Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   20 inch replacement tires (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1254704-20-inch-replacement-tires.html)

lundman 07-10-2013 11:13 AM

20 inch replacement tires

It may already be on here somewhere but I am close to replacing my Michelin 20 inch A/T tires. I have 130,000 kms on the truck...(80,600 miles) Now I am wondering do I get the same tires or look for something different.
The michelins have been okay but just looking at others.

My needs are mainly highway, and although I have the diesel, I haven't towed much yet with my trailer. Truck is a 2011. I have snow tires on rims already so just need them for the 3 seasons mainly. Want to keep them around the 34.1 height that is standard so the speedo doesn't get thrown out too much. Want a fairly quiet tire, good on rain, dry, and a tread that will last. Truck is standard with no lift or levelling kit.

I plan a long trip soon, going to the Maritimes from Ontario so will want to buy within 2 weeks I think.

So the question is for those that have replaced the OEM tires and changed, what tires did you choose and how happy are you with them?

Appreciate your comments.

Olds69442 07-10-2013 11:49 AM

I went with the Nitto LT295/65R20 E129/126Q on the stock rims. Fit well. minor rubbing on driver control arm at full left turn. Mileage went down a bit due to the heavier tire.

I bought them Oct 2012 have 30,000 miles on them. looks like will get to 45,000 or 50,000 miles

Great in snow and rain. Reasonably quiet.

Nipperdog 07-10-2013 11:53 AM

Terra Grappler

lundman 07-10-2013 11:59 AM

tires

Originally Posted by Nipperdog (Post 13328114)

That link looks good but I read other comments on the web....10/10 and the tire rack.... where those tires did not have very good mileage before wearing out? I expect the Nitto web page to only post positive comments though. Looking for people that have had tires on for a while and think they are great.

720Deere 07-10-2013 03:57 PM

I just replaced the Michelins with Nitto Terra Grappler 295/60/20 Monday morning. The speedometer reads within 1 mph of GPS and the odometer is right around the 3.5% less than actual distance traveled which is pretty much what I saw with the factory Michelins when they were new.

I haven't driven much more than 100 miles with them yet, but I'm guessing I lost about 0.5-0.75 mpg with this larger, heavier tire than I was seeing with the worn out Michelins. I don't expect to get 50,000 miles out of the Terra Grappler, but the key is to rotate them every 5,000 miles. The Michelins saw 7-8,000 miles a few times and I know that reduced their life somewhat. I ended up with 48,000 on them and could have gone another 5,000 or so but have some long trips coming up with my 15,000 lb fifth wheel and didn't want to take the chance.

Painted Horse 07-10-2013 04:39 PM

If you got 86,000 miles out of your Michelins you are doing something very right. I'm almost 90,000 miles on my truck and more than half way thru my 3rd set of tires. They are a 30,000 mile tire for my use.

The 295/60R20 Terra Grapplers are the same height as your Michelins, Just 1.5" wider. So they "pinch" just a little going on your stock 8.0" rims. Not a big deal if you run empty. But you will see them wear faster if you run them heavily loaded. They recommend a 8.5" wheel.

My experience with the Nitto and Toyos has not been exceptional long tread mileage.

Pacman51 07-10-2013 07:23 PM

Terra Grapplers are crap......I have 23,000 miles on mine and they are done.....need to get new tires within the next month.

TyWebb 07-10-2013 09:10 PM

Bought/installed BFG all-terrain 285/65/20's about 5000 miles ago. So far love these over stock and little or no difference in noise

LMS Residential 07-10-2013 09:29 PM

I think you may have answered your own question. I got 91k out of my Michelin AT/2s and they still had about 5/32" tread but were getting squirrely in the rain. Replaced with the same tire and expecting more of the same. The new AT/2s do seem a little noisier.

lundman 07-11-2013 01:20 PM

michelin tires

Went to a couple of tires places, one the dealership. Went to Green and Ross and got a quote on new Michelin A/T 2 at $1,538.00 installed, balanced, taxes in and life time tire rotation.

Went to the Ford Dealership and talked with the service manager and he said the Michelin A/T 2 tires wear more on the shoulder, especially if towing. He said a better tire as far as Michelin is concerned is the Michelin M/S 2 tires. Around the same price but he said they wear better and are better for towing.

Everyone has their own opinion on tires but always nice to hear about actually real experiences from the Super Duty club members. I will need them soon so will need to decide probably within 2-3 weeks.

I had Good Year Wrangler Pro Grades on my Former Chev truck and they were good, especially in the snow. I don't need a snow tire though as I have an extra set of rims and winter tires already.

flyinnuts 07-13-2013 06:14 AM

After 60k, the stock Michelins were in need of replacement. My only complaint on the LTX2's was the poor performance in mud, so they were left out of the replacement thought process.
It came down to the Nitto terra grappler and the Bridgestone Dueler Revo. Went with the Revo's due to the repeated mention of poor wear on the Nittos.
I only have 300 miles on the Bridgestones but no change in mileage and they are quieter than the Michelins even with the more aggressive tread.
$274 per as the local Quick Lane matches the lowest advertised price(Discount).

WildWildWest 07-13-2013 09:33 AM

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 will get as many or more miles than your Michelins and is a quiet and excellent wearing tire - I've had great experiences with Cooper tires over the last ten years - I replace all of my OEM tires with Cooper on all of our vehicles.

More expensive than your Michelin's if you pay retail, but you should be able to find a shop that will do them for no more than $350 per tire installed in Canada ($1,400), and possibly less. Diameter is 34.2 for the Cooper A/T3 LT 275/65R20

I am about to change my tires next week but I'm going with the new Cooper S/T Maxx but I have aftermarket 18" rims and no longer have factory 20's. They don't make the S/T Maxx in 20" yet. Always lots of opinions here, but I find for Canadian driving the Coopers last longer and perform better on some of our harsh highways and changing temperatures.

JReinert 07-13-2013 10:13 AM

I tried the BFG all-terrain and they did not last. I think they changed the rubber compound or something. I have had five sets of these of previous trucks and had good luck with them, not this time. I also developed the death wobble with these tires towards the end of their 30k mile life. I put Hancook dynapro ATm's on this time and at 29k miles they still look new and have not had the death wobble since.

lundman 07-13-2013 12:11 PM

tires

Well, think I have decided on the Toyo Open Country AT 2's. Been really researching on the web and trying to get a feel for them. I stopped off hoping to see them at a tire shop but they were sold out. Guy called and there is a 4 to 6 week waiting period. Guess they have to come across the ocean or wherever they come from. Guy phoned head office and none in the Toronto warehouse either. (or OK tires warehouses)

Not a lot of choices with the 20 inch rims. Nitto Grappler, Michelin LTX A/T 2,s a bit of good year tires, Cooper tires. It was between the Grappler and Toyo but the 80 000 mile warranty on LT Toyo tires and the reviews swayed me. My quote is just over $1,600.00 out the door so a bit more expensive than the others but will give them a try.

Any last words? :-drink

rod330 07-13-2013 07:32 PM

I'll be going with the Bridgestone Dueler Revos when the time comes. I had great luck with them on my 2001 F150 and my wife has them on her Lincoln Navigator 4x4. Great tread pattern, long life and quiet ride.