Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   2007 Navigator L Sound Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1249474-2007-navigator-l-sound-problems.html)

jimb726 06-14-2013 09:11 AM

2007 Navigator L Sound Problems

I have a new to me Lincoln Navigator L. In a nutshell the soundsystem sounds terrible. Very little bass, hollow sounding. If I were a betting man I would say that an amplifier isnt working or is failing. I had it into a delaer and they claimed it was fine but I have been in other Navigators that sound worlds better than this, even my F350 sounds much better. Any suggestions on what I can check to see what the problem might be?

Thanks in Advance

berry1234 06-14-2013 11:03 AM

Do all the speakers sound bad? Put the sound field to ALL SPEAKERS and then move the balance and fade to each speaker. Do they sound similar? Is the sub working? How does the AUX INPUT sound VS. CD?

jimb726 06-14-2013 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 13253951)
Do all the speakers sound bad? Put the sound field to ALL SPEAKERS and then move the balance and fade to each speaker. Do they sound similar? Is the sub working? How does the AUX INPUT sound VS. CD?

They all sound tinny, the sub works, but doesnt sound powered, all speakers sound the same. It does sound better when I use the rear seat entertainment but, for example, in order to hear a movie, i need to have the volume well over 1/2 way. Its a wierd thing but I know its not right, but I dont know why its not right.

montecarlo31 06-14-2013 02:12 PM

The navigator had a different system (THX certified if I am not mistaken) than the Expedition. However my 13 KR with the bass set on 0 still thumps pretty good. I would take it in and see what the dealer says, I've never been in a navigator that sounded tinny granted I've only been in two or 3 so it's hard to tell for sure.

jimb726 06-14-2013 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by montecarlo31 (Post 13254373)
The navigator had a different system (THX certified if I am not mistaken) than the Expedition. However my 13 KR with the bass set on 0 still thumps pretty good. I would take it in and see what the dealer says, I've never been in a navigator that sounded tinny granted I've only been in two or 3 so it's hard to tell for sure.

I did take it in and they said it was fine. Of course they werent able to verify the drivers window that wouldnt go down, or the rear quarter window that wouldnt open, unfortunately for me, my extended warranty expired before I could get it to another dealer so now I am stuck self-diagnosing.

RI-Matt 06-14-2013 09:06 PM

What stereo is in it ? Navigation or just CD ?
Seeing as you bought it used, are you 100% sure it has the correct radio in it ? ( The way it came from the factory)

Navigators used a seperate DSP amp/module between the radio and the speakers. The unit is mounted in the dash around where the console and dash meet.
Try unplugging the amp on the top of the sub and see if it changes anything. ( should be able to just pull the 3rd row cup holder on drivers side and reach in to disconnect it )
Have you tried doing the speaker walk around test ?

Matt

jimb726 06-14-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by RI-Matt (Post 13255465)
What stereo is in it ? Navigation or just CD ?
Seeing as you bought it used, are you 100% sure it has the correct radio in it ? ( The way it came from the factory)

Navigators used a seperate DSP amp/module between the radio and the speakers. The unit is mounted in the dash around where the console and dash meet.
Try unplugging the amp on the top of the sub and see if it changes anything. ( should be able to just pull the 3rd row cup holder on drivers side and reach in to disconnect it )
Have you tried doing the speaker walk around test ?

Matt

It's the nav radio, definitely correct and original to the vehicle. I have the original window sticker. It was actually replaced under warranty (the radio) due to inoperative nav. I've heard of the walk around test, not sure how to do it?

Thanks,
Jim

RI-Matt 06-15-2013 04:50 PM

Jim for the speaker walk around test try this.

1.Turn the audio unit on.(FM/AM)

2.Press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds. The speaker walk-around test will begin.

Also, there is a chance that when they replaced the radio under warranty that it wasn't programmed correctly.
Have you checked the fuses for the THX amp? I think they are #38 and #40.

Matt

jimb726 06-15-2013 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by RI-Matt (Post 13257145)
Jim for the speaker walk around test try this.

1.Turn the audio unit on.(FM/AM)

2.Press and hold preset buttons 3 and 6 for 3 seconds. The speaker walk-around test will begin.

Also, there is a chance that when they replaced the radio under warranty that it wasn't programmed correctly.
Have you checked the fuses for the THX amp? I think they are #38 and #40.

