Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Working through my Valley Oil Leak; opinions please (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1253023-working-through-my-valley-oil-leak-opinions-please.html)

Jesser02EX 07-01-2013 07:27 PM

Working through my Valley Oil Leak; opinions please

I'm in the process of tracking down an oil leak in my valley and would like opinions on anything I'm missing.

It started with a leaky ICP sensor ... replaced but oil continues
For giggles, I confirmed it wasn't the rear main seal... check!

the orange boots in the center of the valley are both dry and well sealed without any signs of being saturation in oil.

Used simple green and really cleaned left & right High Pressure oil fittings... clean and dry

Cleaned "Non Serviceable" plug area best I could. Seems to be ok, but I can't confirm due to location.

Cleaned the IPR and it looks dry without leak...

I'm trying to see the plug on the passenger side to evaluate leak possibilities...

HPOP reservoir doesn't show signs of oil leaking around top seal nor areas I can see.

Looked at Turbo Pedestal appears dry from what I can see.

Clean CCV dog house, an although it still looks moist, it doesn't appear to have major oil runoff...

So, what am I missing, or forgot to check. I can drive the truck and then soak up small puddles of oil in valley. When parked on a slight incline, it's running out the valley and down the back of the flywheel on my driveway.

If I soak it up with shop towels my wife is ok, but complains I'm always under the hood.

I've owned the truck for just over a month and the previous owner had a HPOP leak fixed, but obviously not very well. My local diesel shop's only answer is a new HPOP. After reading all the threads here, it can have all new O-Rings so that's positive.

If I can save $600 and on a HPOP and really service the fuel bowl, High Pressure oil lines, Plenium inserts, etc...

Looking for some input/suggestions..

Thanks

Jmatthews 07-01-2013 08:10 PM

Are you sure it's oil and not diesel fuel?

F350-6 07-01-2013 08:13 PM

Clean it all up again, and then shove some rags in the valley around all of the suspect areas. Go for a short test drive and check all the rags for signs of oil. If none, drive some more until one of the rags shows oil. That should help you narrow it down.

If necessary, use more rags and tie them around lines or fittings and stuff multiple rags into tight spots to help isolate the leak. Another option would be to visit the parts store and get some UV dye and a black light and see if you can follow the trail that way.

Jesser02EX 07-01-2013 08:38 PM

I'm sure it's oil because its black and thick. I'm sure the fuel bowel needs a rebuild but it's too thick to be diesel... I think. I had another suggest fuel might be the leak, being unfamiliar aside from smell how can I tell oil from diesel?

Great idea with the rags. I'll try that again. The first try they disappeared and I couldn't find them.

caverjoe 07-01-2013 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jesser02EX (Post 13303517)
I'm in the process of tracking down an oil leak in my valley and would like opinions on anything I'm missing.

It started with a leaky ICP sensor ... replaced but oil continues
For giggles, I confirmed it wasn't the rear main seal... check!

the orange boots in the center of the valley are both dry and well sealed without any signs of being saturation in oil.

Used simple green and really cleaned left & right High Pressure oil fittings... clean and dry

Cleaned "Non Serviceable" plug area best I could. Seems to be ok, but I can't confirm due to location.

Cleaned the IPR and it looks dry without leak...

I'm trying to see the plug on the passenger side to evaluate leak possibilities...

HPOP reservoir doesn't show signs of oil leaking around top seal nor areas I can see.

Looked at Turbo Pedestal appears dry from what I can see.

Clean CCV dog house, an although it still looks moist, it doesn't appear to have major oil runoff...

So, what am I missing, or forgot to check. I can drive the truck and then soak up small puddles of oil in valley. When parked on a slight incline, it's running out the valley and down the back of the flywheel on my driveway.

If I soak it up with shop towels my wife is ok, but complains I'm always under the hood.

I've owned the truck for just over a month and the previous owner had a HPOP leak fixed, but obviously not very well. My local diesel shop's only answer is a new HPOP. After reading all the threads here, it can have all new O-Rings so that's positive.

If I can save $600 and on a HPOP and really service the fuel bowl, High Pressure oil lines, Plenium inserts, etc...

Looking for some input/suggestions..

