It doesn't match what I'm actually seeing. So... I've included this (page 38 INSTRUMENT ILLUMINATION).

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=255732&.jpg

Maybe some kind soul who has a EVT manual for an 88 can take a peek at it and see if it is different from mine. If so, I'll acquire the manual for an 88 and go from there. Thanks, :-huh
Steve
1987 E-350 6.9L Diesel

subford 08-02-2013 06:54 AM

I have the 88 & 85 Econoline EVT manuals and the fuse box diagram in them do not match the above photo.

The page image page 38 you posted does match page 43 of the of the 88 Econoline EVT manual.

Also it does not match any of the fuse box diagrams in the 1988 Econoline large fold out diagrams.

But I think I did see something like that in a past someone posted while working on an Ford Econoline ex-ambulance.

chronicnetpro 08-02-2013 12:40 PM

Thanks, subford.

Based on that info, I will use the EVT I have and go back to searching for "hidden" fusible links that feed fusebox. I am missing voltage at fusebox (#2 for sure) and seeing weird voltage at door (like 8 volts).:-huh

chronicnetpro 08-13-2013 08:42 PM

Fuse box mystery SOLVED!

Thanks to all who responded, particularly subford, who tipped me to the fact that one of the fusible links fed the fuse box. I am going to post everything I learned during this little fiasco, so some other poor schmuck may be able to find the solution a bit quicker.

First, the PO told me this van had a bad glow plug relay. Hey, it's his van, he knows his vehicle, right? Wrong. It was a starter relay. To add to the confusion, if you go to autozone and try to pull up the glow plug relay, they will happily direct you to the wrong part here:
Duralast/Relay - Glow Plug (16126) | 1987 Ford E350 1 ton Van 8 Cylinders 1 6.9L Diesel | AutoZone.com

So, anyway, it's a starter relay. The old one had 3 terminals, the new ones have 4. Just use the two big posts and the "S" terminal. All the fusible links and battery go on one post, ONLY THE STARTER on the other big post. Why this matters: the bracket is a little different on the new relay, you have to revolve it 180 degrees. While doing that, I accidentally moved some wires. I couldn't remember which went to what post (but there had been more than one on EACH). Another poster in the forums said all fusible links and batt on one, only the starter on the other. He was right. During this process I found that one of the fusible links that feeds the fusebox had been on the post with the starter (???). Putting it in the right position got power back to the fusebox.

If you are in need of a fusebox diagram, you might check here:
Auto Fuse Box Diagram » Car fuse box diagram, fuse panel map and layout
You might also search for the year before and after yours. I have an 87 Econoline, but the correct diagram was for an 88.

If you don't have one, the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting manual (off ebay) is a pretty decent book, useful and cheap (about 10 bucks). The Chilton's and Haynes are useless. If you don't have an EVT manual, and are in a big hurry, you might check for a wiring diagram here:
BBB Industries - TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

If you are new to this vehicle (as I was) and still wondering where the damn glow plug relay lives, it's inside the cab, under the engine cover, located at back of engine. It looks like this:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...8_pri_larg.jpg

:)
1987 Ford E-350 6.9L Diesel

leahb1982 09-02-2021 02:40 PM

Signal light issues

The fuse that runs the signal lights keeps blowing. We were on a cross country road trip from Ontario to Alberta. When we got to Alberta we started to lose power and then realized belt had broken. When I looked it up, it was some kind of electrical belt. (Located right by the alternator) It was an easy fix being an 87. We replaced it and moved on down the road. Since that we have no power to the radio, the over head light or the washer fluid pump. The wipers still work. I'm wondering if it's a fuse issue. Because the signal light fuse keeps blowing every few hundred kms. The fuse that was in it when it initially blew was a 9V. But I'm wondering If it was the wrong fuse and it keeps blowing because of that. There is no info in the owners manual that I can find with regard to the fuse panel. We are still on the way road. If anyone has any insight, I'd be great full.