Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nevada Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum181/)
-   -   Las Vegas/Henderson Diesel Shop (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1250872-las-vegas-henderson-diesel-shop.html)

Shad034 06-21-2013 04:05 PM

Las Vegas/Henderson Diesel Shop

Hello everyone. I'm new around here. I've purchased my first diesel (first truck too), a 2007 F250 CC Short Bed. I'm looking for a recommendation on the best place in Las Vegas/Henderson to keep it serviced as, from reading these forums, I understand its very painful to neglect the 6.0.

So what shop does everyone use around here? I'm down near Autoshow, so the Ford Dealer is the closest, but I don't have much experience with diesel and know nothing about whether they are good or not.

william_04_x 06-24-2013 06:05 PM

Welcome to FTE.. :-X22

I strongly recommend doing all the basic PM yourself. None of it is difficult, and in the long run you'll be ahead with time, money, and gain greater knowledge/familiarity of your truck.

If that's out of the question, the dealerships are the best bet for getting the right parts/fluids installed correctly. Even they aren't a guarantee, and their services are spendy. John Hast is the best 6.0l tech at Ford Country. Independent shops don't always know the intricacies of the 6.0l, which can cost you big time down the road.

If you want some pointers, let me know. I'll be happy to show you around your truck. Might cost you a burger and a soda though. :D

Shad034 06-24-2013 06:25 PM

Excellent info. I'm not opposed to doing PM myself, I'm fairly mechanically inclined. However, I know little about diesel tech and, reading these forums, a bit concerned about hosing up the 6.0l and ending up with a huge bill from my negligence.

I bought the truck about a month ago and it appears pretty much stock. I bought from Carmax and have their 3 year/125k warranty on it too. Oasis report shows that it had the oil cooler and EGR cooler replaced at 66k (its about 80K now). I'm usually a dealer-maintenance kinda guy, but I'm seeing that most of the mods that make a 6.0 reliable might not be something the dealership can do since they aren't "Ford" parts etc. I figured that one of the independent shops might be better for taking care of the 6.0 since they can deviate from the "Ford" way.

All that being said, I'd love to hear some feedback from folks that run their trucks in our neck of the woods (hot summers, no winter) on keeping them alive. Its my 5er tow vehicle so having it crap out while I have the family and the 5th on the back is not optimal. :-X18

william_04_x 06-24-2013 07:23 PM

Hang out in the 6.0 forum, buy a monitor to watch the vitals, and keep up on the PM. Anything can happen on the road, but a lot of major problems can be forseen, or completely avoided with what I've suggested. I tow an +11k# toy hauler, and its got 100k miles behind my 6.0l. Its been on the hook twice. I'm fine with that, as I show it no mercy.

UNclesams_PSD 06-26-2013 07:51 AM

There are a few "must do" items to keep your 6.0 running for years to come. I had a 05' 6.0 160k before i traded it in.

This is what I would do/and did to my truck:

I would ditch the factory egr cooler and either delete it or get a bullet proof one.

Get the upgraded fuel pressure spring

Install a 1 piece stc fitting

Clean the VGV's in the turbo

Flush the coolant and install a coolant filter

I also always ran additive in my truck to avoid any future injector issues

There are more things you can do like studs, head gaskets...etc, but these will ensure trouble free driving.

Shad034 06-26-2013 11:01 AM

Do you have a shop you would recommend for that type of work? I'm assuming that the dealership probably won't do some of those mods.

Shad034 08-15-2013 04:53 PM

No shop recommendations? Where does everyone get their mod's and modded trucks serviced?

Wayne Eady 09-19-2013 02:04 AM

I just moved to Vegas and had to pass smog. Not having an EGR valve caused me to fail. I went to Diesel Doctor and they hooked me up. They treated me more than fairly. (and I do mean MORE than fairly) Knowing what I needed to pass smog, they could have screwed me over but they did not. I was more than pleased with their knowledge of my truck (05 F350) and even more pleased with the service they provided. They will get my business and recommendation.

Shad034 09-19-2013 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne Eady (Post 13546652)
I just moved to Vegas and had to pass smog. Not having an EGR valve caused me to fail. I went to Diesel Doctor and they hooked me up. They treated me more than fairly. (and I do mean MORE than fairly) Knowing what I needed to pass smog, they could have screwed me over but they did not. I was more than pleased with their knowledge of my truck (05 F350) and even more pleased with the service they provided. They will get my business and recommendation.

First, thanks for the response! I've been hoping someone around the area could speak to a trustworthy diesel shop.

Second, I've considered doing some EGR work, but haven't since I was concerned about the smog implications. What did you have done and what did they have to "undo" to pass smog?

CARdiologist 03-05-2014 02:03 AM

I opened my own shop last year

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 13283049)
Hang out in the 6.0 forum, buy a monitor to watch the vitals, and keep up on the PM. Anything can happen on the road, but a lot of major problems can be forseen, or completely avoided with what I've suggested. I tow an +11k# toy hauler, and its got 100k miles behind my 6.0l. Its been on the hook twice. I'm fine with that, as I show it no mercy.

Hey William, John Hast here. Thank you for the ataboy but I am no longer at the dealer I have left and opened my own shop AJ'S Auto Service off of Stephanie and Russell!