Matt

Ok, first I really appreciate the help. It seems that the walk around test worked, all the speakers that were supposed to make sound did. I did find and check each fuse, they are both good, the weird thing is, when I pulled each fuse there was no change in sound quality. Shouldn't pulling the fuses cause the sound to change?

montecarlo31 06-15-2013 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by jimb726 (Post 13257860)
Ok, first I really appreciate the help. It seems that the walk around test worked, all the speakers that were supposed to make sound did. I did find and check each fuse, they are both good, the weird thing is, when I pulled each fuse there was no change in sound quality. Shouldn't pulling the fuses cause the sound to change?

If those were the fuses for the radio yes, I believe it should have caused the AMP to drop out, I'm not sure if you unplugged the AMP why sound would still be coming out. On any system I've ever had / installed a dead amp equals no beats. I would double check your wiring diagram to make sure the fuses you pulled were in fact for the amp powering the speakers.

RI-Matt 06-16-2013 06:56 AM

Jim,
Can you go back and do the speaker walk around test again but this time press the "End Test" button. This will bring up another screen labeled "Bezel Diagnostics".
Press the "Configuration Status". Write down all the info listed ( ie. AM Test Station, THX DSP........) make sure to scroll down as there are about 4 pages of info.
Then press "Return" which will bring you back to that first screen.
Now press "System Info", again write down what it says ( ie. Nav Radio Part Number......)

Matt

jimb726 06-17-2013 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by RI-Matt (Post 13258277)
Jim,
Can you go back and do the speaker walk around test again but this time press the "End Test" button. This will bring up another screen labeled "Bezel Diagnostics".
Press the "Configuration Status". Write down all the info listed ( ie. AM Test Station, THX DSP........) make sure to scroll down as there are about 4 pages of info.
Then press "Return" which will bring you back to that first screen.
Now press "System Info", again write down what it says ( ie. Nav Radio Part Number......)

Matt

As Requested

Radio Configuration Status:
AM Test Station 1170
THX DSP Not Available
FES Available
RSEM Not Available
SDARS Available
Phone Module Not Available
Clock Display Off
Convertible Not Enabled
Center Amp Enable Not Enabled
Stereo II Input Enabled
Surround 5.1 Not Enabled
External Amp Not Enabled
Subwoofer Not Enabled
HEV Disabled
CID Disabled
SWC POD Type 5 Position
Brand Lincoln
SWC 2 POD Type 5 Position
Run/ACC H/W
Illumination MS-CAN
Vehicle Speed MS-CAN
Reverse Park Aid Not Used
SWC H/W
Delay Accessory MS-CAN
FES Multi-channel Enabled
SWC 2 H/W
Language English
Reverse Gear N/W
Display Units English
Voice Recognition Enabled
Limited FES Disabled
Back Illum. Color White

System Information:
Nav Radio Part Number 7L7T-18K931-EB
Audio/System Software Version 3-9-21-2006
Nav. Soft Version 3.040000
FES Software Product ID 8-0-0-7-2
SDARS Software Product ID 30-0-0-7-3
PSC Software Product ID - - - -
DSP Software Product ID 0-80-20-7-2

Hopefully this makes sense, lol. Again, thank you for your help.

Jim

RI-Matt 06-17-2013 08:35 AM

Jim
Unfortunately that's kind of what I expected. It looks like the unit was not properly programmed for your vehicle because I believe the THX DSP is supposed to be enabled as well as the subwoofer. What you need to do is have the dealer check another navigator in the same way to see if those functions are Enabled on a similar model. You said the radio was replaced under warranty, was that while you owned it or the previous owner?

Matt

jimb726 06-17-2013 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RI-Matt (Post 13261269)
Jim
Unfortunately that's kind of what I expected. It looks like the unit was not properly programmed for your vehicle because I believe the THX DSP is supposed to be enabled as well as the subwoofer. What you need to do is have the dealer check another navigator in the same way to see if those functions are Enabled on a similar model. You said the radio was replaced under warranty, was that while you owned it or the previous owner?

Matt

I had the same question in my mind as soon as I started typing these for you. We bought the Navigator in February and it came with the balance of the Certified Pre Owned vehicle warranty. We had an issue where the nav unit kept freezing up and we had some other issues so we took it in to get everything replaced all at once, including the navigation unit. The dealer is a real jerk and my CPO has since expired so I am dreading calling them to get this straightened out. This isnt something that can be enabled outside the dealership is it?

Jim

RI-Matt 06-17-2013 06:23 PM

Might try these guys, I think they do reprogramming.

United Radio - Automotive Electronics - Quality Electronics Service Since 1923

Also, you might want to check and make sure the DSP/Amp is still in the vehicle and not removed by previous owner.
If you send me a PM with your email I can send you the pdf on how to remove it.

Matt