Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need help! Bad fuel=4 bad injectors (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1253889-need-help-bad-fuel-4-bad-injectors.html)

Smokiesman 07-09-2013 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by thcooler (Post 13325026)
has anyone heard of the fuel tanks coming apart and jacking up injector pumps and clogging injector around 150000 miles. friend went to a class on ford diesels and was told that early 2000s trucks are doing this and ford wont recall them. maybe thats her problem

If that was the case I would think the whole engine would shut down!:-huh Been following this thread and I sure hope we can get this ladys truck back to runnin!!:-X22:-X22:-X22 hang in there Lisa we got some smart guys here !!:-jammin

Smokie

Tugly 07-09-2013 06:13 PM

has anyone heard of the fuel tanks coming apart and jacking up injector pumps and clogging injector around 150000 miles. friend went to a class on ford diesels and was told that early 2000s trucks are doing this and ford wont recall them. maybe thats her problem

That problem is with the vans and chassis trucks - they have steel tanks. Well... all of the coating in the tank is sloughing off and clogging the whole pump/strainer system with cottage cheese.

F350-6 07-09-2013 07:27 PM

As mentioned, the liner comes off the steel tanks in cab & chassis models and some vans. Pick up truck have a plastic tank with no lining.

The lining coming off doesn't kill the injectors because there's this thing called the fuel filter between the tank and the injectors.

It doesn't kill the injector pump because the 7.3 is a HEUI system and doesn't have a fuel injector pump. It also doesn't tend to clog the electric fuel pump, which is a constant volume pump, because there are screens in the pick up assembly in the fuel tank that catch big crud first and tend to become plugged before all that bad stuff even leaves the tank.

Your friend should start asking some questions in his class if that's what they are telling him.

LisaE 07-09-2013 10:32 PM

Thanks Guys....So not the fuel injector pump.
Okay...back to the electrical? Ugh...I just don't know where I should be sticking the probes of the ohm meter to get to the bottom of this. We have done the tests on the 42 pin harness. Not sure how I should test the UCVH. Kind of at a loss as what my next test or step should be.
Please keep in mind I am on my own trying to fix now...Hubby is back out of town for work...I can do it though, with all of your help of course! :)

LisaE 07-10-2013 12:36 PM

Engine Control Module?
I have been told this could be the problem...And the only way to fix is at the dealer? For a minimum cost of $1500...and that may be just for the part itself?

Dan V 07-10-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by LisaE (Post 13328242)
Engine Control Module?
I have been told this could be the problem...And the only way to fix is at the dealer? For a minimum cost of $1500...and that may be just for the part itself?

I'm not yes or no on the pcm being the cause....but a pcm can be had for well under that....easy.

modmxz 07-10-2013 10:44 PM

Lisa, I just ordered a pcm flashed to my vin# for less than $500.00 If you determine that is what it is I can give you the number. Mine should be here tomorrow and hopefully be the fix.

tappit01 07-10-2013 10:55 PM

i paid $110 for a used one at "car-part.com" only took 10 min to swap out.

LisaE 07-11-2013 12:11 AM

Yes...Please let me know if that works.
Chris...How do you swap out that module if I was to go pick one up?
Also, is their a way for me to test weather or not this is the issue?

tappit01 07-11-2013 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by LisaE (Post 13330210)
Yes...Please let me know if that works.
Chris...How do you swap out that module if I was to go pick one up?
Also, is their a way for me to test weather or not this is the issue?

i personally don't no how to test them. but here is a link that explains how to remove and install the pcm with pics. you might even contact dp-tuner and ask about re-flashing yours . have you tried contacting any local shops that work on these trucks to see if some one could just scan it and read the codes for you. i'd hate to see you throw parts at the truck hoping you get the right one.

http://www.dp-tuner.com/files/dp-tun...stallation.pdf

hydro man 17 07-11-2013 02:01 PM

Lisa
Not sure if I missed something along the way but you mentioned buying a code reader that did not show any codes. If it was an inexpensive unit from an auto parts store it can't read most of the codes on these trucks. You need an Auto Enginuity or Snap-on type scan tool with Ford specific software installed. I think you mentioned the CEL light came on, if so there are code(s) that will help a lot.

LisaE 07-11-2013 11:05 PM

Hydro man...Yes..we were told the little code reader would work. We now know that it does not and we need the AE one.
Cant go to the dealer right yet...cash flow is limited till next month.
Chris, Thank for that link...I can do that! lol What is re-flashing?
Thanks

tappit01 07-11-2013 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by LisaE (Post 13333188)
Chris, Thank for that link...I can do that! lol What is re-flashing?
Thanks

reflash= reprogram , give dp a call and see what they have to say. :)

LisaE 07-11-2013 11:40 PM

Will do thank you!

cleatus12r 07-11-2013 11:58 PM

It cannot be the PCM so scratch that. The PCM does not control what injector is given an electrical command. The PCM simply "tells" the IDM when to command injector "firing" and for how long; not WHICH injector is commanded. That decision is left up to the IDM ONLY.