Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   trying to get the old beast runnin...help lol (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1252696-trying-to-get-the-old-beast-runnin-help-lol.html)

blueriverbob 06-30-2013 12:06 PM

trying to get the old beast runnin...help lol

So I got my 55 f250 home. Decided to keep it 6 volt as I just want this to be a budget restore to a putting around truck. Got a new battery and installed. 6.1 volts at the battery. 4.6 volts at the coil (but not sure what its suppose to be). Turned it over and it seemed to turn over very slow (however I am not versed in 6 volt so don't know if that is normal), and seems to be no fire at the wires or its so weak I cant see it (guess I could talk the wife into touching it lol).

The truck ran about two years ago and has sat since. I am thinking to start at the starter and taking it apart to see if its just hanging up inside and not getting enough rotation.

Feel free to chime in for assistance lmao. I just feel great that it turns over. Thinking that anything that will turn over will eventually start :-X03 I have pics posted on my album and for 1,000 bucks I think I got a good deal still.

Blue River Bob

Kurt G. 06-30-2013 12:52 PM

Welcome Bob are you familiar with the 6v system? my 55 was pos ground and also did not like starting. I converted to 12v but honestly 6v will be fine if all is working ok.

The Horvaths 06-30-2013 01:19 PM

I'd check battery cables and connections. I would not dig into the starter until I knew I had to. You can use a volt meter and find where the most voltage is dropped while cranking. That will point to any bad connections or maybe even burned starter solenoid contacts.

Mr Mayo 06-30-2013 01:32 PM

Don't overlook the importance of good, clean ground connections.

blueriverbob 06-30-2013 04:30 PM

All advice taken and thanks. I started at the battery and right of the bat the pos to the relay has a 6 inch wear to about 1/4 in the wire. Going to replace all cables and a new regulator. The start of my receipt keeping :D

ALBUQ F-1 06-30-2013 05:02 PM

AutoZone or similar battery cables are NOT sufficient for 6v. You need cables that are #00 gauge. ("double aught") It's the nature of these engines to crank slower than you'd believe, even when all is well.

tnguynaford 07-01-2013 01:14 AM

Congrats, Bob, and welcome
Just a couple thoughts...
Remember that it is a positive ground system.
And the coil should be getting battery voltage when key is in run position.

38 coupe 07-02-2013 07:16 PM

Did you install the battery positive ground? Did you clean and gap the points, then time the distributor?

As others have said you need good condition, large diameter, battery cables. Take the battery cable ends loose and clean the connections.

Also, make sure someone didn't install a 12V coil at some time in the past.

ben73058 07-02-2013 08:06 PM

Hey Bob,
You don't want to keep receipts & track the truck expenses. No.... bad idea .. You want to be able to deny all knowledge of costs... "Oh I just bought this truck thingee when I was buying you that real nice xxxx...".

Good luck over there in Oregon!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1