Thanks

1) If the wife is really complaining about being under the hood, might want to think about trading her in. Always good to start with the known problems.
2) If you need an HPOP talk to Joey about a t500.
3) my money is on the non servicable (but really servicable) plug. That was my culprit
OUT

Jesser02EX 07-01-2013 10:35 PM

Can the turbo pedestal leak oil? There is a lot of gunk on the pedestal and passenger valve cover back under the exhaust side of turbo...

bigb56 07-01-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jesser02EX (Post 13304200)
Can the turbo pedestal leak oil? There is a lot of gunk on the pedestal and passenger valve cover back under the exhaust side of turbo...

yes it can leak. There are o rings on the top, o rings on the bottom and seals around the EBP actuator and rod.

Jesser02EX 07-02-2013 12:01 AM

What is the ERB and AIC delete?

hammer65 07-02-2013 05:26 AM

I went through the same problem, and found it to be the plug on the drivers side head. In the front, just in front and below the ICP. It rarely leaks I am told.
It has a ball and spring under it so be careful if you take it out, to replace o'ring.

Jesser02EX 07-02-2013 11:08 AM

I haven't ruled out the non-service plug, but it just isn't dirty enough after my cleanings. The turbo pedestal is!

Toreador_Diesel 07-02-2013 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by bigb56 (Post 13304348)
yes it can leak. There are o rings on the top, o rings on the bottom and seals around the EBP actuator and rod.

BINGO!!!!

Had the same problem the Winter of 2010 and ended up replacing my turbo pedesdal with one of these Spring 2011:

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal 99.5-03

And my exhaust outlet with one of these:

Riffraff Diesel: Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet

Problem permanently solved...

I also purchased the Mechanic's Cabinet and resealed the top end while I was that deep in to the engine:

Riffraff Diesel: "Mechanics Parts Cabinet" Combo kit

79CEEJAY 07-02-2013 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jesser02EX (Post 13305398)
I haven't ruled out the non-service plug, but it just isn't dirty enough after my cleanings. The turbo pedestal is!

I have chased my share of oil leaks in the valley. First off, clean the valley with simple green. The like F350-6 said, put a shop towel right in the middle of the valley. This will tell you if the leak is in the front or back. Here is what I found in mine. After days of cleaning, looking, cleaning, looking i laid on top of the motor AT NIGHT with it running eith a flash light and a mirror. Seems at night it is easier to pinpoint and illuminate specific areas easier. Well, I found the leak! It was the gasket where the HPOP mounts. OK, no problem. Went to Guzzle and ordered the o ring, cnahged it out and reassembled. Guess what? Oil leak still there!! Back to the drawing board. looked closer again and realized the "non serviceable" plug is loose and leaking around and under the pump. It looked just like it was coming from under the pump and the mounting gasket for the pump. Well, I have it together and really don't want to take it apart. So, I get a cheap open end/box end and heat and bend so it will fit the "non serviceable" plug. I give it a slight turn util snug....thank goodness it didn't strip out, and it tightens right up with no proble. I had the International repair kit just in case I had to go that route.

So....in summary, split up the valley with rags, then take a real close look at that 'non serviceable" plug. As a matter of fact, go ahead and jam a shop towel right uder it, and I bet that is where your problem is.

Jesser02EX 07-05-2013 08:25 PM

Ok everyone, I haven't dropped this and have now had time to trace it out. It's in the front of the valley. Somewhere around the HPOP, I'll need to really pay attention see where, but at least it's in the front for now. Looks like a fuel bowl rebuild, new oil lines, and HPOP gaskets all the way around.

It's cheaper for the short time... I'll keep a watch out. The towels in the valley told the story!

Jesser02EX 07-11-2013 12:34 PM

Update 7/11/13:

I have finally been able to get a good look at the under area of the HPOP. Taking suggestions I've determined my oil is from the front of the valley.

With a lighted mirror I found the IPR was really gunky and oil was all around behind the IPR on the HPOP housing. I still had some gunk around the Non-servicable plug that I couldn't clean.

Well yesterday at Harbor Freight I found an Engine cleaning air hose that would suck cleaning fluid and blow it out under pressure. Thanks to that little tool I'm clean now! I was able to get everywhere with the simple green and knocked a bunch of crap out.

I'll drive more today and see if I can locate the leak. With just the motor running, I'm unable to see it leaking from anywhere I can access with the mechanics mirror or with my eyes.

My last thought is the actual HPOP gasket that mounts it to the motor, because the resivoir seal appears tight and without leaks.

F350-6 07-11-2013 07:39 PM

I'm interested to see a picture or link of your new tool. That air cleaner sounds like something I'd like to have.